What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
fese
KVRAF
1851 posts since 14 Sep, 2004 from $HOME

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:28 am

Since I’ve started to learn bass since this summer, starting out on an acoustic bass (Ibanez PNBE14E, lovely thing for not much money), I decided that I now need a proper electric bass. I have absolutely no knowledge about basses and was somewhat surprised how very different they can sound when testing some models.
I originally thought of a Jazz bass, because that’s what my teacher plays, and I like the sound, but the models I was able to play in a store didn’t really wow me.
What I actually ended up with is this

Not exactly a Jazz bass, i know, and I am still not sure whether it was the right decision. It is very flexible, though, with splittable humbuckers and a five way switch, and after a bit of test recording I have to say that it really works well in a mix. And I got it for €400 less than regular street price, so even if in two years time I decide to sell it I guess I won’t lose much money.

Anyway, I’ve slowly coming to terms with the fact that, similar to guitars, one bass isn’t enough and you always need one more than you already have :lol:

Bombadil
KVRAF
7357 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Down the Withywindle

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 pm

I have a Sire Marcus Miller jazz, very nice bass for the money, in natural ash.
And a Höfner Ignition Beatle bass. I usually play this one, light as a feather, and short scale.
Still waiting word on my Stanford Marquee.
“Always after a defeat and a respite," says Gandalf, "the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."
J.R.R. Tolkien

CoolGuitarGear
KVRist
62 posts since 15 Nov, 2020

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:54 am

I do a lot of DI recording; been using my Victory V4 preamps lately (with cab sim). Very interested in the Orange Bax Bangeetar (preamp based on the Rockerverb, I believe). I like the tone of that thing. It's on my list.

Aleatoriac
KVRAF
1724 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from betwixt

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:26 am

Axe FX III (since 2019)
2014 Suhr Modern Satin with HH configuration, pick ups practically kissing the strings - mmm sooo much delicious touch sensitive clear sound, need barely any gain on the amp so nice only complaint with this guitar is it came with scratchy pots and NOTHING i've been able to do has fixed it.

Other guitar 1994 Parker Fly magnificent guitar, beat up though, was in a car accident with me, fell down a flight of stairs with it on my back once too, damn strong guitar, lovely frets - beautiful

Will probably add a 304 guitar: https://304guitars.com/

Also want a multiscale, at least 28" on the low end, but want it with an Evertune bridge. So Ormsby might be the only thing for that in the near future.

Anybody here ever played a Moog guitar? Those are hard to find for some reason. Want to try one.

pekbro
KVRAF
4464 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:54 am

That 304 guitar is pretty sick, too rich for my blood though. I have definitely been intrigued by some of the metal constructed guitars lately. Damnit, my guitar collection is going to start growing again I know it. :lol:

Mikelo
KVRAF
1734 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:00 am

Another Christmas and another Ibanez. The RG421HPFM is on my shopping list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beltrom
KVRian
944 posts since 2 Aug, 2004 from Sweden

Post Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:38 am

Got my first Gibson today, a Les Paul Studio (built june 21).
* 490R and 498T humbuckers
* Push / pull for coil tap
* Weight-reduced body

Really liked both the feel and look of it so couldn't resist. Stumbled over it at my local dealer shopping for a kazoo as a joke christmas gift. It ended up being a pretty expensive kazoo...
:?

Pretty much this one:
https://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_les_paul_studio_sb.htm

anttimaatteri
KVRian
610 posts since 17 Nov, 2015 from Yuma

Post Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:37 am

the next thing ith string i will try to get will be an
https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/m ... review.jpg
ibanez srh505f

Bombadil
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:48 am
Just ordered one of these. Stanford CR Marquee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrtxK6tasYM&t=305s
This is back on. We shall finally see what we shall see.
“Always after a defeat and a respite," says Gandalf, "the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."
J.R.R. Tolkien

PlutoToZiom
KVRer
14 posts since 15 Jun, 2021

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:31 am

I was thinking of getting one of those kit guitars to assemble. Something like a Telecaster type model, but I have no idea which brands are better.
I have a budget of about 450€.
Advice and any info about this kind of guitars would be appreciated.

Bombadil
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:26 am

My Stanford CR-Marquee is in da house! :wheee: :hyper: :band2:
J.R.R. Tolkien

Hink
Rad Grandad
35750 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:03 am

:)
Words are a barrier to help-seeking and a motivator for making discrimination acceptable.
Mad Pride
If there is a direction to mankind, it ought to be a coming together Brian May

Bombadil
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:51 am

I dunno how much she sounds like an LP. She only weighs about 5.2 lbs. Obviously, serious weight-relief, mahogany body, maple top, Katalox fretboard (similar to Ebony, from what I've read). The neck is slightly beefier than the semi, but nothing compared to the baseball bat of my old SG Junior.
IMG_0091.jpeg
And these are my Stanfords I've bought this year. The semi acoustic I bought in April impressed me so much, I just bought the LP copy.
Both came with the best out of the box set-up I've ever seen. The action was perfectly suitable for me, but I lowered it, and not conservatively, either. No buzz. No cut out notes. Just needs a slight intonation adjustment on the D.
IMG_0094.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J.R.R. Tolkien

vurt
addled muppet weed
88661 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 am

nice 8)

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
31570 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:25 am

I bought 4 sets of strings. Just gotta get around to putting them on my guitars. ;)

Return to “Guitars”