Waves SSL EV2 Channel Strip - $39.99 (84% off)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What I meant is that when I drive these IK emulations, they become more distorted (coloured) as expected. Even the British Channel (SSL emu) sounds differently when driven hard. But what I hear with the Waves ev2 is much more than that. The whole stereo image is changing when driven hard and snappiness becomes more prominent. With IK emulations I do not hear anything similar. Yes, the coloration is raised with more input signal, but instead of snap-pines I usually hear only more distortion (often a bit brittle) and when you still drive it harder, the signal becomes chocked a damaged. No snappiness, no change of stereo image, no punchier bass, just a bigger beefier sound that usually feels a bit out of focus (especially the mic input button). That is at least my own experience and perception.

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:59 am
itanever wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 pmTo be fair, this one is SSL sanctioned, whereas CLA is not. So it wouldn't make much sense for Waves to make it an update for CLA.
Or maybe they've just not asked SSL for their "stamp of approval" for MixHub, because it was enough to have CLA's one?
Or maybe they were denied. Does it matter, though? The fact of the matter still remains, one is CLA and the other is SSL. Different concepts too. Mixhub is more than just a channel strip.

My opinion is that it makes total sense that they would release this as a brand new plugin. The first version is very old and many people have used it on countless projects. You don't want to break that compatibility.

My other opinion is that I feel sorry for anybody who listens to inexperienced amateurs and youtube clowns and needs their opinion before deciding if a plugin is good or not.

itanever wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:07 pm
itanever wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 pmTo be fair, this one is SSL sanctioned, whereas CLA is not. So it wouldn't make much sense for Waves to make it an update for CLA.
Or maybe they've just not asked SSL for their "stamp of approval" for MixHub, because it was enough to have CLA's one?
Or maybe they were denied. Does it matter, though? The fact of the matter still remains, one is CLA and the other is SSL. Different concepts too. Mixhub is more than just a channel strip.
When Waves puts someone's name on a plugin, that person or company gets a cut. Waves isn't going to want to have 2 names on one product.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Masr wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 pm What I meant is that when I drive these IK emulations, they become more distorted (coloured) as expected. Even the British Channel (SSL emu) sounds differently when driven hard. But what I hear with the Waves ev2 is much more than that. The whole stereo image is changing when driven hard and snappiness becomes more prominent. With IK emulations I do not hear anything similar. Yes, the coloration is raised with more input signal, but instead of snap-pines I usually hear only more distortion (often a bit brittle) and when you still drive it harder, the signal becomes chocked a damaged. No snappiness, no change of stereo image, no punchier bass, just a bigger beefier sound that usually feels a bit out of focus (especially the mic input button). That is at least my own experience and perception.
So what I've discovered is the IN and OUT of the British Channel are both just straight, linear gain increase with no added harmonics. The compressor adds some light overtones, as all compressors will, but with the compressor out, the only analog modeling the British Channel seems to be adding is an artificial noise floor. But as you drive the British Channel you'll start to get headroom distortion, plus possible dynamic interactions from plugins that follow it.

The API and Neve EQs from IK add similarly complex harmonics as EV2. All of these become more complex and change shape as you increase the preamp input.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:51 am
The Noodlist wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:33 pm PA has the upper hand with TMT, no WUP and can be used on multiple machines easily.
...and in my testing takes 1/3 of CPU.
Tried the demo out of curiosity. The high CPU usage has got to be a bug, surely. It appears when the EQ section is engaged.
The graphic scaling on SSL bundle are fine. I still love the SSL G compressor on bass guitar, the SSL Bundle GUIs have greatly improved.
SSL EV2.png
Here's Acustica Sand using EQ, pre and compressor.
SAND.png
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I've just filed a support request regarding the CPU spike when the EQ is 'activated'. Even just enabling the 'listen' button and then disabling it again causes the plugin to use 40% cpu!

Yes, the cpu is unusually high, hopefully they'll fix this...but this CS really does sound nice.

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:33 pm PA has the upper hand with TMT, no WUP and can be used on multiple machines easily.

I just update the dbx® 160 Compressor from Waves, the larger GUI states are blurred, WTH. Hard to believe in these times, even freeware has better scaling.
I'm not sure TMT adds all that much tbh.

I don't have WUP for the Waves plug ins that I've bought. They were all fairly good value and still all work. (Windows)

I picked up the Wave V2 yesterday. I have not had a chance to try it yet. The CPU issue is hopefully a bug. Seems very odd. I too hope they fix it soon.

That's what it comes down to. Different features and workflow too.

The biggest selling point with Waves is their backwards compatibility. 20 year old sessions will still open today with all their plugins intact, because they worked hard to ensure that over the years that it stays that way. There's not many other developers that can guarantee the same.

The way Waves did it is to not add new features to old plugins. Nothing breaks backwards compatibility like adding new features. Otherwise this would obviously be an upgrade for their original SSL Channel E. Instead of doing that, though, they made it a seperate plugin so they continue to ensure the original E strip will continue to work as advertised.

If you want new features in a Waves plugin, you generally buy a new plugin. Its a little bit screwed, but its that way for a very good reason.

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:40 pm
When Waves puts someone's name on a plugin, that person or company gets a cut. Waves isn't going to want to have 2 names on one product.
You also have to realise that companies like SSL and Abbey Road, as another example, are super anal about their image. They don't just allow anyone to badge anything as they wouldn't want anything to be negatively assisted with their company. Image is too important to them. Its never usually something as simple as "if we give you a chunk of cash can we use your badge"

Its for reasons like this that you can bet that they put their best "golden ears" on things like this, comparing it with the "analysis model" to make sure the final product makes the cut. Once they approve thats when companies get the endorsement.

Return to “Effects”