Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Examigan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm The Montage sounds pretty cool. I never played one myself, but I had a DX-21 back in the 80s. :)
Here's the Yamaha Montage TX816 Epiano. Listen to how magnificent it is!
It's 8 layers, each 16 voice 6-op, each detuned, panned, or changed in a different way in the operators. You can browse those patches easily and have heavenly sound.
There's no reason not to have such implementation in Plogue OPS7 - at least as an option. It's a world of amazing sound which was used only in the top productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUbu842ZtQ

You know it may just come down to tastes, if you don't like the range of FM sounds of those synths I don't know that I could change your mind - I think they can sound really cool, personally, especially as a starting point for further sound design. Very unique attack characters possible, interactions that are easy with this style of FM synthesis. Some of the behaviors that result from how the operators work in the algorithms really feels fun to work with for me. Here's a track I did earlier this year that used a DX7 related synth as a major component of the synth sound (RYM2612, emulating the YM2612 4-op/6-channel synth chip, also emulating its hardware choices & flaws that sound cool). I'm not saying it'll make you a believer, but it's not pianos and bells (although it also does a handful of brief bell accents in the track, and also a motor sound effect):
https://soundcloud.com/user-612970086/s ... 7d46ebec16

Anyway - as a fan of the style of synths and user of the aforementioned one already I am very pleased with Plogue's OPS7! Nabbed it, along with their super cool Chipsynth SFC, in the Black Friday sale. It seems like it has what I love about the one I've used in terms of how the FM operators "work" in broad terms, but OPS7 goes deeper, with considerably more sophistication in creating sounds. Which is what I hoped for, and expected based on reading about it :) I can tell I am going to really like this synth, going to use it in a track soon to really dig in. Well done, Plogue!

tristan- wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm
Examigan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm The Montage sounds pretty cool. I never played one myself, but I had a DX-21 back in the 80s. :)
It's 8 layers, each 16 voice 6-op, each detuned, panned, or changed in a different way in the operators. You can browse those patches easily and have heavenly sound.
There's no reason not to have such implementation in Plogue OPS7 - at least as an option. It's a world of amazing sound which was used only in the top productions.

1 Ops7 instance = two dx7 's
Load another 3 instances in your daw , control them all from the same midi channel and you've got your tx816.
Let's not bother the developer with requests that we can easily achieve by ourselves.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:32 pm
tristan- wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm

1 Ops7 instance = two dx7 's
Load another 3 instances in your daw , control them all from the same midi channel and you've got your tx816.
Let's not bother the developer with requests that we can easily achieve by ourselves.
This is what you think. You definitely don't understand the benefits or know the sonic capabilities, what you're suggesting is not easy at all - opening 4 instances within a DAW, on 4 separate channels, how are you able to switch presets? The fact you don't mind about something doesn't mean it entitled you to put yourself above me "do not bother". I suggest, if it doesn't interest you, don't reply to my comments. Anyhow, I'll update with the reply I receive from Plogue about this.

Plogue emulated a dx7-dx5 , not a tx816 clone .
Which part don't you understand ?
And yes it's dead simple , create a preset in one , load them in the other 3 instances and detune .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 pm Plogue emulated a dx7-dx5 , not a tx816 clone .
:lol:
No auto tune...

Artie Fichelle wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:51 pm They put microtuning into their pigments, which was a loser and now is a winner.
and still no ODD-MTS support in pigments...

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 pm Plogue emulated a dx7-dx5 , not a tx816 clone .
And yes it's dead simple , create a preset in one , load them in the other 3 instances and detune .
Your rudeness doesn't belong here - that's a first warning.

:-o
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Artie Fichelle wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:51 pm I have been waiting years for this plugin. Why?
NI started well with FM7 but lost interest after FM8. They did not develop it further, what a shame.
Others were good, but had no microtuning. Such a sad case is Arturia. DX7V could have been a winner with microtuning, but without is a loser. I asked for microtuning 2 years ago. Nothing. They put microtuning into their pigments, which was a loser and now is a winner.
Dexter added it a while ago, but OPS7 hit the nail. I love this plugin.
Microtuning give you zillions of more sound possibilities, but many developers (and musicians) don't get it.
It does now:

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... /update8_2

It was a loser and now it's a winner :party:

Niowiad wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 pm It was a loser and now it's a winner :party:
Heck yeah!

As for anyone looking for a TX816 emu, the closest software I know is an iOS synth called KQ Dixie. Essentially a flavor of Dexed, it can do pretty serious layering and splits with multiple voices. I haven't messed around with that aspect of it, but KQD is my overall favorite synth on iOS.

tristan- wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:03 pm
Your rudeness doesn't belong here - that's a first warning.
Well....howdy doody...

There's a new sheriff in town...

Mmm...

It looks like there's going to be a shootout at high noon...

There's only ever one left standing :wink:
No auto tune...

tristan- wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm Here's the Yamaha Montage TX816 Epiano. Listen to how magnificent it is!
Does it play more than one chord? Not the best demo video of magnificent sound IMO.

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:14 am
Well....howdy doody...

There's a new sheriff in town...

Mmm...

It looks like there's going to be a shootout at high noon...

There's only ever one left standing :wink:
That's right. People should be respectful to others online especially with difference of opinion. Every user can address the forum moderators in such cases and I've seen it happen not once in the past 18 years. Here you can be nice or ambivalent, but not rude.
Last edited by tristan- on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”