Vice - Feature Requests

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vice

Is there a reason why you have to go back and reselect the grid option after manually changing the tempo to get the slices to update? It sets like a manual update to the tempo should automatically update the grid at the same time.

Also, when I type in a decimal value in the tempo box, it rounds it to the nearest whole number. I then have to shift + drag to get the decimal value that I wanted. Why allow the user to enter a decimal value just to round it off.

These small tweaks would save time and improve my workflow.

Qforce wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:10 am Looping per slice would be a great addition.
This is coming in a future update (already implemented and in test)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Qforce wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:21 am Is there a reason why you have to go back and reselect the grid option after manually changing the tempo to get the slices to update? It sets like a manual update to the tempo should automatically update the grid at the same time.
Well you could have edited the slices. But having thought about it I have decided this makes sense, if the slices have not been edited (no asterix). It was a small thing so I implemented it just now, will be in the next release.
Qforce wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:21 am Also, when I type in a decimal value in the tempo box, it rounds it to the nearest whole number. I then have to shift + drag to get the decimal value that I wanted. Why allow the user to enter a decimal value just to round it off.
That was a bug, thanks for reporting it. I have just fixed it. In the meantime a workaround is if you press shift while hitting enter it will preserve the decimal.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Qforce wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 pm more slices
You are aware you can freely add slices, right? This is an essential feature of course.

If not, please watch this video:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/460791952
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thanks for the responses James and the feature additions sound great (especially looping)!

I tried the tempo decimal work-a-round and it will help me until the new version comes out. I appreciate your help with this.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the more slices. When I posted this, I was talking about a default of more than 32 slices in Split mode (because I am working with longer audio files).

I am actually using Grid mode much more at this point. I find it works better for a lot of the longer files that I am slicing. One thing I have to do currently is divide the tempo by 1/2 or 1/4 to get longer slices. The Grid 1/4 setting makes the slices too short for me in most cases when I leave it at the original tempo. That was the reason for me asking for longer beat increments like 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8 beats. That would allow more flexibility for the slice length without having to alter the tempo setting.

I'm also having the same issues as Quinn. I agree with larger slicing divisions whilst in grid mode. More slicing divisions,would be a very welcomed addition. So glad to hear the good news about the updates coming !
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:29 am Also..
5. Ability to LOCK Parameters such as Cutoff/Res for all incoming audio eg: drag n drop new audio does not effect parameters.
The 'Preserve Settings' option kind of does this btw.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

thanks for the reply James, and I personally appreciate you creating VICE as it's easily my favorite software now for chopping samples.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

terminus_one wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:40 pm REX / RX2 support
Please, please PLEASE! ReasonStudios = too stupid (or lazy) to turn Recycle into a VST/plugin. Hopefully, you'll take into consideration, there's a huge market (still) for samplers working with this format.

newsonicarts wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:28 am REX support is currently in development (as well as Stylus RMX import)

Acidized WAV is already supported automatically (Vice uses the embedded tempo info rather than estimating it as with normal WAVs)
Please don't forget the Recycle Stretch feature, which is actually (or it sounds like) a little echo/reverb added at the tail end of the slice. This made the slice ending sound natural vs abrupt. If you need a video of how this sounds please, let me know

Polyphony control would be nice. You have a choke group setting but it would be nice to be able to set the polyphony for the whole unit that all slices obey.

Vice 2 is now at the final stage before release. There will be an upgrade path for all version 1 users.
Also any purchases of Vice 1 as of today will receive Vice 2 for free and there will be a retroactive grace period- I don't have the cut off point yet, standby for that.
So here is a list of new features for Vice 2:

REX import (including REX slice api when exporting slices)
Phrase (Play Through) play mode
Play mode 'Slice Shift' (groove adjustment)
Slice Unlink option (independent length)
Slice Looping
Individual MIDI key-assignment per Slice
Import Stylus RMX Banks
Pitch inc buttons (use +/- keys)
MP3 support
My Samples & My Presets tag-based database views
Additional LFO and Mod Env per slice
Drag-drop modulation assignment
Additional FX modes
Aux sends

I was just trying the demo and comparing to other slicers. For fast workflow and good results, I like Vice best of the ones I tried so far (Kontakt, Maschine, Initial Slice, Momentum, HY). The snap to zero crossings and auto fade at end of slice (to avoid clicks) is so helpful! My main use would be for live performance and it's great that it has low cpu usage! I was thinking to make it even better for live use, perhaps these features could be considered:

- Capture an arbitrary or beat synced length of live input and auto slice that input to transients or according to beats.
- Global (all slices) pitchbend response.
- Global transpose set by midi notes (from a different range than the slices of course).
- The notes of the global transposition could also be set microtonally via MTS-ESP https://oddsound.com/devs.php (U-he ColourCopy does this) or loading .tun files.

I wouldn't mind (and may often prefer) if the transpose does the normal result of changing the speed of the slice playback, although it is nice how Initial Slice has a function to retain the speed when changing pitch (of course at some cost of cpu).

Thanks for your great work!

Return to “New Sonic Arts”