LVC-Audio: Preamp-MAX and Winter Sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Preamp-MAX released and Winter sale (40%-50% off everything).

-Special discounted upgrade pricing for users of PreAMPed, HotPhuzz, and DDC, DDE, and preamp modules from T-Chain.
Full information about the plugin and upgrade are HERE.

Preamp-MAX is a complete channel strip plugin that specializes in analog modeling and saturation.  It includes a comprehensive preamp modeling engine with 21 distinct preamp models.  Each model features unique characteristics that cover clean preamps, tube-style vintage preamps, console preamps, and tape machines.  As a channel strip plugin, Preamp-MAX is a highly configurable tool for use on a variety of tracks and buses.  With features such as a multipurpose gate/expander, flexible 4-band EQ, a versatile stereo compressor, and separate saturation processor, Preamp-MAX is more than a preamp.

The processing order of Preamp-MAX is customizable and includes:
  • Preamp:  21 separate preamp modules with configurable drive, noise, and channel variability
  • Gate/Expander:  A digital gate/expander with external side chain input, selectable lookahead, and tuned side chain filtering modesEQ:  A 4-band EQ with selectable vintage EQ modes to mimic many different types of EQs
  • Compressor:  A clean stereo compressor with side chain filtering and output mixing for creative parallel compression
  • Phuzz:  LVC-Audio’s Phuzz algorithm for adding multiband saturation with time-dependent response.
  • Tools:  Common tools including LVC-Audio’s output clipping, stereo width, phase, panning, and DC filtering
Preamp-MAX also builds on many standard LVC-Audio features.  This includes a resizable interface; waveform history display; spectrum analyzer view; stereo vectorscope with configurable and recallable color display options; Auto Level control (for auditioning the sound of the plugin without volume changes); undo/redo history; and A/B comparison controls.  Preamp-MAX also includes linear and minimal phase oversampling options.

Happy Holidays,
LVC-Audio

Wow. Congrats! Preamp-max looks great. I do like the sound of your preamp modelling and will pick this up today!

plexuss wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:37 pm Wow. Congrats! Preamp-max looks great. I do like the sound of your preamp modelling and will pick this up today!
Before you buy, check out the upgrade options. You can get it for 25%, 50%, or 75% off. That is above and beyond the sale price.

Can't say no to an LVC channel strip.
Very excited about what you've done with the EQ. Lovely to have the preamps and phuzz in the same kit. I can't say more because there's so much to test here before I can give an opinion. Cheers on this release!
Last edited by jochicago on Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Version 1.0.1 is upload to the website (https://lvcaudio.com/plugins/preamp-max/).

The changes are:
  • fix occasional crash in certain DAWs
  • some CPU improvement with FFT and waveform display
  • fix issue with dropdown menus on certain DAWs (i.e., not being able to select all options)
  • fix preset menu not correctly showing when settings are changed after load
  • add EQ dB scale lines and rescale area based on vertical slider

Another update.
Version 1.0.2 has the following changes:
  • fix plugin missing in ProTools
  • add lowshelf filter in Low section of the EQ
The download links are at https://lvcaudio.com/plugins/preamp-max/

A few quick notes on the gate:
Bug: there's a persistent clicking sound when coming in and out. It's not subtle, it's very strong and makes it unusable for me. Tested in 2 DAWs.

Odd: I'm not sure how to improve this, but when the Auto Level feature is on at the same time as the gate, it's like a room with the AC cooling and a heater on at the same time and fighting it out, it's pure chaos. I was trying to use the gate and getting madness and it took me a moment to figure out why, that the auto level keeps raising the gain after the gate is trying to reduce it. Also, the range default to -24db made it odd when I set the gate to infinite to act as on/off but I'm still hearing the content because the range stops the reduction at 24db.

Perhaps the auto level could ignore the output after the gate, if the gate is turned on.

Preamp models
Is there a list of the models? I understand not wanting to call them out by name in the plugin to respect licenses, but I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning them in the documentation or a blog/forum post.

