VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and popcorn is being made... let the show begin!

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm It's just the real one.
beg to differ :P

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtube/rack5.jpeg

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:33 pm Hmm.. tempted by the drums + sound stage bundle but the few youtube examples I've checked all seem to have quite a bit of clicky artifacts when modulating the axis. Can anybody confirm this being a problem or not?
i hope not as i bought it for that ! i will give it a try later today

edit : no it s smooth except when modulation Y axis specially at audiorate and sometiems when slower also
if you need the drums it worth it i guess but if not .. might be better to go with the one at 99$ and by some other vcv stuff, the reverb is not exceptional..
Last edited by kobal on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.

wow, wasnt she small back then :o

definitely be grabbing this :tu:

Been playing with VCV 2 all day today and I'm still a bit at a crossroad with this thing. I'm sure it's probably placebo on my part but I just think NI Reaktor blocks sound better, especially when doing stuff at audio rate.

VCV is definitely much better sounding than Cheery Audio Modular (which sound I don't like at all) but there's just something bothering me about VCV too.. it's sort of "hard" and seems a bit difficult to use it for more traditional roles (which is what I use modular gear for.. not just strange sequences + blips & blops). I love modular stuff for the fine tuning of "tone" that I can get with them and VCV almost scratches that itch.. but not quite.

What I thoroughly dislike about Reaktor Blocks is how difficult it is to make it polyphonic and how much more cumbersome it is to keep track of complex patches, whereas VCV is very easy for me to navigate and keep track of what is going on.

Having said that, there are commercial libraries out there that make patching more immediate and fun (like Nano Blocks pack).. but still, there's just something about NI Reaktor's implementation that really bothers me.

Wish they made polyphony available at the click of a button as it is in VCV.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm Been playing with VCV 2 all day today and I'm still a bit at a crossroad with this thing. I'm sure it's probably placebo on my part but I just think NI Reaktor blocks sound better, especially when doing stuff at audio rate.

VCV is definitely much better sounding than Cheery Audio Modular (which sound I don't like at all) but there's just something bothering me about VCV too.. it's sort of "hard" and seems a bit difficult to use it for more traditional roles (which is what I use modular gear for.. not just strange sequences + blips & blops). I love modular stuff for the fine tuning of "tone" that I can get with them and VCV almost scratches that itch.. but not quite.

What I thoroughly dislike about Reaktor Blocks is how difficult it is to make it polyphonic and how much more cumbersome it is to keep track of complex patches, whereas VCV is very easy for me to navigate and keep track of what is going on.

Having said that, there are commercial libraries out there that make patching more immediate and fun (like Nano Blocks pack).. but still, there's just something about NI Reaktor's implementation that really bothers me.

Wish they made polyphony available at the click of a button as it is in VCV.
What is your main issue with VCV? You werent specific. You do know that there are tons of modules still being prepped and ready for V2 right? This is day 1....

bmanic i recheck with headphone and Y axis can get a bit clicky in some case yes .

reaktor yes i think might be best sounding when comparing to analog stuff and to me not suprising as ni is into this since so many years

but vcv can sound very good as well

for me reaktor is probably the best sounding software how there to get close to analog , osc sound with good depth and beefy ,filters sound great but i don t see it as replacement for vcv .. depending what i m after i will go for one or the other.. the problem is even more learning curve and time spent in other things insteed of composing :D
Last edited by kobal on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bmanic, from my perspective, I don't think there's a VCV sound. Or if there is, I don't hear it. Cherry has a sound.

I think VCV's audio modules are pretty good (well above Cherry), with some nice stuff from Vult and others, but overall, the audio modules are not at the Cytomic or U-he level yet. Or even Softube. I think that's just because absolute best-in-class DSP knowledge is rare. I think that's what you're likely hearing and reacting to.

My wish is that Cytomic, U-he, Synapse, all look at VCV as a way to take some existing filters, oscs, amps, envelopes, and generate more revenue off of mostly existing DSP code with minimal effort. It's a fairly open platform that makes development trivial enough that amateurs are releasing modules so there may be some appetite for popular developers to hop on board. When you combine that with all the really awesome, whacky, CV stuff with best-in-class DSP, you'd have a hit! Not that it isn't already a hit.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I suspect we're going to see more and more developers hop on board the VCV train compared to some other platforms.

Reaktor is great, however blocks is not even the slightest as user friendly as VCV. I will give credit where credit is due to Reaktor though. Its def a monster. I just think VCV has something that you just cant get with other modular plugins, and its the ease of use in how the browser works, and how you can very easily patch and move modules around.

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm polyphony
its a fad. :roll:

I have tried them alI (own most of them) and also have almost 500hp of hardware eurorack…VCV is my preference in software….

VCV is still free (unless you want the plug in version) and has most of the MI modules included free…what’s not to like!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm It's just the real one.
beg to differ :P

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtube/rack5.jpeg
That image loads like I'm on dial up :hihi:

you can run the engine at higher sample rate , just 88.2 can make a noticable difference to not get the filter tam the highend. audio rate modulation to me sound good but you can run the engin way higher if needed .

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:13 pm.

My wish is that Cytomic, U-he, Synapse, all look at VCV as a way to take some existing filters, oscs, amps, envelopes, and generate more revenue off of mostly existing DSP code with minimal effort. It's a fairly open platform that makes development trivial enough that amateurs are releasing modules so there may be some appetite for popular developers to hop on board.
Do they have to be open source?

Return to “Instruments”