Reason 12 update out (12.2.2)

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
festeringheap
KVRian
507 posts since 7 Mar, 2011

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 am

machine_spirit wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:20 am
festeringheap wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 am
How are you two coming to the conclusion that Reason is dying?
As far as RS is concerned, Reason means the RRP, that's clear at this point. I was talking about the DAW specifically. An endless stream of bullshit from RS combined with essentially zero attention given to the DAW since i bought it in 2019 (and absolutely nothing indicating that this is going to change) means i'm not particularly optimistic about the future of the DAW. We were told that the DAW would not be forgotten several times and instead we got little to nothing and a sad aggressive subscription system etc. It's certainly possible that this will change but to expect it would be madness.
I get your point, but I'm not exactly sure how that translates to Reason is dying.

Reason has always had a miserly thimbleful of DAW improvements for each version, not just since 2019. I think v10 didn't even have any at launch. Personally, for me, it's why I only buy in every several versions; it's just not good value to buy in every upgrade.

Here's hoping they honour their early 2021 blog where they said that workflow enhancements would come in v12. Reading that the second Roadmap didn't even touch on workflow was a real shock though.

festeringheap
KVRian
507 posts since 7 Mar, 2011

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 am

antic604 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 am
festeringheap wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:49 am
Well, you said "continuously shrinking portion of the user base", so I was wondering how you came to that conclusion.

Nothing in your current post touched on proof that this was happening.

You just said v12 cycle added nothing to DAW. I said the same thing about workflow enhancements. But I can't say from that that there's a continuous shrinking portion of the user base because of that.
Again, when I say "shrinking user base" Imeant Reason DAW. Lots of "old" Reason users left the DAW and moved to Live, Studio One, Bitwig, Reaper or Cubase. New (not all, but most) people who are buying it rarely use the DAW - they get it for the plugin.

Simple math would tell you that adding those 2 results in shrinking user base of those who want to use Reason DAW.
Again, you've posted no proof of a continuously shrinking user base.
Simple math tells you that adding 2 results will result in a correct answer. But if one or both variables are wrong, then the answer is as well.

1-New (not all, but most) people who are buying it rarely use the DAW - they get it for the plugin.

Oh, that's interesting. Any proof of that?

2-Lots of "old" Reason users left the DAW and moved to Live, Studio One, Bitwig, Reaper or Cubase.

Really? Lots of them left? How many is lots? When did they leave? Do they only use one DAW? Why are they continuously leaving? Still seeing no proof.

sQeetz
KVRian
705 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:03 am

festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:57 am
(I did open up a recent Reason Studios email though and found the title somewhat dishonest:
What if we told you you’d get ALL our 75+ rack devices for just $99.99
Yes, that's the one that rubbed me wrong. What if I told you to STFU? :o :hihi:
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

machine_spirit
KVRist
96 posts since 10 Aug, 2021

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:58 am

festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 am
I get your point, but I'm not exactly sure how that translates to Reason is dying.
RS and the RRP might be doing fine. The DAW however... Going by the designs they've used for their website since they released the plugin, it's like they wished the DAW didn't exist at all. It seems to be slightly better now (and the expensive perpetual license isn't really hidden anymore...) but it's clearly a secondary thing, and this kind of erratic strategy doesn't exactly inspire confidence. That's not great when the DAW is already widely considered outdated (which no doubt in part is why they ignore it, too much work to get it to a point where it would be competetive). Not that i personally find the sequencer terrible or anything.
festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:57 am
So if Reason Studios if pushing subs, I'm not really noticing.
It's not really the aggressive marketing that is the problem, it's the way they've taken a dump on perpetual licenses. Pretty much everything they've done since the subscription was made available have said "Subscribe to Reason+ or GTFO" in one way or another. Moved to ableton Live and i'm having a great time (as great as one can have after recently switching DAW). :hihi:

imrae
KVRAF
1966 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am

sQeetz wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:03 am
festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:57 am
(I did open up a recent Reason Studios email though and found the title somewhat dishonest:
What if we told you you’d get ALL our 75+ rack devices for just $99.99
Yes, that's the one that rubbed me wrong. What if I told you to STFU? :o :hihi:
The reply I sent was:
Well, then you'd be lying by omission because I'd only have them for a year.

bangaio
KVRist
75 posts since 9 Dec, 2014

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:14 pm

I’m surprised people are still surprised with this. Looking at the insta feed for RS they seem to be sharing anything they’re tagged in from producers who they hung free license to and they also seem to be building a studio and employing people to run it.

I would suggest that they invest the social media and studio budget into some developers.

