how do you save patches in korg legacy m1 vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AstralExistence wrote:are all the m1 banks found online free and legal? and does it even matter with most companies gone belly up? how do i know which banks are legal and which arent? because, theres a alot of banks online. i would never intentionally use a stolen bank but its hard to know whats legit.
FXB and FXP are open formats. Some may sell the presets but there is no effective way to copyright protect them.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

i know, of course, its about not using a fxb/fxp bank that you didn't pay for out of respect to the author and there hard work. but my question isnt about fxb/fxp it about all the free m1 sysex banks found online. its hard to know which banks are legal, also with the m1 being very old and most of the bank authors if not all of them gone.

one has no idea which banks are ok to use. any m1 users have anything to say about this? tbh, it doesn't really matter since im coming up with better sounds then any of the free banks (imo) but was just curious about this.

I'm bumping instead of starting a new thread, because I'm still confused.

I can't seem to figure out how to save presets. In particular, I'm trying to save a Combi. I'm working on a Mac in Ableton Live 8. Here's what I'm doing:

I Write the combi to an empty slot in a User Card.
I then Save the combi to a folder I created specifically for M1 presets.

Now, whenever I load my saved Combi in another project, it's blank. No name, no programs, nothing.

I've read the manual, I've googled, and I just can't figure it out. Any help?

Sounds like a Mac and/or Ableton issue. As long as the combi is the currently selected combi/patch etc. you should be able to save it simply by selecting File->Save-> 1 Combination. That's how I've always done it (Using Windows XP (PC obviously)). You don't have to save it to a user card first.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

So what's the point of the user cards then? Earlier in this thread, it mentions that you have to both write and save the combi -- is this incorrect? I'm not sure I fully understand the point of "writing".

Any other ideas?

ManaTau80 wrote:So what's the point of the user cards then?
Giving you empty slots, so you dont have to overwrite factory presets.

ManaTau80 wrote:Earlier in this thread, it mentions that you have to both write and save the combi -- is this incorrect?
No, its not incorrect.

ManaTau80 wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand the point of "writing".
You 'write' to keep the preset in the workstations memory for as long as it is running.

You save to disk so you dont lose your data after shutting the workstation down.

(Keep in mind that you are running a software emulation of a hardware workstation here. Since its complete system only exists virtually in your computers RAM, (which is volatile), it is inevitable that all data will be lost as soon as you shut down the process, including anything you have 'written', since you are merely writing into your computers RAM in this case. Hence the need to save any data-to-keep to a non-volatile storage device, in other words your harddrive.)

Got it. So I only have to write the data if I'm loading different presets within the same session? In other words, if I just create a patch and save it, I don't have to worry about writing it?

Could someone list the steps? I still can't save any patches.

Also, how do you save a patch to a user card? If writing a patch doesn't survive a shutdown of the M1, and you can only save to a folder on your HD, then it seems impossible to actually save patches to a user card.

ManaTau80 wrote:I only have to write the data if I'm loading different presets within the same session? In other words, if I just create a patch and save it, I don't have to worry about writing it?
Well, technically you could do that IF you are positive that you wont be switching presets. But its not a very bright idea, since you wont be able to set/adapt instrument type and character then. (Which means you might end up saving a Fat Bass as a Bright Woodwind, (or whatever), which im sure you wouldnt want.)
ManaTau80 wrote:Also, how do you save a patch to a user card?
Just click 'WRITE'. You can write to User cards only. After clicking WRITE just select the bank at the bottom of the window, (USER 1 - USER 4), then doubleclick the slot you want to write the preset to. Thats all.
ManaTau80 wrote:If writing a patch doesn't survive a shutdown of the M1, and you can only save to a folder on your HD, then it seems impossible to actually save patches to a user card.
The User slots survive if you save 'All Data' to disk. (Or as .fxb (Bank) via the hosts preset manager.) If you make All Data default the User slots will be restored automatically upon starting the M1. (See my first post for details on this.) If you save and reload any of the single preset formats (.m1multi, .m1combi, .m1prog) the preset will go to whatever slot is currently active.
ManaTau80 wrote:Could someone list the steps? I still can't save any patches.
Make preset, write to slot, save All Data to disk.

Load All Data from disk to restore.

Make All Data default for auto-restore.

Alternatively:

Save in one of the single formats. (Multi, Combi, Prog.)

Load single format to restore preset into currently active slot.

Alright, I got it working. It seems that saving AllData is the best way, as it allows you to use the User Cards as banks, instead of just having a folder full of individual programs and combis. Thanks for all the help.

Hey guys,

I know this threat is old just but want to share the easiest way to save in M1 for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujL5h6yZfA

I didn´t quite understand the above or read properly, may be the same thing :) but just in case.

All the best!

Save your daw project that's it. I never bothered learning the sytem

yul wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:14 pm Save your daw project that's it. I never bothered learning the sytem
It was stated above, none of your custom patches will be available in a new project.

But this was 8 years ago, I guess they will have fixed the nonsense on v3, right?

Return to “Instruments”