Arturia V Collection 8.2 Up - M1, Faster, Better GUIs etc

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WasteLand wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm
it is hasn't really been abandoned, well the last update was from 2018.... i have Spark 2, still use it, even got the old CDM, great drumcomputer, have used it a lot, a lot. last year or more less, mainly, didn't use drums, or not in that way...
Do you have the issue with the CDM’s large jog wheel not correctly controlling the project/kit selection in the Spark 2 software?

Mine sort of works, but as you scroll down the list of projects/kits you find that it jumps around erratically or gets stuck, forcing you to go to the software to make selections. This makes the CDM sort of impractical for live use if you’re trying to limit screen interaction.

SHall1000 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm Having so much stuff in V8 and FX2 seems really cool until you have to update everything. Takes hours. Think I will uninstall the stuff I don’t use.
I'm not sure if you already knew this, but you can update each of the plugins separately if needed.

Examigan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:33 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm Having so much stuff in V8 and FX2 seems really cool until you have to update everything. Takes hours. Think I will uninstall the stuff I don’t use.
I'm not sure if you already knew this, but you can update each of the plugins separately if needed.
Thanks for the prompt but that is what I’ve been doing, which is why it takes so long. I can’t figure how to set the default install settings and paths for a silent install. Previous attempts have left a right mess.
But my point is that the long process has made me realise I don’t use most of it so I’m not sure it needs to sit on my hard drive anyway.

billybuck wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm
it is hasn't really been abandoned, well the last update was from 2018.... i have Spark 2, still use it, even got the old CDM, great drumcomputer, have used it a lot, a lot. last year or more less, mainly, didn't use drums, or not in that way...
Do you have the issue with the CDM’s large jog wheel not correctly controlling the project/kit selection in the Spark 2 software?

Mine sort of works, but as you scroll down the list of projects/kits you find that it jumps around erratically or gets stuck, forcing you to go to the software to make selections. This makes the CDM sort of impractical for live use if you’re trying to limit screen interaction.
don't have issues with the large jog wheel. can be that is dirty, which can be a problem with endless encoders.
but i can navigate through the projects/kits, and even 'select tag', etc. so navigating is no problem.

standalone or as a plugin, must not really matter, if it is only the large scroll wheel.

Spark 2, latest version, on windows 10.

WasteLand wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm it is hasn't really been abandoned, well the last update was from 2018.... i have Spark 2, still use it, even got the old CDM, great drumcomputer, have used it a lot, a lot. last year or more less, mainly, didn't use drums, or not in that way...

that update 2018 was 'big' news, for me, for instance, it introduced some other bugs, i don't really encounter, only graphical glitches.. they are known...

indeed, not restricted to 4/4. and modelling!! modular modelling!

and opinions, differ, but i really like the sound of Spark, and also for making own Drum Sets.

i wanted to check the date and found this;

https://www.arturia.com/products/spark/resources

a new version for MAC, with the strange 'Apple M1 activation support', will mean Rosetta??
(i am not mac user, so don't know).

but i agree fully, i find that Spark still works great, well on windows..., and with the CDM, i don't mind the small GUI.

it is strange that is a bit left behind.
you can still buy it, so... and even the sparkLE controller?

i hope a M1 native will appear, and perhaps even a new version (that doesn't break my CDM....), i still fire it up for making some beats, and drums are getting back, so Spark 2 will be back...

underrated, a pity, also by Arturia..
So yeah, it was done correctly all those years ago, and still works on Windows and x86 macs, but the official Arturia forum, Spark moderator flatly stated that Spark was deprecated, just not with an official statement, which frankly never happens with software unless the whole company is going down. Plus let's be realistic, three plus years with only two maintenance updates is a death knell for software generally.

The only possible glimmer here is the new M1 Rosetta update they did after about three years of not touching the software at all, which makes one hope they're thinking of reviving it. It would be nice to see a rewrite of the sequencer, it's not that great, I've always just drag and dropped patterns to the DAW since actually finishing something in Spark was like a dentist visit.

Still it does what it says on the box, and I've been afraid to use it because of M1 etc. but this is great, Spark is going back in as a main choice in DP11 etc. as a drum machine. :)

Is there a way to figure out which presets are additional ones that this update has added?

machinesworking wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:33 pm The only possible glimmer here is the new M1 Rosetta update they did...
Actually, the plug-ins are M1 Native, no Rosetta 2 required.
The application that required Rosetta 2 is the Installer. Yes, they should have updated the Installer to be Native but they didn't.

I installed all the plug-ins by hand on my MacMini M1. It's working without Rosetta 2.

I've been talking with support, hopefully they watched my video I posted.
Fruity Loops has no issue with the VST, VST3 and AU, but Logic thinks the plug-ins aren't active, but when I start the License Manager and select Active License, after a couple of seconds that Active License login window goes away and the plug-in I tried to load is active.

ValliSoftware wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:33 pm The only possible glimmer here is the new M1 Rosetta update they did...
Actually, the plug-ins are M1 Native, no Rosetta 2 required.
The application that required Rosetta 2 is the Installer. Yes, they should have updated the Installer to be Native but they didn't.

I installed all the plug-ins by hand on my MacMini M1. It's working without Rosetta 2.

I've been talking with support, hopefully they watched my video I posted.
Fruity Loops has no issue with the VST, VST3 and AU, but Logic thinks the plug-ins aren't active, but when I start the License Manager and select Active License, after a couple of seconds that Active License login window goes away and the plug-in I tried to load is active.
You're missing the plot here, we're talking about Spark 2, not V Collection 8 or Pigments.

