VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish there was a demo of the VST version. I tried the free standalone and I'm kind of not into it, but maybe it'd be a different story if I had it integrated and used it as a sort of side dish for the hardware, like I do with Bitwig Grid. I may still go for it anyway... hmm.

My take on naysayers is they are likely used to presets they get from other modular plugins, and since VCV doesnt have presets, they get lazy and turned off because they dont know what they are doing. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but it is crazy to me that anyone would say they dont like VCV.

foosnark wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm I wish there was a demo of the VST version. I tried the free standalone and I'm kind of not into it, but maybe it'd be a different story if I had it integrated and used it as a sort of side dish for the hardware, like I do with Bitwig Grid. I may still go for it anyway... hmm.
I would say if your not in to it stand alone then having it as a VST wont add much...I still prefer to use it standalone, the difference is now I can save it and use it in a DAW now at a latter date...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:27 am
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 am Have you tried Applied Acoustics Multiphonics?
Second best (after Softube Modular).
Really? I found it to sound plasticky and the choice of modules is very poor.
I guess you can argue that 'sound' is subjective, but the amount and type of modules isn't, and the modules with Multiphonic CV1 is currently very scant and quite basic (other than perhaps the OBJEQ filter)

I still bought it though, $29 bucks upgrade in BF sale, couldn't help myself ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The audible instruments Liquid filter sounds fantastic .
The original ' Ripples' being fully analog , the digital implementation is really good
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

kocmoc filter i think is zdf should be better for audiorate modulation, if you right click you can set the filter oversampling also.
there is also few feedback mode to choose

pretty happy with these filter but didn t check audiorate modulation, resonance and behavior on sweep and depending the input volume , seems to sound much better than vult.. just a short try but it sound very analog to me, i feel at home with these, with vult i noticed some strange behavoir i never experciend but it might be cause of the strange modulations sent to it :lol:

one can be set to integration method : trapezoidal i wonder what it is?
Last edited by kobal on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I've never really spent much time with this before since it was standalone but I'm very tempted now. Seems like you get a near-endless amount of utility if there's also an insert FX version of it, plus pretty much all the sequencers most people will ever need to send out MIDI to other stuff in your DAW etc.

Does anyone know if the Host module works OK nested inside the VST versions? I want plugins inside my plugins!

Mumdad wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:33 pm Does anyone know if the Host module works OK nested inside the VST versions? I want plugins inside my plugins!
Unfortunately the Host module is currently not working correctly:
https://community.vcvrack.com/t/host-bug/15034
This is a known bug, though, so hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Ah, thanks for that - I did some searching on there but obviously didn't look hard enough.

It does sound like it's supposed to work and other VSTs support that sort of thing so finger crossed there's a fix soon, as you say. I might hang fire for a little while if the discount is good for the next month since putting stuff like Cytomic filters in there would be a huge part of the appeal for me.

SLiC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pmI still bought it though, $29 bucks upgrade in BF sale, couldn't help myself ;-)
Same, but that's about how much it's worth I think... I already have Objeq Delay.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Here's vult freak filter ( hardware version but still dsp based , 6 different topologys) ) compared to analog filters
You get the same amazing filter in vcv rack , altough it's a payware module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98uRiUARAU&t=2496s
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Some types in Freak are available as free modules (like Steiner-Parker, Sallen-Key, Variable State, Diode Ladder and "acid" TB-303),
https://library.vcvrack.com/?page=1&lim ... cense=free

I bought the bundle with all the individual filters years ago, they're usually mono.
Freak is a separate purchase which includes them all-in-one and it's stereo.

nice thanks guys ! i will check , is there some other great modules in the payware bundle?

Looking forward to giving the new version a try!

Smapti wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 pm Unfortunately the Host module is currently not working correctly:
https://community.vcvrack.com/t/host-bug/15034
This is a known bug, though, so hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
A fix for Host went out a few minutes ago. Seems stable to me

Return to “Instruments”