10 Tips from an ADHD producer on how to finish songs faster

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

he made a post what worked for him

I started this and got a phone call...this passing bye guy just posted a report that I deleted his post...kindly click back one page and see where it is logged that he made an edit

Sir what kind of person are you? note you're not banned but the forum needs to know how absolutely dishonest you are...how dare you...I cant stand liars.

so you know, every single thing we do is logged, logged at the entire forum level, each forum and even every thread has it's own log. Did you not think of that when you lied?

I want to see what you are made of, you owe me an apology, lets see if you have what it takes...such a cowardly act...honestly...to make such an accusation.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Sorry if people feel hurt by my words, I don't have mental capacity to deal with this right now, have a flue, my wife have constant panic attacks, have other issues that I don't want to talk about, come here to get away from all of it, not get into tireless discussions! So sorry, erase everything and forget I ever was here, ban me or whatever, I'm sorry, but KVR is my happy place and I right now I don't have capacity to treat it like another problem in my life, I'm full of them.

Sorry Hink and everyone that I hurt with my words, hope you can forgive me, I'm lousy human being these days, there's no excuse for that, sorry again!

best wishes, please come back soon :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Interesting thread!

There is one important thing to keep in mind:
When it comes to serious music production, on the one hand
learning an instrument, music theory, composing and a DAW
is important.

But ...

... at least as important is your own focus and self-organization!
This means that I ask myself every day how much time I waste
with DAWs and plugins, and how much time I spend composing
and finishing a song. How do I find the right balance between
plugin search, studio preparation and real work on a specific
song? The art of self-organization is very important if you don't
want to get lost in trivialities and unimportant things.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I just live in perpetual ADHD chaos. Occasionaly some music emerges from it.

Ohh, it's the discipline. I decided to not do any new things this week:

- No new projects (or video episodes)
- No new activities
- Not trying or learning new things
- No random articles / videos
- No new books
- Not buying new shiz
- No googling or browsing for new ideas

Ommmm...

I've got well enough stuff "in progress" to keep me busy.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Funny enough, just 5 minutes later I learned I might actually have ADHD :hihi:
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Oh yes, I've been fighthing with it for my whole life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is one of the reasons I require software to load fast, and have all the gear out within a reach. I need to access them immediately any time I want to make music, before I lose focus.

dasen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 am2. Instead of starting new songs when you get bored of working on your current songs, make a folder with 3 songs to work on. When you get bored of song 1, you switch to song 2, when you get bored of song 2, switch to song 3. When you get bored of song 3, switch back to song 1 again.
I really liked this idea, thanks for sharing.

For a moment I almost thought I had written these tips. It basically describes my entire (pseudo)workflow. :-o

Some of these tips are amazingly on point, specially 1, 2, 3 and 7. Also, someone sugested taking notes of ideas, workflow and stuff. Extremely useful when you come back to that amazing 5 YO loop in your unfinished songs folder.

Something I've learned is: if your great 8-bar loop doesn't arrange itself, then it's not that great. When you have a good set of elements, it's basically done, and creating an entire song from it is extremely easy.

That's my basic problem: my loops are too poor of ideas to become a entire song. But when they are good, I can finish a song in some 3 to 7 days.

Very interesting and cool read, i'm really glad you found a working way to make music with your condition.

I kinda do, but being bipolar its a bit like being on a Waltzer trying to eat a hotdog covered in sauce. Once minute its calm enough to try to bit, next minute you're wearing the sauce and the hotdog is gone.

OK weird analogy but that made sense to me.

I would really love to do something similar for those with bipolar but I simply cannot, it's so hard to stick to one thing, and keep focussed on music , but then there are times I can't stop myself.

Anyway, I digress, just glad to see people conquering their own issues and getting sh!t done. Congrats
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Got the pills! They work :hyper:

...didn't make any music yet, but I've finished pretty much everything else I had to do.

dasen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 am Hey,

Male 36 here, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, the inattentive type (ADD). Not only did my ADHD diagnosis gave me a whole new perspective on why I have always struggled in many areas of my life.

Work with the limits of your ADHD mind and optimize your production flow according to it. The key is to limit yourself with fewer distractions.

Hope this helps.
Hey,
this are great tips, which seem to be very approachable. Thank you for sharing them!

Return to “Production Techniques”