Best 5 inch monitors in 2021

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 pm I can never understand why people say try speakers at your store. Unless the store is the same size and build as the room you intend mixing in, you’ll get different results 🤷‍♂️
Any well recommended speaker, especially coupled with something like Sonarworks which improved my mixing massively, should help you achieve good results and don’t forget even the most basic of room treatment (bass traps) 👍
for once i agree with you - i unblocked you

not a fan of sonarworks, in my case it made things a bit worse, and imo its the best if you limit how much it can boost and leave it mostly to cuts, but its definitely an improvement in suboptimal room scenarios

I'd also recommend self-made room treatment. Really simple to do and there are many You-Tube videos about it.
Start with two panels on the left and right walls where the sound bounces back to your ears and things should already be much more clear. If the room is very resonant, you may add one above hanging from the ceiling and maybe one on the wall behind the speakers - all depending on your situation.
On the back of the room, the best thing for diffusion are large bookshelves with rather irregular content.
It's fun too and can look great if you invest a bit of creative juice :-)
I'd say it's at least as important as the speakers and their position.
Filtering may help, but I don't think it can really solve a resonant room.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

So the hiss problem seems to be mostly user made,this is copy of comment under Eris E5 page at Thomann:
'My advice if your going to purchase the PreSonus E5 is you must get an audio interface with balanced trs to take full advantage of them because i tired an adapter it was xlr to 3.5 aux plugged directly into my pc and i got a lot of static noise the sound was good but the imaging wasn't there due to my mistake of plugging them into my pc with no dac or audio interface but when i got my interface and my balenced trs cables they sound quite amazing for the price and all of that static noise was gone, when i play them they put a smile on my face and yes you can also just use them for listening to tracks like i do just to enjoy the sound! I definitely recommend them.'

Ploki wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:07 pmfor once i agree with you - i unblocked you
Aww fanks; so kind :clown: :hyper:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:16 pm
Ploki wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:07 pmfor once i agree with you - i unblocked you
Aww fanks; so kind :clown: :hyper:
Take a room :)
Think to buy Eris 5,but need to check all options before final decision,215 euro for both speakers seems suspiciously nice as price :)
Any opinion about Presonus as brand?
Cheers :)

I ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal 502 that are on sale on Sweetwater for $74.50 each. Could not resist the price.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-monitor

I have the Reveal 502 and been using them for like 4-5 years. There are things that are really nice about them and some that aren't that really nice.
Pro:
- Really nice stereo image with quite a big sweet spot
- Amazing mids and highs, especially the highs are so smooth and pleasant

Bads:
- When there is nothing playing, there is a hiss that can be annoying for some. It never bothered me.
- Quite sensitive power On/Off. Sometimes you can hear a pocking sound when you turn them off after being turned on for hours. I've noticed it has something to do with the audio cable, if it goes near the power cables. Maybe I need better audio cables.
- They aren't the most linear at the low end and I don't think at this price you can find something that's perfect on that part so Sonarworks can do wonders, at least for me it did. I don't have a treated room, using them on stands, they are kind of close to the corner, but even in the middle of the room I remember had similar results:

If the room is untreated you cant measure bass. Any speaker will look similar in your room, most monitors are far more linear than untreated room FFTs will lead you on

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 pm I can never understand why people say try speakers at your store. Unless the store is the same size and build as the room you intend mixing in, you’ll get different results 🤷‍♂️
Any well recommended speaker, especially coupled with something like Sonarworks which improved my mixing massively, should help you achieve good results and don’t forget even the most basic of room treatment (bass traps) 👍
Note that even in a music store studio setup, there are huge differences in sound between speakers. I did a shootout once and was amazed. This is by design, so I for one would not buy monitors without comparing them this way. And at least in my case, the same sound print replicated well at home.

That said, using Sonarworks is a good suggestion.:tu:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

BTW, if room size or layout is an issue, also look at the iLouds.
Go MuLab!

i can buy Tannoy reveal 502 from Muziker for less than 190 euro,the specs are impressive,but too many good things for less money ...i don't know :)
Eris 5 has huge amount of positive comments and reviews and that's what grab my attention.
Eris 5 vs Reveal 502,did somebody try them both,any opinion?

it doesn't matter. You're either like them or not, how they'll perform more or less depends on your room - either treatment, or look that room modes aren't in the spots that suck for you

For what it's worth, I use the smaller Reveal 402 in my "hi-fi" setup and they've been great. They're hooked up to a turntable and phono preamp - and I get a pleasant sound I can listen to for hours at moderate volumes, with a surprising amount of bass.

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm If the room is untreated you cant measure bass. Any speaker will look similar in your room, most monitors are far more linear than untreated room FFTs will lead you on
Totally agree, I'm 99% sure most of that is the room. What I can say is Sonarworks can help with these kind of issues, it won't be perfect, but it's way better than without. For me at least it's like night and day difference.

So keep that in mind if you'll use them in an untreated room.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm If the room is untreated you cant measure bass. Any speaker will look similar in your room, most monitors are far more linear than untreated room FFTs will lead you on
Totally agree, I'm 99% sure most of that is the room. What I can say is Sonarworks can help with these kind of issues, it won't be perfect, but it's way better than without. For me at least it's like night and day difference.

So keep that in mind if you'll use them in an untreated room.
Not really sure how to interpret these comments, but just to emphasize: when I did my blind shootout of about a dozen studio monitors in the Estrad studio in Stockholm, I was shocked how different the monitors sounded. I'm not talking subtleties here, but really big variation in sound. (Well, considering people have been using the Yamaha NS-10s, perhaps one shouldn't be shocked after all. :wink: ) But I agree, go with Sonarworks (or use small monitors such as the iLouds to keep room acoustics at bay).
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”