Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:27 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm Some other ones that may be gone... The PPG synths! Unique synths. They were sold to Plugin Alliance 21 months ago with the statement they would be developed and re-released. There has not been a peep since then and none of the current Plugin Alliance synths are M1 native. I'm not confident the PPG synths will ever re-emerge.

I would love to see Wavemapper, Infinite and Phonem all rise from the dead!
If PA would allow it, they could run native even now in Logic. They do run on iPads since the appearance of M1 iPads…
And to clarify not PA took over, its Brainworx as far as I know, and they had been hit hard by the flood…
Ahh... I thought Brainworx and PA were basically the same.

they are

Brainworx codes, PA sells - in this case exclusively… PA is a dealer with special contracts and all plugins need to be bound into their copy protection scheme aka PA manager….
Brainworx is a company which bound itself into the PA ecosystem. All this is a bit like Apples appstore. Companies who code apps which are sold by Apple are not part of Apple either…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:10 am Brainworx codes, PA sells - in this case exclusively… PA is a dealer with special contracts and all plugins need to be bound into their copy protection scheme aka PA manager….
Brainworx is a company which bound itself into the PA ecosystem. All this is a bit like Apples appstore. Companies who code apps which are sold by Apple are not part of Apple either…
It is possible that PA have issues with their copy protection manager. Lion was mentioned months ago with a working beta, but so far nada zip zilch. So even if Brainworx and the others are ready on their side PA is dragging

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:10 am Brainworx codes, PA sells - in this case exclusively… PA is a dealer with special contracts and all plugins need to be bound into their copy protection scheme aka PA manager….
PA was born directly from BX, has the same CEO (dirk), and shares staff.
Vast majority of PA plugins are coded by BX (SPL, elysia, millenia, bettermaker, Shadowhills, maag...)
in fact vast majority of "companies" advertised on PA site are just brands coded by BX. Not a secret anyway, you need to click the about box.

It's not at all like 3rd party companies who sell on Apple ecosystem.
3rd party are a minority on PA vs Apple ecosystem where apple apps are a handful, furthermore apps on the app store aren't exclusive to the appstore as opposed to PA where most of plugs are PA exclusive (all except DearVR i think).
You can't buy rare 3rd party like Unfiltered Audio, DmitrySches, noveltech anywhere else.

Pluginboutiqe is more like app store, they have 2 or 3 their own plugins and sell mostly 3rd party non-exclusively.
machinesworking wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 am
It is possible that PA have issues with their copy protection manager. Lion was mentioned months ago with a working beta, but so far nada zip zilch. So even if Brainworx and the others are ready on their side PA is dragging
I have a friend who works for BX/PA in germany. BX is not just a company who sells under PA... :?

and as i said, I'm running Thorn native already.

I sure hope BX/PA are still working on re-releasing the PPG plugins!

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 am
PA was born directly from BX, has the same CEO (dirk), and shares staff.
Vast majority of PA plugins are coded by BX (SPL, elysia, millenia, bettermaker, Shadowhills, maag...)
in fact vast majority of "companies" advertised on PA site are just brands coded by BX. Not a secret anyway, you need to click the about box.

It's not at all like 3rd party companies who sell on Apple ecosystem.
3rd party are a minority on PA vs Apple ecosystem where apple apps are a handful, furthermore apps on the app store aren't exclusive to the appstore as opposed to PA where most of plugs are PA exclusive (all except DearVR i think).
You can't buy rare 3rd party like Unfiltered Audio, DmitrySches, noveltech anywhere else.

Pluginboutiqe is more like app store, they have 2 or 3 their own plugins and sell mostly 3rd party non-exclusively.
machinesworking wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 am
I have a friend who works for BX/PA in germany. BX is not just a company who sells under PA... :?

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know this. For sure they don't advertise it as such...

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 am I have a friend who works for BX/PA in germany. BX is not just a company who sells under PA... :?

Forgot that's the only PA plug in that's M! ready, so that points away from the CP being the issue. Unfiltered Audio is also owned outright by PA? because nothing they make is M1 ready, but Lion was mentioned as in the works, internal beta etc. months ago.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pmHey doh boy, what about the 8th Gen Core iX requirement for Windows 11? How's that not a humungous compatibility issue?
That's hardly a "humungous" issue, given how vanishingly rare 8th Gen i9s are. They only ever produced one model - a mobile processor for laptops - in every other range they skipped 8th Gen i9. For comparison, there were at least 5 different 7th Gen i9s and more than a dozen 9th Gen i9s to choose from. All of which makes me wonder what was wrong with the 8th Gen model that they only did one. It seems you may have backed the wrong horse.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Considering the subject of this thread, and the fact that you have absolutely no dog in this race, Apple/M1-wise, would you kindly stop derailing the conversation and go haunt another house?
On a number of Macs

I'm currently taking bets on Absynth as to whether it survives or not...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:42 am I'm currently taking bets on Absynth as to whether it survives or not...
Yeah Evil Dragon mentioned thinking it may not make it. Considering how hard it would be to truly upgrade it in the future now that the developer Brian Clevinger is doing his own thing with Plasmonic, it's a safe bet it doesn't get updated, or at least only to VST3, not resizable GUI's or M1 support. One can hope though.

I hope NI will make Brian an offer he can’t resist. But it would probably be just a recompile of the existing code with little tweaks here and there to make it simply run…

Markus Krause wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:50 pm I don't get all the hate that Microsoft gets. The upgrade to Win11 is optional and free (inofficially even for Win7/8 users) . Win10 will still be supported for several years. So
noone is forced to upgrade or buy a new PC.
I'll keep Win10 on my productive system, since this one also works fine. Win11 is on my gaming machine and will stay there.

I personally like the enhanced user-interface of Win11 and the cleaned-up style. The OS is very stable and boots up faster than Win10.
Please keep in mind that I am not a fanboy. I really hated Vista an Win8
I think I have become a fanboy - the last 4 win versions, including win 8 are very nice and every Software vst plug-in since win xp is running very well. Only some old soundcards from win Xp aren’t compatible since win 7 - 64 bit, but if I read all the problems with Mac compatibility I am very happy with Microsoft. It went to a smooth system - without any issues. And on performance side you can buy hardware for 3.000€ which refers to Macpro configurations up to 20.000€.

I finally went through all my plugins, updating what I could.

Things that will indeed be lost to the Mists of Time™:
Anarchy Rhythms
Linplug CRX4, Free Alpha
SPC Arcsyn (I don't see an update forthcoming...)
A couple of effects, like PSP N2O (again, no updates in ages...)
and a few others that are off no consequence.

I have a dozen or so that need purchased updates, like the Korg Legacy Collection, but they're not compatible with Monterey yet.

I was going to ditch my old computer, but I think I'll keep it around while and sampler the heck out of it, get a good sample library going.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to Logic, or go with a new DAW, but I'm definitely getting Hive and Diva. I was going to go with just the Hive, but it's analog sounds just don't give me the horn like Diva's, so, Why not Both?! They are both so versatile, I can learn the crap out of them and not worry about anything else. Right? :pray:

Right now, DAWs are between Studio One Artist and Bitwig. Probably S1 since I'm getting two Uhe synths.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Instruments”