Last time to see: my site, with music by myself and the band I used to play in

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It wasn't getting much traffic anymore, so I decided to pull the plug on soniclove.net.
I put a select few of my songs on my new soundcloud page, but in case anyone is interested in the full monty (including some artwork) now is the time.
(As to soundcloud, I appreciate the service they offer, but it seems near impossible to find my music there - and I seem to get even fewer views. Ah well, at least I'll be saving some money)

I don't look for other people's music at Soundcloud, so should I go there to check something of mine I'm confronted with the consumer experience and a lot of stuff I have zero interest in, and I do it so seldom I don't quite recall where to find my own typically. No way will I have paid for any of that, the paid quality is the same crap quality as the free. No, I'd moved completely to Youtube about 7 yrs ago. It is a good backup for hosting the files, I don't have many of the originals otherwise.

jancivil wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:38 pm I'd moved completely to Youtube about 7 yrs ago. It is a good backup for hosting the files, I don't have many of the originals otherwise.
Sounds scary to me. I put my trust in autobackup to the cloud, these days. I wouldn't be at ease having only the single copy (be it in the cloud or local).

chances are pretty low I'll ever need the older files, I did want one recently I didn't feel like waiting for Google takeout for. I have numerous copies of the current versions (nearly none locally) on the 'net. I'm not actually attached to my past like that.

What about the memories though? I hope you won't be missing stuff as you grow older. People's appreciation of memorabilia increases over time.

as I grow older...
meh, I'm 65

I do miss this one cassette from a thing my partner-in-crime and I did in 87, I lost the thing in 2006.
Google's not going anywhere, no need to worry. I have it all covered, the older wavs have been superseded

I can't listen to my old stuff I created with my life-long friend and recording partner since we were 14. I have a tape from January, 1975, about 8 months after I picked up the guitar. It's gawdawful. But the later stuff we did, I was in the process of doing digital remixes and remastering when he died. I haven't been able to listen to it, or continue with the remixes for more than 10 years, now. I just can't deal with it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Brazieal and I did some things. This on cassette was a song we made up in real time (I suspect he had some pretty solid ideas going in), "People Get Excited", still easily the best thing I've done ex nihilo. Just nailing it. We were loaded to the gills on H. Which has the effect of making you focus in_the_moment with no extraneous bullshit to look cute doing. We did all the recording for an album but it never got past rough mix stage, "Home From Work", which was a nice 80s pop song which goes very wrong. I'd like to have that, but I don't know if it got 'baked' and preserved, if not it's just scattered magnetic particles now, if there is still the tape. I'd like that one LSD and Persian jam, too, where I... guided people's impules via MIDI and ESP.

In comparison the stuff on a DAW is not a source of nostalgia, and, well... I got better at the craft. The craft was not at issue with live performance, just that most things are not keepers like these gems. There's likely someone here with copies of what I posted here in '07. There may even be mp3s on Box.net or something. I'd prefer not. I live for the next thing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”