One Synth Challenge #154: Triple Cheese by u-he (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Yadrichik_Chaya
KVRist
71 posts since 5 Oct, 2021

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:08 pm

A little off topic but in the sphere of comb filters/physical modeling/IRs:

Actually I think a portable groovebox style hardware sequencer - yes hardware - like something from Elektron or the Deluge that is capable of doing polyrhythms and micro tunings but based on Comb Filters just like the Triple Cheese + Impulse Responses and also Physical Modeling would be the coolest thing ever! :)

I see now that u-he are somewhat the kings of doing analogue synths in the DAW domain. Behringer push out analogue clone after analogue clone. Even the company Boss released the SY-1000 for guitar/bass with synth like sounds.

Maybe the market will eventually get saturated from all of this? It is like it is only about the 1980s sound. And when it comes to new effects it is all about Lo-Fi. ;)

So the 1980s Lo-Fi thing might just be a current trend?

I'm not saying u-he are following any trends when it comes to analogue, looks like they've been at it for a long time.

Don't get me wrong I really love the stuff that I mentioned above but when I contacted Roland/Boss it turns out Roland have already implemented physical modeling in their new pianos and maybe 3-4 years from now guitarists and bass players (+ violinists and everyone else who is into 13-pin stuff) will have a successor to the Boss SY-1000 - but this time based on physical modeling. :)

Currently when it comes to DAWs Expressive E and AAS just released Imagine (haven't tried it) and AAS has some really cool things when it comes to physical modeling ”World Music Sounds” mainly Masala & Masala 2. Pianoteq also does great non-piano sounds, Audiomodeling is apparently working on doing a physical modeling world ethnic instruments plugin(!).

I just cross my fingers that the market in a few years will instead be flooded with really advanced Comb Filter/Physical Modeling hybrid synths/sequencers/grooveboxes/VSTs etc. that also make use of Impulse Responses. Just the way analogue/lo-fi is dominating right now. New physical modeling stuff all the time… ;)

Synths that allow one to tweak really realistic but unheard of instruments: like combining the elements from a flute, oud, kora harp and vibraphone + upright bass - in one patch. :p

Or having a really realistic Sumerian Silver Lyre to play with:

LOVE the sound! - If someone could recreate this or atleast make a several gigabytes multisample library of the Sumerian Silver Lyre I would buy it in an instant - coolest sound ever. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4QRxsZhjg&t=8s

Mutable Instruments Rings based on physical modeling was the only thing used in this song by R Beny - The Sea's Sullen Green

(The song starts at 15:31 in the video below so skip to 15:31 to hear this amazing song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poumXZYEqeE&t=931s

I'm really excited to soon try out VCV Rack 2 and play with Rings physical modeling sounds. :) (Haven't even tried the first version)

So this is what I predict or atleast hope will happen after all the current analogue synths and lo-fi effects.

But who knows which company will make that ”game changing” all in one comb filter/IR/physical modeling synth?

Anyhow thanks u-he for making Triple Cheese, really love it! :)

(Sorry for this long post) :hug:
Bad people Attack & then Decay :smack: Good people Sustain & then Release :hug: Neutral people Hold & then Delay. :drunk:Image

IV!
KVRist
394 posts since 31 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:08 pm
A little off topic but in the sphere of comb filters/physical modeling
You've raised an interesting topic! I hope no one will be offended if dedicate a half page to it) Except for the dispute about the effects (regular/ endless) at this time of the month, it's quiet here! :hihi:

A hardware portable physmod based groovebox - sounds crazy cool to me! But even if you buy it, I'll break my piggy bank (which I don't have) and a few more people, I'm afraid it won't pay for development and production. Although... have you searched for such things on kickstarter? This is the most likely place where something like this could be.

Of course, some have touched on physmod as such, such as Alesis Fusion, KORG Z1 or the amazing Yamaha VL-1! But yes, it's not trending right now. 80-90 set the trend for unprecedented electronic sounds, but they gave too much and left too quickly, so now we are all covered by the second wave of retro sounds, and for fans of acoustic sounds there is, well... acoustic instruments. :shrug: The end of the last century separated acoustic and electronic sound, directing them in different ways, and physmod remained at a crossroads...

Therefore, now having wonderful virtual phyzmod instruments (including free ones) - is a very good option for us! And computers with DAW are available to everyone. In fact, I believe that restrictions stimulate creativity, but this is a topic for a separate discussion) I would rather have someone make the most convenient and fully functional hardware synth to load their VST and VSTi into it - a kind of hardware DAW with their processor. Maybe that would be the only thing I need for music (other than live instruments, of course).

But effects based on physical principles that can revive slightly aged Sub, Add, FM synthesizers look promising!

By the way, the idea of combining a phyzmod generator and an IR convolver as a resonator is very interesting and can potentially fire like linear arithmetic synthesis in due time, so patent the idea as soon as possible! :lol: :tu: In general, this looks like a real direction of development in the future. Not everything can be done with saws and sins (although not in OSC!) and not everyone already wants to.

Imho, the sound of the Sumerian harp is not for everyone, I hope that the author just did not take into account all the nuances and in fact it is able to enter you into a meditative state in a few minutes! Although I really like the idea of marking overtones on strings, and the style of playing with 2:11 too! But this way I like Russian gusli and dulcimers more, as well as classical harps! :harp:

IV!
KVRist

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Addition: now 'z in Discord mentioned the Expressive-E Osmose tool, and you should see it! :o

Yadrichik_Chaya
KVRist

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:04 pm

IV! wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:41 pm
Addition: now 'z in Discord mentioned the Expressive-E Osmose tool, and you should see it! :o
I will join the Discord soon! :)

It is exactly because of the Expressive E Osmose, (many professionals in the music industry already seem to endorse it), that these type of sounds will most likely be heard on many future famous albums, movie soundtracks, video games and commercials.

