Saturation Tools for 2021

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NinjaToon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:45 pm
Unaspected wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:19 pm
NinjaToon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:43 am
LFO8 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 am What you describe (only 1-2% range) is a matter of gain staging.
Please explain? I follow best practice with GS always have but I still don't understand what you mean.
I was going to say the same.

If you lower your input then the following gain stage will have more range.
I guess I'm not in the habit of inserting gain adjustment between processors on a master bus. I would set it early then adjust it at the end if needs must and if I do I never find any travel on BB but I would for Kelvin at the same RMS (hottest mixbus for me would be -16-14 at the most).

I guess it's true that I could drop it down to sub -20 to find more travel tho but that's fiddlyness I generally wouldn't pursue, especially when I don't have to do that for any other saturator in my experience. I just don't think there's enough usable travel on BB. Like there is no way you would go to one o clock or beyond on BB right?
You can go beyond one o clock, depending on the input signal and desired result. For cleaner warmth and improved resolution, drop the input gain in the plugin. If that isn't enough you could either drop the output of the processor before it or insert a gain stage there to attenuate the level going into HG-2.

There are plenty of plugins that benefit from correct gain staging, HG-2 is not an exception.

Unaspected wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:03 pm
NinjaToon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:45 pm
Unaspected wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:19 pm
NinjaToon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:43 am
LFO8 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 am What you describe (only 1-2% range) is a matter of gain staging.
Please explain? I follow best practice with GS always have but I still don't understand what you mean.
I was going to say the same.

If you lower your input then the following gain stage will have more range.
I guess I'm not in the habit of inserting gain adjustment between processors on a master bus. I would set it early then adjust it at the end if needs must and if I do I never find any travel on BB but I would for Kelvin at the same RMS (hottest mixbus for me would be -16-14 at the most).

I guess it's true that I could drop it down to sub -20 to find more travel tho but that's fiddlyness I generally wouldn't pursue, especially when I don't have to do that for any other saturator in my experience. I just don't think there's enough usable travel on BB. Like there is no way you would go to one o clock or beyond on BB right?
You can go beyond one o clock, depending on the input signal and desired result. For cleaner warmth and improved resolution, drop the input gain in the plugin. If that isn't enough you could either drop the output of the processor before it or insert a gain stage there to attenuate the level going into HG-2.

There are plenty of plugins that benefit from correct gain staging, HG-2 is not an exception.
I don't think my gainstaging is the issue tho. I wonder if BB bothers anyone else in this regard?

Put BB on, nudge the dial. That's it. Toast don't burn.

PSP saturator is another I've been using lately and that is fine on the Master bus for usable travel at -20 to -16 rms. Obviously I'm not asking for the full knob range on every plugin but more than nudge range would be an improvement.

Anyway I'm too lazy to fiddle with inserting gain adjustments between processors. Consistently aiming for -18 should be enough, mix fast die young.
Last edited by NinjaToon on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BB has an input knob on it.

LFO8 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:52 pm BB has an input knob on it.
Fair enough. :tu:

https://youtu.be/Z6aIuoVpMT0

https://youtu.be/UXjApQhAnkc

Did these just blow right by everybody? I'm the only one who listened to these for more than a few seconds?

Listen to this man sing.

Bravo, is all I can say. Bravo. :clap:

Oh, you can skip forward to 0:34 on the second one to bypass him talking about the plugin.

Mind Riot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 am
https://youtu.be/UXjApQhAnkc

Listen to this man sing.

Bravo, is all I can say. Bravo. :clap:
what the hell did I just listen to? must be the virus....

i skipped because the music is not my cup of tea but thanks for bringing it to attention. judging by the singing it appears like this could be a fun guy to hang around with

Kush.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

The moment you realize that wasn't satire... :help:

NinjaToon wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:38 pm The moment you realize that wasn't satire... :help:
But nonetheless brilliant comedy. :hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Klevgrand LUXE (which is also compression, but still, it is GREAT and simple). Plus Voxengo VariSaturator, I use it on every mix.

Not classified as a saturator, but Autoformer gives me grit, punch, and a subtle little something. Depending on how you dial it in.
I got it free with a Pluginboutique purchase.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Plugin Alliance actually updated something.
Great news for fans of the Black Box HG-2MS and those of you looking for a great saturator plugin: we have just released a new and improved version (V1.1.1)

The following bugs have been fixed in this new version:

Saturation Solo causes popping sounds when activating and deactivating.
Clicking sounds at the start of audio clips.

To install this updated version:

Launch our Installation Manager
Locate and select the Black Box HG-2MS,
Choose your format
Click on 'Download & Install'.

The new version will automatically replace the previous version. Should you encounter any issues, don't hesitate to get in touch with our customer support. We hope you enjoy this update!
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

AndrewMaze wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:21 pm Klevgrand LUXE (which is also compression, but still, it is GREAT and simple)
indeed, tried it and liked it

Aloysius wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:30 pm Plugin Alliance actually updated something.
Great news for fans of the Black Box HG-2MS and those of you looking for a great saturator plugin: we have just released a new and improved version (V1.1.1)

The following bugs have been fixed in this new version:

Saturation Solo causes popping sounds when activating and deactivating.
Clicking sounds at the start of audio clips.

To install this updated version:

Launch our Installation Manager
Locate and select the Black Box HG-2MS,
Choose your format
Click on 'Download & Install'.

The new version will automatically replace the previous version. Should you encounter any issues, don't hesitate to get in touch with our customer support. We hope you enjoy this update!
Would be great if their manager app actually let you know when something is updated - really hard to know what is uptodate and what isn't from PA.

Return to “Effects”