Anyone know what production techniques Power Glove uses?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
User avatar
Synthack
KVRist
395 posts since 4 Dec, 2021

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Not sure where to ask this. I would really like to know how to get that kind of punchy low end in my mixes.

https://soundcloud.com/powerglove/firebird
Do you have them all yet?

User avatar
BertKoor
KVRAF
13327 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:40 pm

Synthack wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm
Not sure where to ask this.
Most production technique discussion are in the Sound Design section.

Firstly know your synth. The basic bass synth sound reminds me of the synth in Rush - Tom Sawyer (google that) which originally was made on an Oberheim OB-X.
Here's a random yt dude recreating that patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0

Then there's layering. Further down the track I definitely hear a real bass guitar playing the same thing, but the base player occasionally slaps as well. Dude can't help himself.

And I hear in this track a lot attention went into tiny little details that can be hard to hear.
So if you want to recreate this, it takes time. A lot of time. And possibly trial & error.

Also I think a crisp sound extending this deep is not possible when mastered to single-digit dB figures. First make it sound really good, worry about loudness later.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

User avatar
andymcbain
KVRian
503 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 am

The right kick sample will certainly get you half way there. Loop a section where the kick is in isolation and A/B reference with your sample library until you find something in the ball park.

User avatar
Saffran
KVRian
672 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 am

Hmm, think i hear a TyrellN6 sound in there.
Its chorus is one of the better ones to get fat sound.

User avatar
Synthack
KVRist

Topic Starter

395 posts since 4 Dec, 2021

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:21 pm

BertKoor wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Synthack wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm
Not sure where to ask this.
Most production technique discussion are in the Sound Design section.

Firstly know your synth. The basic bass synth sound reminds me of the synth in Rush - Tom Sawyer (google that) which originally was made on an Oberheim OB-X.
Here's a random yt dude recreating that patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0

Then there's layering. Further down the track I definitely hear a real bass guitar playing the same thing, but the base player occasionally slaps as well. Dude can't help himself.

And I hear in this track a lot attention went into tiny little details that can be hard to hear.
So if you want to recreate this, it takes time. A lot of time. And possibly trial & error.

Also I think a crisp sound extending this deep is not possible when mastered to single-digit dB figures. First make it sound really good, worry about loudness later.
Yah this is good insight into this. Thanks.

Had a few listens and decided to take a few guesses myself.

That first synth sound, sounds like it could be Oberheim run into some kind of saturator.

The main riff is also layered with an electronic guitar. That huge bass sound at 2:00 sounds pretty awesome, almost like the Hive2 starting preset with the filter cutoff lowered.

The main synth riff (Starts at 0:25) sounds like it was run through a talkbox similar to what DaftPunk have done.

For the sampled vocal stuff I think they are using something like Tal-sampler or something. It sounds like it could be a 8bit + low samplerate to get that super lowfi gritty sound. Might even be 4bit?

As for the drums I kind of wonder if they are using that same technique where they run it into a reverb and then gate it.

Yah there is definitely a lot of layering in this as well.

andymcbain wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 am
The right kick sample will certainly get you half way there. Loop a section where the kick is in isolation and A/B reference with your sample library until you find something in the ball park.
I don't think it's just the kick.

Definitely a good start though!
Saffran wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 am
Hmm, think i hear a TyrellN6 sound in there.
Its chorus is one of the better ones to get fat sound.

Hmm I wouldn't really know how to tell a synth just by it's chorus. I think Tyrell was inspired by the Junos wasn't it?
Do you have them all yet?

User avatar
andymcbain
KVRian
503 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:49 am

Synthack wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:21 pm

I don't think it's just the kick.

Definitely a good start though!
Indeed, and I didn't say it was just the kick :) But if we're talking punchy low end, the right kick is vital, especially in a track like this where you have many overlapping elements. The kick needs to be the foundation that reinforces the bass line(s) :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”