It's unofficially deprecated, but a recent update allows for Rosetta 2 compatibility with M1 Macs.

If they did an update its not "unofficially deprecated". It works but they've got other fish to fry thats more important to them. Spark probably didnt make them any money.

"just not with an official statement, which frankly never happens with software unless the whole company is going down"

Except of course that's not true at all.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:43 am If they did an update its not "unofficially deprecated". It works but they've got other fish to fry thats more important to them. Spark probably didnt make them any money.

"just not with an official statement, which frankly never happens with software unless the whole company is going down"

Geez, looking for an internet battle or what?? I've owned Spark for years, you can go to the Arturia forums and read flat statements from the Spark 2 forum mods stating what I said directly, no developers or other Arturia representatives chime in to contradict what is said.

This new update is another maintenance update for Rosetta only, The last update was Jun-2018, and was also just a bugfix update, it had been years at that time since the last real update with any new features at all.

I would love to be wrong about this but Spark has not been actively developed for about 5 years now, two maintenance updates, and that's it.

There are multiple threads like this there, and they're all really really old. I think Arturia are a great company for keeping it working in modern OS's but it's IMO definitely not actively developed, it's limping along because Artiuria have some respect for us as end users.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84144.75

machinesworking wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:29 am
rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:43 am If they did an update its not "unofficially deprecated". It works but they've got other fish to fry thats more important to them. Spark probably didnt make them any money.

Geez, looking for an internet battle or what?? I've owned Spark for years, you can go to the Arturia forums and read flat statements from the Spark 2 forum mods stating what I said directly, no developers or other Arturia representatives chime in to contradict what is said.

This new update is another maintenance update for Rosetta only, The last update was Jun-2018, and was also just a bugfix update, it had been years at that time since the last real update with any new features at all.

I would love to be wrong about this but Spark has not been actively developed for about 5 years now, two maintenance updates, and that's it.

There are multiple threads like this there, and they're all really really old. I think Arturia are a great company for keeping it working in modern OS's but it's IMO definitely not actively developed, it's limping along because Artiuria have some respect for us as end users.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84144.75
Looking for an internet battle over what? Your inaccurate statements about how no companies officially announce deprecated/discontinued software products unless they're going out of business? That would be a waste of my time because it's nonsense.

I get that Spark hasn't been actively developed for years, I own it and a Spark LE. That tells me its about the absolute lowest priority they have (ie: it never made them enough money). Clearly their priority is hardware and the soft synths, not drum machines. They still made sure its working which means $$ were spent on a budget somewhere.

"you can go to the Arturia forums and read flat statements from the Spark 2 forum mods stating what I said directly, no developers or other Arturia representatives chime in to contradict what is said"

What is said in forums doesn't mean shit. Does the Spark 2 forum mod run the project? Not likely. Arturia would be stupid to put anything "in writing" in a forum like that.

Jup-8V was stagnant for damned near ever outside of maintenance updates and it got a major update. So if the project isn't dead maybe it will also get a facelift someday.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:16 pm
Looking for an internet battle over what? Your inaccurate statements about how no companies officially announce deprecated/discontinued software products unless they're going out of business? That would be a waste of my time because it's nonsense.
You need a hug? here. :hug:
Almost every deprecated plug in I've owned has followed the exact same path we see with Spark, I'm not sure what's controversial about acknowledging that? but again you're attitude here is already terrible so...
I get that Spark hasn't been actively developed for years, I own it and a Spark LE. That tells me its about the absolute lowest priority they have (ie: it never made them enough money). Clearly their priority is hardware and the soft synths, not drum machines. They still made sure its working which means $$ were spent on a budget somewhere.
yep all signs point to it being an end of life product.
"you can go to the Arturia forums and read flat statements from the Spark 2 forum mods stating what I said directly, no developers or other Arturia representatives chime in to contradict what is said"

What is said in forums doesn't mean shit. Does the Spark 2 forum mod run the project? Not likely. Arturia would be stupid to put anything "in writing" in a forum like that.
So now you're contradicting yourself. So they will not officially mention that Spark 2 is end of life, it would be stupid of them to, but me saying that this is typical is stupid too, got it.
Jup-8V was stagnant for damned near ever outside of maintenance updates and it got a major update. So if the project isn't dead maybe it will also get a facelift someday.
I hope you're right about this but 5 years with nothing but maintenance updates for software attached to hardware is far too long, and again, people closer to the source than me or you have mentioned that it looks like it's end of life. No one said that about Jup-8V3, it's been maintained with new browsers, GUI upgrades, plug in formats, and more long before it got an upgrade. In your own example Jup-8v3 has received the new browser upgrade, Spark 2 has not. :shrug:

SHall1000 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:12 pm
Examigan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:33 pm
Thanks for the prompt but that is what I’ve been doing, which is why it takes so long. I can’t figure how to set the default install settings and paths for a silent install. Previous attempts have left a right mess.
But my point is that the long process has made me realise I don’t use most of it so I’m not sure it needs to sit on my hard drive anyway.
I also install one by one. Yes, it takes hours but you don't have to actively monitor the installation. I just start up an installer, select the components I need and continue with whatever else I was doing.

For all of us that like Spark. Better than nothing I suppose.
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?top ... rdseen#new

Return to “Instruments”