And that is exactly why the craze for physical modeling will eventually begin. :tu:

So 3-4 years from now we will be flooded with things due to these type of sounds being, like I already mentioned: in movies, commercials, video games and on many albums! :violin: :clap:
Bad people Attack & then Decay :smack: Good people Sustain & then Release :hug: Neutral people Hold & then Delay. :drunk:Image

IV!
KVRist

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:04 pm
It is exactly because of the Expressive E Osmose, (many professionals in the music industry already seem to endorse it), that these type of sounds will most likely be heard on many future famous albums, movie soundtracks, video games and commercials.
Well, a multiprincipled sound engine with "infinite possibilities" can hardly be wear out in as quickly as a hundred KORG M1 presets! :wink: You find else more, what deeper you dive... but most, as always, will flounder on the shallow with ready-made presets! :hihi: With one caveat - actually Osmose does not look like a synthesizer for most, although the price seems to be normal, right?.. (for me, it's about like a salary for half a year, I can't judge :shrug: )

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
6539 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:20 pm

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote:
But who knows which company will make that ”game changing” all in one comb filter/IR/physical modeling synth?
You didn’t come across Plasmonic? Also Chromaphone falls into that category, its just a bit too CPU demanding, but within two years that won’t be an issue anymore…

IV!
KVRist

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:05 am

Also Sampleson has interesting experiments of mixed acoustic instruments.
Also instruments from Nusofting, with some of them were OSC, there is something to listen to! :phones:
Also, do not pass by the beautiful Strum from VSTZone! :tu:
Also some gems from the old Ugo and Krakli instruments if you are not confused by Win/32bit.
Also recommend Triple Cheese from U-He - an amazing phyzmod instrument with several models of generators and resonators! :wink:

Yadrichik_Chaya
KVRist

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:26 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:20 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote:
You didn’t come across Plasmonic? Also Chromaphone falls into that category, its just a bit too CPU demanding, but within two years that won’t be an issue anymore…
Actually as a new member here on KVR it was for the very first time here on the forum that I heard of Plasmonic and members posting great demos in the thread, I should really check it out more - I see that the sale is extended to the 31st :tu:

Is Plasmonic as cpu demanding as Chromaphone?

*heading over to the Plasmonic thread :)

Yadrichik_Chaya
KVRist

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:27 am

IV! wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:05 am
Also Sampleson has interesting experiments of mixed acoustic instruments.
Also instruments from Nusofting, with some of them were OSC, there is something to listen to! :phones:
Also, do not pass by the beautiful Strum from VSTZone! :tu:
Also some gems from the old Ugo and Krakli instruments if you are not confused by Win/32bit.
Also recommend Triple Cheese from U-He - an amazing phyzmod instrument with several models of generators and resonators! :wink:
I will check out these VSTs :) Thank you!

Eauson
KVRian
1213 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:01 am

Nvm
Last edited by Eauson on Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

] Peter:H [
KVRian
1453 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:24 am

- 🅢🅤🅑🅜🅘🅢🅢🅘🅞🅝 -
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/gafy

24 Cheeses, Bitwig on board FX (Delay, Reverb, EQ, Peak Limiter, Multiband, Compressor, Dynamics, Tool), Meldaproduction MCompressor, Infected Mushroom Wider, Valhalla Supermassive.

---
BTW: It's fun to see that "off topic" is okay ... as long as it's the right off topic. I recall there were some people reminding other people to stay on topic elsewhere...

Hanz Meyzer
KVRAF
1895 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Damn it, how do I make a proper kick here? Using renoise LFO now, but only getting goa kicks :lol:

Eauson
KVRian
1213 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Hanz Meyzer wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:33 pm
Damn it, how do I make a proper kick here? Using renoise LFO now, but only getting goa kicks :lol:
I made mine using 3 plucksquare, no tone or damp & quite high tuning ? I think there were some presets of kiks, although I always roll my own :)
I can give u a better idea of what I did if you are interested :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

briefcasemanx
KVRian
1043 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:12 am

I'm having big trouble getting percussion out of this thing. I have pretty good orchestral sounds, but I'm having to use like up to 10 different layers for one sound. Are IR's allowed? I think I could probably get some percussion using an IR.

FrogsInPants
KVRist
225 posts since 4 Nov, 2019

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:38 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:12 am
I'm having big trouble getting percussion out of this thing. I have pretty good orchestral sounds, but I'm having to use like up to 10 different layers for one sound. Are IR's allowed? I think I could probably get some percussion using an IR.
Once again, I'll say that if it forms a fundamental part of the sound design that the sound doesn't work without, IMO it probably runs afoul of the rule against making the sound unrecognizable. In the case of IRs, it could also be considered the use of sampling, especially if you're using it to get the sound of the IR itself from an impulse. Depending on the IR, it might effectively be a pitched delay. That said, maybe it's considered acceptable if it's used for reverb or used in moderation to color the sound. I'm not sure there's a consensus on the use of IRs in OSC.

Which reminds me, I meant to bring this up in regards to:
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:52 am
I managed to create some cool percussion things like tambourines & shakers etc. The snare I made fits the song but it is really the solo violin that I love the most! I'm pretty sure you guys can create much better sounding violins than I ever can. I used Ignite NadIR and these free Violin Impulse Responses:
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/IMP-RESP/Violins/
I enjoyed this piece, and thought the sounds were good, but I do question the use of those IRs.

Return to “Instruments”