Reamping with guitar pedals

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

I’m a songwriter and I reamp sometimes not only guitars but some other sounds. I have Marshall JH-1. It has good soft overdrive with no sound destroying but it rolls off the high frequencies. I’ve tried out the Boss DS-1 and DS-2 pedals (distortion ones). And a pink noise test running through them shows that the pedals have high frequencies but their distortion is way too much for applying to any drum sounds, electric pianos and so on. Also, I’ve tested Ibanez Tube Screamer and it has a big high cut even with tone compensation.

And I’d like to ask: do you know any not too expensive guitar overdrive pedals with even spectrum (at least to be able to tweak them similar way) and with high frequencies (with no kind of lowpass filter)?

Pretty sure all guitar overdrives and tube-amp-like distortions will have a treble roll off. A plugin like Klanghelm's SDRR would be my recommendation (or any number of saturation/distortion/tube amp/mic pre plugins). If it HAS to be hardware I would try to find a mic preamp that had a nice distortion - but then you're stuck with one type of distortion...

I have to admit that I haven’t send other sounds than guitar through it, but the Joyo/Harley Benton “American” pedal might be worth a try. At least the distortion ranges from very clean to strong, but not overwhelming, and it has a three band EQ and a very effective tone shaping knob, which also effects the distortion.
As it has some simple “amp simulation” circuit built in, I guess that it might very much influence the hi end with that….

Another idea might be the ART Tube MP Studio or the Behringer copy of it, Mic100 Tube ultragain, although I have to admit that I don’t own those. I have an ART ProChannel though, similar preamp I think, and that can deliver some pretty nasty distortion/clipping if driven.

All you need is the klon (original only)

https://reverb.com/p/klon-centaur-horsi ... yKEALw_wcB

How do you guys handle the impedance and level mismatch situation?

Answer: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-pedals

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”