Plugins (VST2, VST3, AU) Parameters Range

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I noticed there is at least one DAWs/Hosts that handle VST parameters exclusively from 0 to 1.

So, if I have a VST2 or VST3 plugin with a parameter going from 0 to 15 (for example a MIDI Channel selector) and I set it to eg.:"14" ;

when I save the DAW project and then I reload it, that parameter value (originally 14) is clamped to 1.

Is that a bad behaviour of that specific Host/DAW or there's a (non-written) rule (I'm not aware of) for which VST, VST3, AU parameters have to be compatible exclusively with the 0-1 range ? (so, making 0-15 illegal)

Thank you for any help...
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

In VST2 by spec the valid range for every parameter is [0,1]. No idea about VST3. AU let's you specify the ranges you want.

Thank you mystran

mystran wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:23 pm In VST2 by spec the valid range for every parameter is [0,1]. No idea about VST3. AU let's you specify the ranges you want.
this is definately indicated early in the documentation for vst3.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

The values must be within [0,1]. Although other values seem to work it's not safe to use this. You could run into trouble with various DAWs

Thank you for your suggestions,

since I'm on WDL-OL (IPlug), I want to see if using SetNormalized() - instead of Set() - will save the day for that parameters (5% of the total) not in the 0-1 range.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”