EQ
Can we extend the range of the high-mid to something lower than 1.5k. The reason is that with an EQ that only has 4 nodes, it's easy to run into limitations. I immediately found myself wanting a second node at 800hz and not able to do it. Perhaps if it goes down to 600hz, although I personally would prefer to see them both be near full range.

Bug - I am not sure I understand "coming in and out." What control are you clicking that causes this to happen.

Odd - that is a total bug with the Auto Level. I will fix it. I can also change the default to more than -24dB.

Preamps - There is a more detailed description in the manual; however, I understand what you are saying about the different models. I'll see if I can find a better way to describe them.

EQ - I have heard similar requests before. I guess I could make them pretty much full-range. That would make it completely flexible.

I think it makes more sense to have a momentary auto-level that will adjust to the average of how long the auto-level button is pressed. It doesn't make sense to me to have auto-level always on, especially on a non-linear audio processor.

Personally agree on the auto-level. I like the option of pressing a button that makes it take a reading and choose a level then stop moving, because otherwise the auto level tool becomes a dynamics processor on its own. However, many tools have it rigged in place, like the SSL comp auto makeup.

The way it is now it basically acts like an auto gain rider. I don't mind keeping that tool since it's already built, but I'm always weary of a dynamics processor I didn't set myself, so I would only use it if being lazy. But a one-time auto level button would get used more often. Not to get precious, but I wouldn't mind if the behavior was modified with like a shift key. So maybe let it be what it is now, but if shift+click then it becomes a single-time rigid level. Just a thought.

Re: bug with the gate
Let me describe in more detail. Once the threshold is set, any time the threshold is crossed the plugin makes a click sound. When the threshold is crossed to start reduction, and when the threshold is crossed again to end reduction, both times I hear a click. So if I set the threshold right on the line of the material level, it's a click fest. Tested on Win10: Studio One and Waveform.

Have the Hot Phuzz and PreAmped models been improved since the last versions? I thought they sounded pretty good, but the "pretty good"sweet spot was tiny and anything beyond it sounded borderline broken IMO. They got out of hand in a similar fashion as to what happens when you drive too much gain through a Chebyshev waveshaper. Only difference being on both of these it happened long before what most would consider too much gain.
I

IMHO, yes. The preamp models have been updated with better compensation for increased gain. Still, this isn't designed to mimic a high-gain amp

You can try the demo and let me know what you think.

Exceptional update. Thank you for the generous upgrade price!

So what is the future of T-Chain and the T-Chain modules? Are they being obsoleted or do you have plans? I mean I love the fully-featured "MAX" concept, but there's still something cool about dedicated plugins for singular pre-amp types too.

By the way, outside of Acustica Audio and a few others, you are one of the only ones modelling subtle Left/Right variances. This plugin giving you a control slider for the variance puts Plugin Alliances "TMT" to shame. THIS is how you do it right.

You're a remarkable and underated developer - you have my support.

I am trying to move all of the functionality of T-Chain into free-standing plugins. The compressors are the biggest piece that remains.

The T-Chain graphics code is a beast. I am fearful of undertaking a revision to that. On Gearspace, someone suggested a Everything-MAX plugin. Something where tabs could be added from Toned-MAX, Clipped-MAX, and Preamp-MAX. This might be possible since the graphics of the MAX plugins is more manageable.

I won't leave people hanging if they are committed to the functionality of the T-Chain modules. I have been making Toned-MAX and Preamp-MAX very cheap upgrades for T-Chain users. I will do the same when I figure out the best way to create a compressor (Pressed-MAX? Comp-MAX?) plugin that includes FETPress, OptoPress, Pressed-T, Limited-T, and the old Pressed-MAX. Not sure if people want a plugin where you can stack compressors, or if there is a better option for including multiple-sounding compressors.

Sorry, I am rambling about a bunch of junk. I am sure you didn't need all of this as an answer; however, any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Tested and purchased. A lot of bang for the $$!

Return to “Effects”