Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
tristan-
KVRian
581 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:39 pm
tristan- wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 am
Here's the Yamaha Montage TX816 Epiano. Listen to how magnificent it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUbu842ZtQ
Does it play more than one chord? Not the best demo video of magnificent sound IMO.
Sure. Here's on 2:30, Ujie who made the sounds for Yamaha showing a remarkable demo. One could only wish to play like him...
https://youtu.be/KYD-5QOHgog

User avatar
waltercruz
KVRAF
2140 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:15 pm

v1.006 December 7th 2021
Fixed: Deleting sysex entries only erased its name
Fixed: SYSEX browser highlight not showing in certain zoom settings

dayjob
KVRAF
1891 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Examigan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 am
The Montage sounds pretty cool. I never played one myself, but I had a DX-21 back in the 80s. :)
we had a montage at work for like 2 years. i hated every minute of it. it was annoying to program and my neck/shoulders would hurt if spent any time with it. i hated that "everything and the kitchen sink" workstation interface of it. it's capable of a lot of great things but jfc i wouldn't want to sit and program it to make it do any of those things. it's a preset/jamming synth for KB players imo..

it has massive FM abilities though is tedious in my experience. i was glad when we got rid of it.

i used to talk to the yamaha rep who was super nice and knew the montage inside/out and would walk me through things now and then but even then i was like "you have to do all that to get to here?"

i told him if he could pass it up the chain that it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM instead of all this other stuff.

his reply was "We hear that from EVERYONE. literally everyone says that to us.... but it's a big company and trying to get that message heard is difficult.. especially coming from a rep"

the montage is probably great for performing KB players in bands who need thousands of presets and performance tools.

idk why we're discussing it here in the thread about the OPS7 though.. i mean.. apples and oranges imo. OPS7 is awesome and I love it and using it is a pleasure and the sound does not disappoint. :tu:

mholloway
KVRAF
1886 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Wanted to check this out, but the demo times out after four minutes ?!?

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely freaking absurd.
https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp.com/ - Noir-themed Dark Jazz
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

User avatar
e@rs
KVRAF
5241 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 am

Indeed, the second weirdest demo limitation ever (that one with 'demo version uses increased CPU usage' takes the first spot for me). It's like they want to annoy you, not make you reach for the wallet.

(I read their reasons for it, but still think that in the end it's more like self-sabotaging.)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10670 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
his reply was "We hear that from EVERYONE. literally everyone says that to us.... but it's a big company and trying to get that message heard is difficult.. especially coming from a rep"
Yet, all the later FM only synths they launched were flaws :dog: I guess that "EVERYONE" is simply a noisy minority. Fact is the Montage is a great synth, that goes way beyond FM, and even FM is way more powerful than anything you can achieve with OPS7.

If you want a powerful FM only Yamaha synth, look for an FS1R (a great FM synth that was ALSO a flaw - I wonder where EVERYONE was back then :roll: ).

And if there are SO MANY looking for what you say, I wonder why THIS wasn't a commercial success (BTW: It looks a lot like OPS7 :hihi:)
Fernando (FMR)

perpetual3
KVRAF
1868 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:57 am

fmr wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 am
dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
his reply was "We hear that from EVERYONE. literally everyone says that to us.... but it's a big company and trying to get that message heard is difficult.. especially coming from a rep"
Yet, all the later FM only synths they launched were flaws :dog: I guess that "EVERYONE" is simply a noisy minority. Fact is the Montage is a great synth, that goes way beyond FM, and even FM is way more powerful than anything you can achieve with OPS7.

If you want a powerful FM only Yamaha synth, look for an FS1R (a great FM synth that was ALSO a flaw - I wonder where EVERYONE was back then :roll: ).

And if there are SO MANY looking for what you say, I wonder why THIS wasn't a commercial success (BTW: It looks a lot like OPS7 :hihi:)
Maybe because that DX7 controller was €1250 and looks nothing like the OPS7.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10670 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 am

perpetual3 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:57 am
fmr wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 am
And if there are SO MANY looking for what you say, I wonder why THIS wasn't a commercial success (BTW: It looks a lot like OPS7 :hihi:)
Maybe because that DX7 controller was €1250 and looks nothing like the OPS7.
It looks simplistic, with just a bunch of knobs, VERY MUCH like OPS7 :hihi:

Regarding the price, the post I quoted said:
it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM
How much would you think something like that would cost? How much costs a nordlead rack? On eBay I can see them around 500/600 euros. And an FM synth would need A LOT MORE knobs and sliders. I doubt anyone would build one for less than 1.200 euros.
Fernando (FMR)

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:19 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
i told him if he could pass it up the chain that it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM instead of all this other stuff.
If you want an awesome FM synth that is easier to program than any other FM synth or plugin available and also sounds better and is far more versatile, get a Nord 3 or a Nord Rack 3. Not only does the Nord 3 have the best interface of any hardware (or software for that matter) synth ever developed, it's got a really nice VA engine as well. It's simple but great sounding 4-operator FM synth engine is fantastic. You don't need to know anything about FM synthesis to get great FM sounds out of it.

