Change of monitoring speakers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For the moment I have Focal Alpha 65s.

I would like to change monitoring speakers to have more power, definition, purity, clarity of sound.

I wanted to take back Adam A8X, but more produced and when possible to find in stores, the price is higher than normal.

So, I would like to find an alternative.

I thought of taking Adam A7X and a subwoofer.

I have a room of about 25 m2.

I intend to process it later to have better sound quality.

I compose techno, melodic techno and uplifting trance.

Can you give me your opinion for quality monitoring speakers and accounting with my research and with my style of music.

Thanks in advance.

What’s your budget?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

My budget is around 1500 euros.

That’s about the same size as my studio and your budget is about what I paid for speakers earlier this year (I think, with the Euro to USD conversion). Anyway, I was using Yamaha HS80M and HS10 subwoofer for years but always struggled with my mixes and ultimately figured out that two 8-inch monitors and 10-inch sub was too much for my small office/studio. After shopping around for a few months, I finally decided on my Genelec 8030c monitors and 7040a sub. I had to buy them without hearing them in person because no stores in my area carried any of the models I was considering, but they exceeded my expectations. It’s a small but mighty system, very small desktop footprint, built like tanks, and the clarity and detail across the entire spectrum is mind-blowing to me.

As for being “more powerful”, they get plenty loud for me, but I tend to mix at low to moderate levels to avoid ear fatigue and only occasionally crank it up, but you’d probably want to go with bigger models if you’re looking for deafening SPLs (I don’t recommend that, though). :phones:

I can’t compare them to anything else in that price range because, as I said, I never got a chance to hear anything else in person, but I would definitely recommend giving the Genelecs a look.
Last edited by cryophonik on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

A big thank you for your feedback and your opinion.

I'll take a look at this 😊

I don't really know the products of this brand.

But they have an excellent reputation for quality and you can confirm it by your comments 😊

How and where did you place your Sub?

Trancer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:09 am I would like to change monitoring speakers to have more power, definition, purity, clarity of sound.
[...]
My budget is around 1500 euros.
In this price class it all becomes subjective. For proper judgement you need to place the new set in your room and compare. Or take your old set to a shop to compare. Not an easy decision for you what to do...
Trancer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:09 am How and where did you place your Sub?
In the consumer market (surround home) they say positioning a subwoofer is not that critical. Somewhere out of sight is fine. Laws of physics... it's indirect sound where as nearfield needs direct unreflected sound.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thank you for your reply.

It is clear that better to try first.

The worry, not really the possibility of doing it.

Not really a store with a sufficient choice of speakers to test, therefore, this option not feasible.

The why I ask your opinion of your experience and your choices concerning your speakers.

Trancer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:02 am I don't really know the products of this brand.

But they have an excellent reputation for quality and you can confirm it by your comments 😊
Yes, they're one of the most reputable monitor brands around and that weighed heavily on my decision. They're based in Finland, make heavy use of recycled materials, have built-in isolation pods for feet, and, as I said, have a very detailed and clear sound. They're also very hefty and solid with aluminum casings. If an intruder ever broke into my studio, I'd crack his head open like an egg with one of them then plug it back in and keep making music (yes, Genelec, you can put that quote on your product page :hihi:).
Trancer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:02 am How and where did you place your Sub?
I totally agree with Bert regarding placement. My home studio is also our office and it's filled with dense wood desks and cabinets, so floor space is pretty limited. I tried a few places around the room, but didn't really notice much difference, so I placed it near the corner, under my desk where my DAW is, followed Genelec's recommendations for distance from walls/corners, tuned it with the onboard switches, and was good to go.

I agree, to some extent, that hearing them in person is ideal, but it's really not practical in my experience. I live in a fairly affluent part of the globe (capital of California, 1.5 hours from San Francisco) and I could not find ANY stores that stocked the higher end brands I was considering, let alone have all of them on display next to each other for comparison (buying them during the height of the pandemic certainly made this worse). Then, you also have to consider that hearing these monitors in a large salesroom doesn't tell you how they're going to translate to a much smaller home studio. So, I think the reality is that you're probably going to have to do your research and make an informed decision without actually hearing any/most of your choices, then spend the time to tweak them to your studio's acoustics, get used to hearing them by listening to commercial tracks, etc. Also, make sure that, whatever you decide to buy, you buy them from a store with a good return/exchange policy, just in case.

Trancer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:09 am For the moment I have Focal Alpha 65s.
What's actually wrong with the Focal Alphas? They should be fine for mixing. If they don't sound clear do you have them well setup? A 5x5m room should be ok unless you're set up.in.a.cormer.or maybe right against a wall.

I'd try moving them around a bit first.otherwsie you might upgrade.and have the.same.issues.

Thank you for your answers.

Here the speakers are on a home studio unit purchased specially for this purpose.

the Focal are on two plates which can be adjusted by swiveling.

I changed the location, even if hard feet suitable for speakers, with insulation.

I put basstrap behind the two speakers in the corner of the walls.

The speakers are one meter from the wall.

At the time I had Adam A8x, the positioning was almost identical and no basstrap and the sound reproduction was really impeccable.

Here in my current piece, the Focal do not render very well, a sound which is scattered and weak.

The Genelec seems to be a good alternative, compared to the Adam A8x, which will have the best rendering, power, clarity of sound, presence in the room, use for composition, mixing, mastering.

Look for Dunlavy SC-1 SC-2, SC-3 seakers on ebay. Excellent performance and affordable.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”