Wasp Deluxe

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bloody hell, this sounds good for 150 quid.

Just got it in the Black Friday sales along with the Behringer Cat, which also sounds excellent.

But this Wasp Deluxe sounds absolutely amazing for a price less than that of many synth VSTs and with that chaotic kind of punchy analogue timbre that VSTs can only struggle to simulate.

I got my OB-6 back from repair this week too so was playing around with it at the same time. Honestly, to me the Wasp sounds better (and it also has a notch filter) than the OB-6 even though the latter costs about 15 times more.

This has to be the best sound quality/cost ratio available in the synth hardware market.

I was very, very tempted by the Behringer CAT. The Wasp is pretty well-known comparatively. I just ordered something odder potentially.
Have a listen to what Keen on Keys did with the CAT.

Torchlight wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:57 am But this Wasp Deluxe sounds absolutely amazing for a price less than that of many synth VSTs and with that chaotic kind of punchy analogue timbre that VSTs can only struggle to simulate.
The funny thing is that it's oscillators are digital. I guess the magic is in the filter.

the filters are lovely!
i have two in my modular cases :D

vurt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 pm the filters are lovely!
No doubt they're lovely. Judging by demos at least it's a piece of art.

itanever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:36 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 pm the filters are lovely!
No doubt they're lovely. Judging by demos at least it's a piece of art.
the resonance is nothing like any other filter, its just very waspy!
not for bread and butter sounds, but when you want something to stand out, i always route it through a wasp :hihi:

Torchlight wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:57 am I got my OB-6 back from repair this week too so was playing around with it at the same time. Honestly, to me the Wasp sounds better (and it also has a notch filter) than the OB-6 even though the latter costs about 15 times more.
Apples and oranges. The OB-6 and it’s heritage synths are most renowned for their polyphonic sounds. Here in the States, an OB-6 module is 10x the price of Wasp. You’d need to buy 6 Wasps and all the connectors to equal the polyphony of the OB-6, then find space for all those units and you’d still have digital oscillators (not that that’s a bad thing per se, but you have to account for that in the price difference). By that accounting, I’d say the OB-6 is the better bargain, but the real answer is….

…get both (like you did) :tu: :clap: :party:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I LOVE the Wasp Deluxe! I keep a really short cable plugged from OSC1 to EXT input at all times!

I LOVE the Wasp Deluxe! I keep a really short cable plugged from OSC1 to EXT input at all times!

Edit: sorry my post had a double trigger issue though my Wasp doesn't!
Last edited by Nameerf on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cryophonik wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:46 pm
Torchlight wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:57 am I got my OB-6 back from repair this week too so was playing around with it at the same time. Honestly, to me the Wasp sounds better (and it also has a notch filter) than the OB-6 even though the latter costs about 15 times more.
Apples and oranges. The OB-6 and it’s heritage synths are most renowned for their polyphonic sounds. Here in the States, an OB-6 module is 10x the price of Wasp. You’d need to buy 6 Wasps and all the connectors to equal the polyphony of the OB-6, then find space for all those units and you’d still have digital oscillators (not that that’s a bad thing per se, but you have to account for that in the price difference). By that accounting, I’d say the OB-6 is the better bargain, but the real answer is….

…get both (like you did) :tu: :clap: :party:
Digital isn't necessarily cheaper than analogue! I worked on a project replacing an analogue design with a digtal system and the processor and DAC cost considerably more than the components used to build the analogue version. Then there was the cost of software development... :)

Getting one for my birthday Dec 4th. Can't get my hands on it until then and finding it difficult waiting...really, really want it. I'm gonna make me a raucous growly dirty tune made just with the Wasp, MS20 and some ARP 2600...in fact I might even put a few of those through each other just to make it even dirtier. No, not dirty...filthy. :hyper:

I heard the occasional double triggering fault had now been fixed...has it?

kritikon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:10 pm I heard the occasional double triggering fault had now been fixed...has it?
I haven't noticed it.

Awesome. I ordered one during black friday too. It should be here soon. The sound demos on youtube sounded really impressive. I too have an ob-6 and thought the wasp sounded close if not better. Can't wait to check it out. :party:

I went for the pro 1 150 quid couldn't get that second hand and TD3 in red for 66 which is stupid. I did take a hard look at the wasp and the cat. Maybe some other time. I am enjoying the pro1 never had a dial per function synth. Only thing i don't like is the skimping on the Midi cc,s. They would have made good controllers

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”