The Nord 3 was originally sold as a Virtual Analog synth with some FM capabilities. But it's actually an amazing FM synth with a knob per function interface that makes programming the synth as easy as any classic analog synth. But make no mistake, the Nord 3 FM synthesis is where it's at. It's not about stupid FM brass and oboes (that software samplers do so much more realistically and expressively,) but fantastic modern FM textures.

The Montage is a workstation joke by comparison.
Last edited by Gadget Fiend on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:22 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
i told him if he could pass it up the chain that it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM instead of all this other stuff.
If you want an awesome FM synth that is easier to program than any other FM synth or plugin available and also sounds better and is far more versatile, get a Nord 3 or a Nord Rack 3. Not only does the Nord 3 have the best interface of any hardware (or software for that matter) synth ever developed, it's got a great VA engine as well. It's simple but super hi-fi 4-operator FM synth engine is fantastic. You don't need to know anything about FM synthesis to get great FM sounds out of it.

The Nord 3 was originally sold as a Virtual Analog synth with some FM capabilities. But it's actually an amazing FM synth with a knob per function interface that makes programming the synth as easy as any classic analog synth. But make no mistake, the Nord 3 FM synthesis is where it's at. It's not about stupid FM brass and oboes (that software samplers do so much more realistically and expressively,) but fantastic modern FM textures.

The Montage is a workstation joke by comparison.
Last edited by Gadget Fiend on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:25 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
i told him if he could pass it up the chain that it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM instead of all this other stuff.
If you want an awesome FM synth that is easier to program than any other FM synth or plugin available and also sounds better and is far more versatile, get a Nord 3 or a Nord Rack 3. Not only does the Nord 3 have the best interface of any hardware (or software for that matter) synth ever developed, it's got a great VA engine as well. It's simple but super hi-fi 4-operator FM synth engine is fantastic. You don't need to know anything about FM synthesis to get great FM sounds out of it.

The Nord 3 was originally sold as a Virtual Analog synth with some FM capabilities. But it's actually an amazing FM synth with a knob per function interface that makes programming the synth as easy as any classic analog synth. But make no mistake, the Nord 3 FM synthesis is where it's at. It's not about stupid FM brass and oboes (that software samplers do so much more realistically and expressively,) but fantastic modern FM textures.

The Montage is a workstation joke by comparison.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 am

Sorry for the multiple posts. How do you delete something that was posted in error?
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 am

fmr wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 am
How much would you think something like that would cost? How much costs a nordlead rack? On eBay I can see them around 500/600 euros. And an FM synth would need A LOT MORE knobs and sliders. I doubt anyone would build one for less than 1.200 euros.
The Nord Lead 3 doesn't require any more knobs than a classic VA synth with a few more oscillator options for the FM synthesis engine. It's FM patches sound SO much better and cleaner than FM8 or the Montage series. However, thankfully the Nord 3 isn't trying to replicate acoustic sounds in some cheezy FM fashion (although the Nord 3's FM Rhodes are as good as they get and better yet don't sound like some lame Yamaha synth from the 80's).
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
4769 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 am

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:22 am
dayjob wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm
i told him if he could pass it up the chain that it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM instead of all this other stuff.
If you want an awesome FM synth that is easier to program than any other FM synth or plugin available and also sounds better and is far more versatile, get a Nord 3 or a Nord Rack 3. Not only does the Nord 3 have the best interface of any hardware (or software for that matter) synth ever developed, it's got a great VA engine as well. It's simple but super hi-fi 4-operator FM synth engine is fantastic. You don't need to know anything about FM synthesis to get great FM sounds out of it.

The Nord 3 was originally sold as a Virtual Analog synth with some FM capabilities. But it's actually an amazing FM synth with a knob per function interface that makes programming the synth as easy as any classic analog synth. But make no mistake, the Nord 3 FM synthesis is where it's at. It's not about stupid FM brass and oboes (that software samplers do so much more realistically and expressively,) but fantastic modern FM textures.

The Montage is a workstation joke by comparison.
How many feedback operators on the NORD 3 :lol:
How many envelopes per operator on the NORD 3 ?
You really are a NORD 3 fanboy , and while it can do some great FM sounds it lacks in several departments
It's easily trumped by the nord modular and the montage , so please S.U. :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

perpetual3
KVRAF
1868 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:54 am

fmr wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 am
perpetual3 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:57 am
fmr wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 am
And if there are SO MANY looking for what you say, I wonder why THIS wasn't a commercial success (BTW: It looks a lot like OPS7 :hihi:)
Maybe because that DX7 controller was €1250 and looks nothing like the OPS7.
It looks simplistic, with just a bunch of knobs, VERY MUCH like OPS7 :hihi:

Regarding the price, the post I quoted said:
it'd be great if they made an FM synth that looked like a nordlead rack.. a bunch of knobs! and focused on FM
How much would you think something like that would cost? How much costs a nordlead rack? On eBay I can see them around 500/600 euros. And an FM synth would need A LOT MORE knobs and sliders. I doubt anyone would build one for less than 1.200 euros.
What you posted is merely a controller. It’s not a synth.

Return to “Instruments”