transient samples (piano, guitar, flute, etc)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm looking for free transient (attack) samples of flutes, guitar, brass, piano, etc) to use them in combination with other samples in the style of LA synthesis (as in the Roland D50). I've looked everywhere but couldn't find any. Any idea where I could find these types of samples please ?

These days, the easiest way might be to find full samples of the instruments and trim the note starts from them yourself.

As LA synthesis and ROMplers are very powerful while pretty cheap for the consumer the industry has labeled them as depraced. And the sample producers think in Gigabytes, transients don´t match their business model - that is also not about supporting DIY.

The combination of samples and synths is generally not in the focus of the synth makers anymore and the synths that have such capabilities are not the overrated quirky hybrid EDM monsters you´ll read about everywhere.

You´ll find separete transients in the MSoundfactory content and ROMpler synths like Rob Papen Vecto. You might also search the web for the e-mu synth ROMs.

But to be honest: I´d recommend to get into the Roland cloud and check the JVs, the D50 and so on. It´s not only about finding transients, but also about matching them with waveforms, their creation and lastly the playback options, synth capabilities, FX ands so on. DIY is a long way, extremely time consuming and the designers back then didn´t just have great materials, but were also not just playing around.

I´d also recommend to maybe check freesound.org for one shots. The rest is on you.

And lastly: they used transients because of the memory restrictions and that is no problem anymore today. You might also just cripple one of those overblown gigabyte pianos.

abducted wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pm Hi, I'm looking for free transient (attack) samples of flutes, guitar, brass, piano, etc) to use them in combination with other samples in the style of LA synthesis (as in the Roland D50). I've looked everywhere but couldn't find any. Any idea where I could find these types of samples please ?
I think GRUMP is right:
GRUMP wrote: ... they used transients because of the memory restrictions and that is no problem anymore today. You might also just cripple one of those overblown gigabyte pianos.
In the 80s, the Roland company had the nice idea of
separating the transient sounds and the associated sustain
sound and combining them anew in order to realize all
possible sound ideas.

The reason for doing this was: They wanted to accommodate
more realistic sounding sounds in the available memory
of a few hundred kilobytes. And that worked very well with
the LA synthesis - i.e. the separation of transients and
sustains: Roland had great success with the LA synthesis. :tu:

Today on the other hand ...

... the pendulum has swung over to the extreme other side:
Huge gigabyte-sized libraries are usually created in 24-bit,