I have no idea what to do

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:08 pm delete your presets and separate yourself from the scene. Yes, it's a slow process, and the end result shows.
depends how many synths youve got.
only took me 20 seconds to wipe my ms2000.

I'm with Bones - playing around with stuff is fun.

Also, Maybe do something outside of what you usually do. My Little Mix loving daughter has been nagging me for a backing track for her own lyrics for a while so I've started doing that with her but we're also going to record a couple of girl band covers. So far we're agreed on 5th Harmony, The Slits and Hole. We'll see how long it lasts before musical differences raise their ugly head (I'm half a century older than her).

Take a 10-year sabbatical. It worked for me.

Yup, it's about fleshing it out - beyond the 4 or 8 bar pattern.

Find another hobby and come back to it in a few years time. Waste of time doing something you don't enjoy or that constantly frustrates you. Life's too short for that.

Take a break, it might help and don't push it, for it its 50/50 that I don't know what I'm doing or that I have an idea in mind.

Unaspected wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm Two years is a very short period of time.
That's what I was thinking. Took me longer than that to learn guitar well enough to perform.

Ludo7777 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:16 pm Hey guys, I'm a hobbyist enjoying music production. However, I feel sort of lost and don't know what to do. It feels even more terrible because I can't push myself to keep making stuff, and I don't even produce that often. I used to like this but I feel like I'm not improving and the thought of making better music pressures me. It's been 2 years and I still feel so lacking. I keep writing 4 bar loops, go back to listen, think it's bad, and abandon it. I play piano and know music theory; I have samples; I have decent plugins; but for some reason I'm just stuck and don't know what to make. What should I try to do? I do have soundcloud so maybe I'll stick it below if that helps. Thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/prod_cvdence
Hiy good evening.

To answer to your problem.
Every artist has this problem, once in is life or even more often.

Remember the following.
Creating something, has nothing to do with " thinking the creation and doing the creation"
Creating is something that is 100% build out of emotions.
So the trick is to get your mind free of thoughts and find a way to move emotionaly out of your daily problems.

May be your difficultys have startet with some sort of change you had in your life that couses you some sort of permanent problem.

THAT would kill your creativity very easy and as long as this situation will continue.
Set your selfe under pressure is the wrong way.
Giving you selfe the freedom to not create is the way.

My experience.

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:30 pm
Azbest wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:40 pm I've been dabbling in music for around 10 years now and I still suck ass. The cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'll still do it for the next 10 years.
pfft come back when youve done 30 odd years and are still shite! :party:
is that how you felt 20 years ago Vurt? 🤔
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:29 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:30 pm
Azbest wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:40 pm I've been dabbling in music for around 10 years now and I still suck ass. The cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'll still do it for the next 10 years.
pfft come back when youve done 30 odd years and are still shite! :party:
is that how you felt 20 years ago Vurt? 🤔
it's how i always feel! :o

Make the music YOU want to listen to. Forget about everything else.
Free yourself from trying to fit into anyone else's expectations, real or imagined.

What's the best song you've never heard? That is what you should be writing.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Unaspected wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm Two years is a very short period of time.
Amen. That's about how long I spent looking at my setup with one eyebrow raised,head tilted. Then off to feed the birds instead because 'it' just wasn't there. But then the past week or two I'm suddenly working on this and that, having fun and feeling pretty ok about my next track that about 5 or 6 people might listen to,which is fine for a hobbyist.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Ludo7777 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:16 pm Hey guys, I'm a hobbyist enjoying music production. However, I feel sort of lost and don't know what to do. It feels even more terrible because I can't push myself to keep making stuff, and I don't even produce that often. I used to like this but I feel like I'm not improving and the thought of making better music pressures me. It's been 2 years and I still feel so lacking. I keep writing 4 bar loops, go back to listen, think it's bad, and abandon it. I play piano and know music theory; I have samples; I have decent plugins; but for some reason I'm just stuck and don't know what to make. What should I try to do? I do have soundcloud so maybe I'll stick it below if that helps. Thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/prod_cvdence
Not trying to be harsh or suggest something bad. If you feel so counterproductive with music making perhaps it's time to move on to something else no matter what that is. I mean we are speaking about your hobby here right?

Why do you think you need to force yourself into enjoying music making? Where that comes from?

I know this: life is too short to be wasted on something I don't like or not feel right about it.

Good luck

melomood wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:21 am
Amen. That's about how long I spent looking at my setup with one eyebrow raised,head tilted. Then off to feed the birds instead because 'it' just wasn't there. But then the past week or two I'm suddenly working on this and that, having fun and feeling pretty ok about my next track that about 5 or 6 people might listen to,which is fine for a hobbyist.
Yeah. And finding our individual grooves takes as long as it needs to. That ever-elusive comfort zone where things are just right for creativity to flow. Some of us are more fussy than others, of course - and for those they have to really just get stuck in and make mistakes. I have a propensity for this and need to give myself a little push from time to time.

Return to “Production Techniques”