I see NI have just started with a subscription offering.....'Komplete Now'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vata44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:44 pm My understanding is we are moving more and more towards a “sharing economy” where you don’t own as many things but everything is rented.
That's a nice way to say "debt slavery" :hihi:
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:42 pm This is the point in these threads where someone says that, and then I ask if anyone can name any developer who first introduced an optional sub, and then later made it sub only. I don't know how many times I've asked it, but to date no-one has ever suggested a name. Even I think there has to be one or two out there, but so far nada.
Why remove the perpetual license option when you can make it absurdly expensive to increase the percieved value of subscriptions (and earn some nice chunks of money from people desperately clinging to perpetual licenses) instead?

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:51 pm From the relevant blog post:

"To state the obvious – we know that subscriptions are not for everyone. It is clear that a lot of our users want to keep buying our products in a way that is familiar to them, and we want to reassure everyone that subscription is just another way to get access. We are not making any changes to the existing ways of purchasing our products, and we are fully committed to investing in our perpetual portfolio. We will continue to keep our products updated to allow for continued use and development."
That's good then. Real shame they never sorted massive's browser. :(

Doesn't mean they won't - work is underway. It's actually a bigger topic than you can imagine.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:05 pm Why remove the perpetual license option when you can make it absurdly expensive to increase the percieved value of subscriptions (and earn some nice chunks of money from people desperately clinging to perpetual licenses) instead?
Ah I see, so no-one has ACTUALLY removed perpetual having introduced subs, but the deal is that developers hike up the perpetual prices having introduced subs.

Next question - who has done this?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

ah, the sky is falling in again.
oh nooooo.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:33 pm To me, personally, it only makes sense to offer different entry points and methods. It's all revenue, be it perpetual licenses or subscriptions or RTO... A company that is focused on growth would be smart to offer as many ways to enter their ecosystem as possible. Just a personal thought.
Exactly.

As I perceive it, this is aimed at beatmakers who are already used to subscriptions like Splice, and just want more instruments they can quickly drop on a track and jam with (Play Series is ideal for that).

I am a bit surprised Maschine (+ expansions) seems not to be part of the package, but it makes sense since the entry point here is probably hardware buyers.

And obviously they will keep on selling Kontakt libraries etc. to soundtrack composers etc.

NI probably know that they serve a range of very different audiences, so don't panic if one of their commercial outlets isn't for you.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:18 pm Doesn't mean they won't - work is underway. It's actually a bigger topic than you can imagine.
So, tell me something interesting then. :D

So the deal is that you give them your credit card details and they give you 3 months free. Their database now has a new paying customer who has not yet paid. Most will probably cancel, but they are pleased to have got something for nothing. NI are pleased because they now have a new paying customer who has not actually yet paid but might in the future. The database manager is pleased because he has new data. Whats not to like?

I have no problem with subscriptions being offered as another option for those who want it, but I generally prefer to buy it the old fashioned way. That said, I could see a scenario where renting for a short period would be beneficial - I have a few sample libraries I own that have been used in exactly one song and never again (e.g., a duduk library for which I paid a LOT just to use in one song many years ago). In hindsight, having the ability to pay $9.99 for a month's use just to complete a song would've been much better than paying $50-100 or more for a sample library that may never get used again and just takes up space on my sample drive. I don't know if we'll ever see that with NI or other developers, but that sounds like a nice option to have.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

the only usefull subscription service imho is from kilohearts bc it offers their best and already worth-proofed products for a great price and even tho you cant use the coupons after 12 month on a sale you at least get something in return. but the monthly fee has at least value in comparison to all of those other subscription models…

vata44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:44 pm My understanding is we are moving more and more towards a “sharing economy” where you don’t own as many things...
The plebs yes, the ruling class not so much, they will increasingly own everything including our DNA and you will eat bug sandwiches and soylent green and be happy. :borg:

Tendou wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:46 pm the only usefull subscription service imho is from kilohearts bc it offers their best and already worth-proofed products for a great price and even tho you cant use the coupons after 12 month on a sale you at least get something in return. but the monthly fee has at least value in comparison to all of those other subscription models…
Yes I think so too

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 pm Ah I see, so no-one has ACTUALLY removed perpetual having introduced subs
I didn't say that.
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 pm but the deal is that developers hike up the perpetual prices having introduced subs.

Reason Studios, and no doubt others.

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:19 pm
machine_spirit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:05 pm Why remove the perpetual license option when you can make it absurdly expensive to increase the percieved value of subscriptions (and earn some nice chunks of money from people desperately clinging to perpetual licenses) instead?
Ah I see, so no-one has ACTUALLY removed perpetual having introduced subs, but the deal is that developers hike up the perpetual prices having introduced subs.

What are you on about? I’ve read a few of your comments that ignore some of the elephants in the room regarding problems with subscriptions.

Adobe: changed to subscription model but offer perpetual licenses of their last bundle, CS6

Avid’s Pro Tools: changed to a subscription, supposed to offered alongside a perpetual license *but* once that perpetual license only covers 1 year of maintenance updates plus penalties if you don’t subscribe before the year is over.

Izotope: subscriptions offered alongside perpetual licenses *but* new feature and updates offered to subscription users before eventually being rolled to perpetual users.

Anyway, I had an exchange with NI and so far they remain adamant that things won’t change for perpetual users and that this is just an additional offer for others.

elxsound wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:57 pm Anyway, I had an exchange with NI and so far they remain adamant that things won’t change for perpetual users and that this is just an additional offer for others.
i certainly hope so

Return to “Instruments”