Jonesing bad for some DDR5 RAM...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who would have thought that DDR5 system RAM would not be available so soon after the release of Intel Alder Lake. I see that Amazon has an offer for 32 GB (2 x 16GB) 6400 MHZ Teamgroup T-Force Delta for $2,220.00. :o Yikes! When will it end?

I already have the MB (Asus Prime Z690-A) and CPU (Intel Core i9-12900K). I want the extra performance of DDR5 ram and will wait it out. Still Jonesing though :x ... I thought that I read somewhere that DDR5 and DDR4 are not interchangeable.

boxerdad wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm I already have the MB (Asus Prime Z690-A) and CPU (Intel Core i9-12900K). I want the extra performance of DDR5 ram and will wait it out. Still Jonesing though :x ... I thought that I read somewhere that DDR5 and DDR4 are not interchangeable.
From the videos I've seen I've learned that you can use DDR4 in Z690 but you can't mix them with DDR5. Gaming benchmarks don't show that DDR5 makes much of a difference yet but it might not be the same case with other types of software.

So... You have the parts but haven't built the machine yet? If you use Ableton Live 11 on this machine I'd love to hear your results, even if you have to install the 90 day trail version. It would help anyone else who's thinking about getting the latest Intel processors

I want to build a 12700K machine and would love to know what people's results are when it comes to audio applications. I especially want to make sure the new two different types of cores on one chip don't cause problems with Ableton Live or any plugins.
I know it's not a huge change like switching to ARM but I want to make sure before getting the parts.
It would be good to know if the people at Ableton themselves have done any testing for unforeseen incompatibilities but there's no good way of contacting them if you're not already a registered user.
If someone was going to buy their software but wanted to contact them first there wouldn't be any way to do so?

dentaku wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 am From the videos I've seen I've learned that you can use DDR4 in Z690 but you can't mix them with DDR5.
Well, you also can't install DDR4 in a DDR5 slot, or vice versa. They're physically incompatible. The motherboard has to be designed from the ground up to support one or the other.
I hate signatures too.

Seems like the Asus Prime Z690-A only takes DDR5, so you'll have to wait until prices drop back to sane levels.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:33 am
dentaku wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 am From the videos I've seen I've learned that you can use DDR4 in Z690 but you can't mix them with DDR5.
Well, you also can't install DDR4 in a DDR5 slot, or vice versa. They're physically incompatible. The motherboard has to be designed from the ground up to support one or the other.
I was just about the go edit my post from yesterday to clarify that and you already did it. :)

I want to get the Asus Prime Z690-P D4 which is the DDR4 version.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”