When you find that everything has been done already?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I failed to make a good deplosive so did ssl and izotope/rx.
It hasn't been haha.

Auto makeup is also an intrepid beast to tame with that said.

It did surprise me that there is no still free multiphonic analog synthesizer emulation after all this time. So I started making one. Then I understood why there are no free ones. Four years later, I've almost finished. It wasn't easy.

yofiel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:11 am It did surprise me that there is no still free multiphonic analog synthesizer emulation after all this time. So I started making one. Then I understood why there are no free ones. Four years later, I've almost finished. It wasn't easy.
Same, I haven’t seen a recent (2010-now) virtual analog synth that can do cable patching, so I decided to build one myself. I’ve built a few synths before that were never released because I always went over my head in adding features- but this is a great way to learn. I’m trying to keep this one simple from an architecture standpoint. I’m not even using parallel processing for the voices, but it’s still considerably fast. :D

The OP appears to be suffering from “writer’s block,” but is blaming his tools and technology. The OP’s musings and questions, for example what to do about the alleged “boundaries” of signal processing, are based on misconceptions.

For example:

The idea that “there is nothing new under the sun” as expressed in Ecclesiastes 1, referenced by another poster in what appears to be a sympathetic response to the OP, is an understandable and provincial view of primitive agrarian and hunter-gatherer societies. But with regards to science and technology, this idea that an inescapable state of complete stasis can be reached is at least three centuries out of date.

One should not conclude that the existing set of products at a given time is all that can be produced with a given set of tools, i.e. that “boundaries” are somehow implied by the necessarily finite number of products existing at a given time.

Allegations of limitations or “boundaries” of signal processing are especially inappropriate, given that this is an active area of research and that signal processing is a set of tools. Should we take seriously a carpenter who complains that he cannot build anything novel with his set of tools, a set to which every day is added another new tool? Of course not.

Philosophically, the notion that a programming language is “about” something is antithetical to the concept of a general-purpose machine. That a general-purpose programming language such as C++ is somehow the cause of a programmer’s inability to come up with anything novel would be a ridiculous thing to claim.

Once again: Writer’s block. Usually the solution is tailored to the individual. The web is full of suggestions as to what to do about it.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”