VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of getting the drums and reverb deal when I upgrade...I am just waiting to see if all the modules port over, it seems to be missing some I really love like the Instruo modules.

Rack 2 Pro + VCV Drums + VCV Sound Stage bundle

$209 VALUE
$139 UNTIL 2022

EDIT- Bought :party: That sound stage reverb is something else, glad I went in on that as I wasn't really looking at it before....
Last edited by SLiC on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:36 am
Robinrobo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:49 pm I couldn't tell for sure from the system requirements. Does anyone know if there is a VST 2 version for Linux as well?
Yes, both free and pro versions support Linux.
Nice! Much obliged

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 am I am just waiting to see if all the modules port over, it seems to be missing some I really love like the Instruo modules.
...then there is good news for you:
https://community.vcvrack.com/t/instruo ... ased/11960

How does this compare to CherryAudio Voltage Modular? (for beginners in modular).
I know there is the free version to try it out, but just wanted to understand from the more experienced, if it's worth pluging into this too, and how does it compare to the VoltageModular (ease of use, sound quality, versatility, etc.)after passing the steeper part of the learning curve.
Thanks

I'd stick my neck out and say Voltage Modular is more user friendly/holds your hand more; preset browser, multiple connections on the Ins etc. Sounds fine, I can't say either is better. I personally don't like the graphics of VM, kind of busy, high contrast or something, much prefer the general look of VCVs modules (though obviously they can look like horrible too depending on the dev :)) So the most obvious difference is cost, the free VM has ~22 modules as opposed to a couple of thousand for VCV... I've seen VM Ignite for £12 which bumps it up to forty odd modules, a decent move upwards I'd say. But after that you pay for nearly everything.

Ultimately, they're both a collection of modules that you string together with cables, if you're starting from scratch then you'll learn the fundamentals on either.

Just to throw another option in; NI Reaktor Player with the free Blocks from Michael Hetrick and Toybox would give you hundreds (I think) of Blocks to play with. I find the patch management of NI stuff a pain but helluva playground for nothing.

kinkajou wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:00 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 am I am just waiting to see if all the modules port over, it seems to be missing some I really love like the Instruo modules.
:hihi: That was my question he answered (I'm Sean ;-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

andy4trance wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:41 pm How does this compare to CherryAudio Voltage Modular? (for beginners in modular).
I know there is the free version to try it out, but just wanted to understand from the more experienced, if it's worth pluging into this too, and how does it compare to the VoltageModular (ease of use, sound quality, versatility, etc.)after passing the steeper part of the learning curve.
Thanks
Here's my quick take...

VCV:
  • Great workflow
  • Low cost of entry (free for standalone, $99 intro for a plugin), lowest cost per module
  • Looks more like Eurorack and less like Lego blocks compared to Voltage Modular
  • LOTS of modules - most free - including ports of hardware modules from Audible, Befaco, etc.
  • Has the most "fun" modules when it comes to CV/Sequencer/Logic modules - the low barrier of entry for development means lots of creative people have made some really cool modules
  • OSC/Filter/VCA modules are better sounding than Voltage Modular, but not quite as good as Softube. Note: this has nothing to do with the VCV engine - Softube could theoritically port their modules to VCV, or U-he/Cytomic could make filter modules if they chose).
  • Seems very developer friendly in a way that could encourage more developers hopping on board - easy to make modules, you can sell modules in the VCV library or distribute them entirely on your own, open or closed source licensing, etc.
  • VST support, Linux, no M1 [don't recall offhand if AU and AAX are offered]
Voltage Modular:
  • Has a sound I don't particularly understand or care for
  • Slicker experience when it comes to purchasing modules, browsing, etc.
  • Low cost of entry, once you start adding modules more costly than VCV
  • M1 support and all major plugin formats
Softube Modular:
  • Fewest modules, but the ones they do have sound great
  • Most costly option (upfront cost can be reasonable, but individual module cost for add-ons gets very high)
  • Worst workflow by far
  • If you own other Softube products, modules get added to Softube Modular for free where applicable
  • Nice looking
  • All major plugin formats supported, no M1 native
In my estimation, VCV Rack is "the best overall" Eurorack-style software modular. I leave out Reaktor because it's so much more than just the Blocks, and frankly, I don't think the Blocks are it's strong suit.

Thanks a lot for your answers @Funkybot'sEvil Twin and @GarryG.
Yep 99$ is not free, but won't break the bank either. Unless it's VST, I won't use it for sure. So I may pull the trigger after all.

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm
but... still... good news! :lol: :tu:

well, resistance is futile...
i bought that big package too. its too good. especially with an paypal installment plan for 12 month with just 7euros extra costs :D. thats around 11euros per month for one year (just in case someone is even interested in that info ;D)

kinkajou wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:03 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm
but... still... good news! :lol: :tu:
Hell Yes, Love those modules and can't afford the hardware!

Hmm.. tempted by the drums + sound stage bundle but the few youtube examples I've checked all seem to have quite a bit of clicky artifacts when modulating the axis. Can anybody confirm this being a problem or not?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

FYI AU and M1 support will eventually be coming......Works fine in Rosetta 2

VCV decimates Cherry and Softube. It shouldnt even be a question

I'll stay with Softube Modular.
It's just the real one.

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm I'll stay with Softube Modular.
It's just the real one.
lmao....have fun with that browser buddy

Return to “Instruments”