Is Focusrite the best bang-for-the-buck audio interface, or is there something thats better ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have 2i2 version 1 and it's been good so far. As someone already pointed out, I wish that the drivers were updated to accommodate all the quirks of Windows 10. As it is now I had to disable Windows fast boot and other stuff or else the sound will be distorted every time I boot up my computer. Latency is not a problem for me even with 2i2 version 1, and I know Focusrite even improved the latency in ver 2.

Another bonus is that you get some free plugins when you buy from them and you become a member in the plugin collective where they give away new plugins from different developers every month ;) ..it's a nice bonus.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Bansaw wrote:Is presonus as good with latency as Focusrite? I am assuming it would be. The Presonus usb96 comes with a midi interface at the back which is nice.
Presonus's Quantum is the lowest latency interface available. However, it's Thunderbolt (not to mention way out of your price range) and their USB interfaces have higher latency. Long story short, stick with the Focusrite Solo.

I've thought about getting the Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre but they still haven't made it compatible with the new MacBook Pro 2016 models with a thunderbolt 3/USB 3 port. I really hope they are working on it!

I'm just curious — will switching from an old Presonus AudioBox 22VSL audio interface to a Focusrite or similar quality audio interface noticeably improve the sound in my studio? Those newer audio interfaces surely have much better DAC's but will that be something you can actually hear (if you have a reasonably good ear and production experience)?

A good DAC is pretty easy to hear. You hear space more clearly and the frequency response is smoother. I haven’t compared the Focusrite to the Presonus but this is what I hear when I switch from the Apollo to the Lynx.

Sounds good. I have something to look forward to then!

Soarer wrote:I've thought about getting the Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre but they still haven't made it compatible with the new MacBook Pro 2016 models with a thunderbolt 3/USB 3 port. I really hope they are working on it!
Are you listening Focusrite? :x :D
Please also make it bus powered with thunderbolt 3!

Best bang for buck interfaces currently are the Behringer UMC series - built like tanks, sound great, great quality pots/knobs, great quality pres, rock solid drivers - worth twice their price.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Astralv wrote:Apple or Mac?
Fish.

As for the the interface you have two choices (though it will widely be debated)

You can either cheap it out (which frankly, focusrite makes a good product for the money, don't get me wrong) or you can go with something like RME which cost a fortune but is a good a choice as you can get (no bullshit)

Anything in between is, kinda pointless to me. How do I know? I've been there. Hopefully I won't offend anyone that has that stuff but what it boils down to is drivers. Trust me, please, before I got an RME I didn't know. And you have a tendency to think "f**k that, it's too expensive"

But I've had mine for years now and the latency is ace, the sound is ace, the quality is ace and I never think about my soundcard. This is coming from the guy who has had every conceivable issue and has posted madly about it.

I just don't think there is a middle ground any longer. Get the best or the focusrite (which again, I think makes a really good unit for the price)

Also you could get something with ADAT like a 2nd hand RME Digiface and couple with a cheap 2nd hand Behringer ADA8000, or several!

I just picked one up an ADA8000 for £50 to expand my RME Multiface.

Huge thread on Gearslutz blind comparing the ADA8000 to an Aurora Lynx 16 and the majority preferred the Behringer, so it can't be that bad !!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sh ... a8000.html
Amazon: why not use an alternative

incubus wrote:
Astralv wrote:Apple or Mac?
Fish.
I think he was on mac, but changed to apple.

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Just got a Solo, which replaced my very first interface when I had Pro Tools, an Eleven Rack (which effects I never used - I only it for the mic and line in - and I can't remember why I chose it). The Solo is much hotter in gain than the Eleven Rack, and I don't know if it's the Air button, but it has more clarity and a bit less boom than the ER for my microphone. Plug and play. So far, I love it.

RME doesn´t need to cost a lot. You can probably find a 2nd hand Hammerfall for 100-150 EUR.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Has anyone the SSL 2+? I still have my 2 trusty E-mu 1212m PCIe that were given a new lease of life, but I'm wondering what to get next. RME seemed the next best thing. For some reason I'm also hotter for internal soundcards, but the SSL looks intriguing.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”