Some sounds overrated ?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the past I would watch videos of soundpacks presets
An I'm like wow they sound amazing big loads of reverb delay etc
Now I'm turned off by too many effectsand these over produced kinda sounds , I like raw synth
or organic sounds I'd rather edit the release a little a little filter some light reverb etc have some nice samples and raw presets and add slightly to them
What about you guys are some soundpacks overrated ? And just Chuck loaded with effects to wow you in a instructional video ?

Ps:by the way I'm really enjoying luftrums grain refill right now dropping the samples into grain such nice clean samples

I feel the same way. With some sounds the effects make the sound, and so it is.
I make the majority of my sounds without effects on, and get them to sound good without using them.
There are a lot of ways to get a nice reverb and delay effects using only synthesis though, so long as your synth has certain parameters, like multi-voice detune capabilities. You can use that, mixed with certain longer release times to simulate reverb. Adding an lfo to the filter with the right release settings can get you a delay effect.
This soundset I did has around 90% of the sounds that don't use any reverb, chorus, or delay.
Even the ones that sound like delay and reverb are on, aren't using those effect modules.
https://soundcloud.com/monomo/monomodune3

mcnoone wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:42 pm I feel the same way. With some sounds the effects make the sound, and so it is.
I make the majority of my sounds without effects on, and get them to sound good without using them.
There are a lot of ways to get a nice reverb and delay effects using only synthesis though, so long as your synth has certain parameters, like multi-voice detune capabilities. You can use that, mixed with certain longer release times to simulate reverb. Adding an lfo to the filter with the right release settings can get you a delay effect.
This soundset I did has around 90% of the sounds that don't use any reverb, chorus, or delay.
Even the ones that sound like delay and reverb are on, aren't using those effect modules.
https://soundcloud.com/monomo/monomodune3
Really nice sounds yeah I think some sounds are way over cooked attack and release are your friends lol

matrixo9 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm Really nice sounds yeah I think some sounds are way over cooked attack and release are your friends lol
How many times have you heard some great sound, then turn off the effects and realized that patch was two minutes away from an initialize preset?
Some sounds, when the effects get turned off, are horrible sounding. Though I guess setting effects to make a basic sound, sound good, takes some skill.

mcnoone wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:52 pm
matrixo9 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm Really nice sounds yeah I think some sounds are way over cooked attack and release are your friends lol
How many times have you heard some great sound, then turn off the effects and realized that patch was two minutes away from an initialize preset?
Some sounds, when the effects get turned off, are horrible sounding. Though I guess setting effects to make a basic sound, sound good, takes some skill.
some really does take skill
but why im not a good sound designer
these days i like getting a simple sound and just adding minimal stuff and using that or a nice organic sound like you said these sounds will blow u away but they dont fit in
im using reverb in a much more minimal way although there is a pipe thing like a resonator in reason by turn2on i really like that thing but yeah i agree

Return to “Soundware”