Waves VST not found in DAW (Live + Maschhine)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally decided to give Waves a try and I cannot get them to show in my DAW. I use Ableton Live 9 and NI Maschine 2. The Waves Central app that comes with the VST does not allow any control over installation path. Now I cannot get them to work in either DAW. The process is not transparent at all and I am not even sure what format Waves are in (VST 2, VST 3 or AU???).

The FAQ and troubleshooting pages on Waves.com are not helping. I tried all that I can think of:
> install with WC
> adding Waves folder to Maschine
> copying the folders with .DLL to my VST folder
> rescanning
> enabling VST 3 in Live

Nothing....anything else I can try?

I googled it for you. Basically you just need to copy waveshell to your VST plugin folder if you dont already have their default folder set up to scan in Ableton.
All Waves plugins are installed to a folder named "Plug-Ins V12" (or V11/V10/V9, whichever version is installed on your device), which is inside the Waves folder, located on your system hard drive. These files should not be moved.

Instead, a WaveShell is placed in your host application's plugins folder. The WaveShell connects your host application to the plugins as a software gateway.

Default locations
During installation, the WaveShell-VST is placed in these default locations:Windows:
64-bit — C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

32-bit — C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPluginsMac: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST

When using a custom VST folder
If you prefer using a custom VST folder, copy the appropriate WaveShell-VST file into your preferred folder:Windows:
32-bit — WaveShell-VST [version number].dll
64-bit — WaveShell-VST [version number]_x64.dllMac: WaveShell-VST [version number].vstThese files can also be found in the WaveShell backup folder:Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\WaveShells V13 (or whichever version is installed on your device)Mac: Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > WaveShells V13 (or whichever version is installed on your device

Thanks for sharing: I already added the Wavesshell file to my custom folder AND added C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins as an additional location for Maschine. Nothing yet....

Firstly why the 32bit & x86 folders, they are not used by Maschine/Ableton Live 10 upwards and can cause problems/duplicates.
Are you using the 64bit waveshells? YOu really should be more selective where you install plugins, try the keep them in one folder i.e as above c:\vst64 is where I install all 64bit plugins I do not install or use 32bit. (VST3 use the system default which is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Waves installs "shells" for all formats, they link the DAW to a common code base which is what makes the different plugins work. You actually shouldn't move them from their default install locations as you can break these dependencies making your problem worse. So you really need to leave them lie and point the DAW to their location.

V13 are 64-bit only and so require a 64-bit system to run, thats another problem some people run into as well as the regular DAW incompatibility.

https://www.waves.com/support/tech-spec ... rted-hosts.

In your case you need Live 9 to be compatible with V13 plugins, so that is most likely the culprit. You can, however, install and older Version of plugins that will be supported. Just be aware that newer plugins aren't available in older versions. For example, the new Retro/Lofi plugins, whatever they're called are V13, they won't be available as V12 or earlier.

Return to “Instruments”