Why can't I install all the IK sample tank content in one place?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
9467 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm

This is very frustrating. I'm using IK Product Manager and pointed each product to an IK Multimedia folder I made on a secondary SSD. For most things it worked, however it put sample tank 3 content in my Public Documents in an IK Multimedia folder. They are part of the same damn install. The Sample Tank 4 specific content seemed to work and go to the other drive. All the extra sample tank expansions went to the other SSD except SampleTron content also decided to go to Public Documents. I tried twice.

Also the Sample Tank 3 and 4 sub folders are in a different structure so it's not obvious how to merge them. Sample 4 stuff put a Sample Tank 4 folder within a bunch of different types of content folders like samples and presets etc., which were all in the folder I specified. But The Sampletank 3 stuff is in a Sample Tank 3 folder first and then all broke down by different files like instruments and, multis etc. So the structure is backwards between the two. I'd have to rename a bunch of folders to merge them logically.

I just want all IK sample content in the same place, why is this so damn hard? Is there a better way to do this? Should I leave it the way the Sample Tank 4 content structured it, if that what other sampletank products will want if I reinstall?

bungle
KVRAF
1781 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Symlink them.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

Examigan
KVRAF
6345 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:29 pm

I can't remember how I originally installed ST3 and Sampletron 2, but all my samples for Total Studio Max 2 (and any others) are on a secondary drive. I know this doesn't completely solve the issue, but you could manually move the samples to where you want, then go into the settings of ST to point it to their new location.

starflakeprj
KVRAF
2174 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm

I actually installed everything in the same folder a few days ago, with very few problems. Even the ST3 stuff.

It did create some folders in users->public, but I moved them to the ST4 folder I created for the samples, removed the links from the settings in ST4 and also from the Windows Registry.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

soulata
KVRAF
2714 posts since 6 Dec, 2002 from Ljubljana/ Slovenia

Post Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:36 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm
This is very frustrating. I'm using IK Product Manager and pointed each product to an IK Multimedia folder I made on a secondary SSD. For most things it worked, however it put sample tank 3 content in my Public Documents in an IK Multimedia folder. They are part of the same damn install. The Sample Tank 4 specific content seemed to work and go to the other drive. All the extra sample tank expansions went to the other SSD except SampleTron content also decided to go to Public Documents. I tried twice.

Also the Sample Tank 3 and 4 sub folders are in a different structure so it's not obvious how to merge them. Sample 4 stuff put a Sample Tank 4 folder within a bunch of different types of content folders like samples and presets etc., which were all in the folder I specified. But The Sampletank 3 stuff is in a Sample Tank 3 folder first and then all broke down by different files like instruments and, multis etc. So the structure is backwards between the two. I'd have to rename a bunch of folders to merge them logically.

I just want all IK sample content in the same place, why is this so damn hard? Is there a better way to do this? Should I leave it the way the Sample Tank 4 content structured it, if that what other sampletank products will want if I reinstall?
Yup.

I've recently bought TS 3.5.

Installing ST sound content is far from ideal. Old (st3) expansions don't give a flying f about install to command in ik's product manager. They just get installed in their default location.

Took me some time to notice it and ik's support wasn't helpful at all.

I've no time to go through them all but honestly, I've deleted one third of them after little testing.

Have I paid for them intentionally I'd be pissed.

Wurly, Rhodes, a few pianos, alternate keys...all of them are awful. Electronica expansions are a joke, Hitmaker too.

Compared to other drum libs there's not much to like in la sounds or london grooves or any of their drum expansions.

Luckily I upgraded to TS 3.5 for SampleTron 2, Fame reverb, Amplitube 5 and Hammond which are all good so I don't feel too bad about Sample Tank 4 content.

Syntronik 2 I have't tried yet. I somehow doubt it'll win me over but it might.

k

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9467 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:05 pm

Turns out it wasn't a big deal as you can just move things afterwards and change the paths, and it doesn't look like they content updates, so that's fine. But yeah it's not like these libraries are that great anyways might uninstall a bunch.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”