Tbe highlight has to be a short video they posted of a producer in their studio finishing a track. It’s in Ableton live. They have the rrp effect with alligator on a track. The producer has tagged digitakt yet they’re posting this like it’s the best demo of reason ever.

They have a weak product in a saturated market with companies that do their game better with better products. It is genuinely a shame.
- Logic Pro -

sQeetz
KVRian
705 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:18 pm

imrae wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am
sQeetz wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:03 am
festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:57 am
(I did open up a recent Reason Studios email though and found the title somewhat dishonest:
What if we told you you’d get ALL our 75+ rack devices for just $99.99
Yes, that's the one that rubbed me wrong. What if I told you to STFU? :o :hihi:
The reply I sent was:
Well, then you'd be lying by omission because I'd only have them for a year.
The reply I sent was to unsubscribe to all their Newsletters. What a bunch of scumbags
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

mholloway
KVRAF
1895 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:25 pm

bangaio wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:14 pm
The producer has tagged digitakt yet they’re posting this like it’s the best demo of reason ever.
Really? Did they say "here's the best demo of reason ever" or any such thing? Or did they just post something that included the Reason Rack in it (a thing a company will do on twitter and instagram-- shocking, right?) and then you personally decided to apply the concept that "they're posting this like it's the best demo of reason ever." Ah, right, yup: that part is all you. The rest is just business + marketing as per usual for any business on this planet.
https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp.com/ - Noir-themed Dark Jazz
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

User avatar
jacqueslacouth
KVRian
1154 posts since 18 Nov, 2004 from The Liberated People's Republic of Straya

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Not a big fan of subscriptions here and the obvious focus on signing more users to their subscription model made it a relatively easy decision to dump Reason (read DELETED) from my system and stop worrying about future updates. TBH, it hasn't been getting much use here in recent years and like quite a few other basically redundant (to me) tools, I have taken the simple view that they have done what I needed, I may or may not have gotten value from the purchases, but like books that I have read and have no intention of reading again, they get dumped rather than sitting on the bookshelf (or in this case, the HD) like some kind of dust gathering trophy.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11286 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 am

festeringheap wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 am
Oh, that's interesting. Any proof of that?
Obviously I've no access to actual data, so it's all based on observation - I very rarely see here, on Reddit, on Facebook, etc. new Reason users that even mention the DAW. Likewise, on those places a lot of people who have been using Reason for years now switched to other DAW and moved on.
FOR SALE: Live 11 Suite $375



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
future-bit
Banned
505 posts since 23 Jan, 2008

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 am

Did RS turn off the activation of perpetual licenses? I have seen 403 error for several days.

noreg.png

There is no response from support as usual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11286 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:17 am

future-bit wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 am
Did RS turn off the activation of perpetual licenses?
Works just fine here:

Zrzut ekranu (250).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FOR SALE: Live 11 Suite $375



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
WasteLand
KVRAF
2230 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:22 am

indeed those emails about R+ (while i have got R11 Suite + R12 perpetual... so... well... something), and a very bumpy road.

well something positive: rewards do not expire anymore.... so i have some back, that expired this month, they also made an 'adjustment', added points, to reflect the lost Rewards at that moment, some months back, those points have come back, all the points you have earned (and not spent...) are back + 'adjustment' points... well, i have now many Reward points.

things that are coming, but perhaps unsure, or take only time, no vouchers anymore ánd R+ can count as... Rewards...

see ReasonTalk....

it is the only positive thing, i must say, and gives me the chance to buy for instance algoritm dirt cheap, well the Rewards don't expire, maybe they throw the bundle again, and in the Reward shop, or even if they go on sale and will be on the Reward shop (was an idea, of the James, that now is 'control', or handles the Reward shop, among other things i think).

i will wait. makes a nice compensation, for buying R12.. (Friktion is also attractive of course, but the lack of MPE, and owning Kaivo, MSoundFactory, Plasmonic, and soft modulars that can do, with some nice tricks, that give you deep control; resonators... and a pluck is easily made, noise burst for example..)
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

User avatar
future-bit
Banned
505 posts since 23 Jan, 2008

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:24 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:17 am
future-bit wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 am
Did RS turn off the activation of perpetual licenses?
Works just fine here:


Zrzut ekranu (250).png
You haven't activated, you just opened the page.
Now enter any number and press:

noreg.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fceramic
KVRian
1389 posts since 1 Jun, 2008

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 am

Reason's support has actually been super responsive the last few times. That company is a mess these days, so they're probably just swamped in support tickets from confused and frustrated customers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”