[rock] Hey Caroline

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like it overall, but is there some ducking? I'm getting some slightly weird L/R phasing effects.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

StudioDave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:34 am Good work all around, but yes, I'd bring out those vocals a wee bit more in some of the verses (the first, for sure). I like the mix, feels right for the song style.
Thanks StudioDave! Very appreciated. :)

Yes, we will discuss the vocal volume again,
maybe increase it by 0.1 dB ...
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

guitarmiester wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 pm I don't mind the mix being a little cluttered since the song still shines through. As a guitarist, guitars can never be too loud or so we like to think...
Haha, yes exactly!

You can do what you want: the guitarist no longer hears himself at all
if the guitar is even a tad quieter. "More power" has to be added
immediately. :help:

Thank you! :)

folderol wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:27 pm I like it overall, but is there some ducking? I'm getting some slightly weird L/R phasing effects.
Thank you folderol. And no, there is no ducking, but there is
sophisticated compression. It might seem like "ducking" at
times. Phase effects? Mmhh ... where and through which
speakers?

In any case, thanks for listening!

enroe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:29 am
folderol wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:27 pm I like it overall, but is there some ducking? I'm getting some slightly weird L/R phasing effects.
Thank you folderol. And no, there is no ducking, but there is
sophisticated compression. It might seem like "ducking" at
times. Phase effects? Mmhh ... where and through which
speakers?

In any case, thanks for listening!
I was using a pair of nondescript bookcase speakers... from the early 1970s :scared:
Checking in headphones reveals what's happening. It's the interaction between the guitars panned hard left and right. On the speakers, which are very close and on the (supposed) perfect equilateral triangle, this behaves quite differently. If I move back, the effect disappears.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

enroe,
Thank you for the review! Now your song (the title reminds me of "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond; which is entirely different of course). Your vocals remind me of the singers from Oasis and Green Day (good) on this; though the pitch tweaking seems fairly obvious at times, but I agree it's better to be in tune. I like the organ. Nice guitars and melodies all around. Very good song! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

folderol wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 pm I was using a pair of nondescript bookcase speakers... from the early 1970s :scared:
Checking in headphones reveals what's happening. It's the interaction between the guitars panned hard left and right. On the speakers, which are very close and on the (supposed) perfect equilateral triangle, this behaves quite differently. If I move back, the effect disappears.
Hi, very interesting. Old speakers from the 70s can also sound
good. Back then, "Hifi" was an important attribute. :wink:

We will examine the phase effects again in more detail. The
guitar sound, which is absolutely wide in the panorama in
front of you, is the goal - even if it is often difficult to achieve.
Thank you for your hint! :)

A listen in mono might highlight any issues.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

aaron aardvark wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:48 am enroe,
Thank you for the review! Now your song (the title reminds me of "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond; which is entirely different of course). Your vocals remind me of the singers from Oasis and Green Day (good) on this; though the pitch tweaking seems fairly obvious at times, but I agree it's better to be in tune. I like the organ. Nice guitars and melodies all around. Very good song! :)
Thank you for your words. The association with Oasis or Green Day is of course
very flattering. Thanks! :)

Ok, I like the song, I like your vocal/ voice. I think the quality of your recording/tracks sound really good.
Here is the odd part, I thought the mix was (well all the things that have been commented on) on my initial listening.
After a couple more listens it seemed fine.

Until I looked at the lyric's I thought the first line was: She parked the company car right beside the church.
So thanks for posting the .pdf.

My comment on the subject: The transition from a world where all things are possible to a reality of what is practical, for an old guy like me is pretty depressing stuff!

MRT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 am After a couple more listens it seemed fine.
Thank you MRT. You didn't just listen to the song, you really dealt
with it. I appreciate that! :D
MRT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 am Here is the odd part, I thought the mix was (well all the things that have been commented on) on my initial listening.
Yes - that is the constant topic here with us without a real solution:
How can we combine a hard distorted guitar with piercing vocals?
Either the guitar has too little assertiveness or the vocals no longer
pierce. Difficult ... but we stay tuned. There are some suggestions
here too.
MRT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 am Until I looked at the lyric's I thought the first line was: She parked the company car right beside the church. So thanks for posting the .pdf.
Yeah! Similar to "She placed the coffee cup right beside
the chart" With heavily compressed and processed vocals
(Deesser^5), text intelligibility often falls by the wayside. :neutral:
MRT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 am My comment on the subject: The transition from a world where all things are possible to a reality of what is practical, for an old guy like me is pretty depressing stuff!
Yes, that is exactly the topic. I think this affects everyone! Because
many dreams that drive you in your youth and fill you with life, often
turn out to be unrealizable and have to give way to so-called "life
practice". It's a shame - and one can only hope that everyone has
found a good compromise, a good life, for themselves.

Thank you, MRT! :wink:

This is a strong song which holds up well to repeated listens. The melody and chords fit together in a pleasing way.

Reviewing the lyrics, there are some word choices that are a little awkward. I would suggest "radiance" instead of "radius," "glimmer" instead of "glitter," "flown by" instead of "flown over." These are minor details but you could consider reviewing the lyrics with a native speaker of English before committing them to tape.

As previously discussed in this thread, the distorted guitar is overpowering the vocals. The song would benefit from a new mix where a lot more room is made for the vocals. The autotune effect on the vocals is also pretty extreme and would be better if used more sparingly.

Nice job overall! :tu:

Frantz wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:58 am This is a strong song which holds up well to repeated listens ...
Thank you Frantz for your kind and also critical words!
Very good that you mention everything you notice here,
I'll work on it. And it's interesting to hear which "weirdnesses"
stand out lyrically. I absolutely need a final editor!

Instead of making a new mix, I'm now in the process
of checking whether the distorted guitars in the chorus
could be replaced with clean guitars. :wink:

And of course - here we have a visualization of "Caroline":

caroline_cartoon_w02.gif

After 20 years, Caroline has given up and subordinated herself
to the pressures of everyday life. That's exactly the tragedy
in this song. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

great example of a good pop rock composition. breakdowns were on point and the vocal seemed right for the track. I'm no mix guy, it sounded fine to me. good stuff

Return to “Music Cafe”