'license transition' ... ??? end-user experience.

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Installing my audio production softwares onto a fresh install on a new laptop, returning from a production hiatus.

goody, can't wait to install my expert sleepers plugins.

visit expert sleepers download page for up-to-date installers.

but wait, what's this ? they're protected by ilok now ?

OK, no sweat, I have an ilok.

but wait, what's this ? I can't access the up-to-date installers unless I re-purchase the licenses ?

OK, phew, there's some 'license transition' page where I can convert my existing licenses to ilok activations.

but wait, what's this ? I need to pay an administration charge, per plugin ?

OK, whatever, says here it's about 5% per plugin ... I never expected I'd be charged for the privilege of migrating my license to a more restrictive system, but whatever. let's just get it over with.

but wait, what's this ? the 5% administration 'offer' is only available until July 2020 ?

:dog:

I contacted Expert Sleepers about the USAMO when I migrated to a new system and they told me to just install Ilok and not to worry, the software plugin that drove it did not need any code just that Ilok be present. I was quite confused about it. USAMO is the only Expert Sleepers product I have though, so I don't know if this applies to you. I can confirm that the software installed on a computer rebuild after a hard drive crash and it is working on a new installation here as well. So for me, no problems and no fees.

Scotty wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:01 pm I was quite confused about it.
I can see that. You've also misunderstood the point of the post. I'm talking about Expert Sleepers migrating to a new licensing management system. This only became apparent to me now that I'm re-installing the plugins on a new machine, but setting up on a new machine is not the issue - it just happens to be the context in which I experienced a kind of cascade of pies to the face upon visiting the Expert Sleepers downloads page.

From your personal anecdote it is clear that your license is already part of the new/current license management system.

I stand corrected. I'll refrain from responding to your posts in the future. Good luck with it.

Scotty wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:27 am I'll refrain from responding to your posts in the future.
:hihi:

sorry mate if I was short with you. I appreciate the time you took to tell me about your experience, in the hopes it would be helpful :tu:

ES made posts everywhere and sent out multiple emails about the transitions. it was a couple years ago that the transition was made and there was plenty of time to take care of it.

i'm sure if you email him he'll help you get sorted. may be away for holidays or something though.

i saw posts here, modwiggler (was still called muffwiggler then), and on twitter and instagram also i think.. as well as got 3 or more emails from him as the deadline approached.

the old system was deprecated by the company that created it so he had no choice but to do something else. there was a really long window of time to do it.. sounds like you somehow missed all those attempts to be informed. honestly, i wish i was less connected to the internet etc.. might get more done!

edit: just adding this link which maybe you've seen already.

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/licensing_transition.html

"ES made posts everywhere and sent out multiple emails about the transitions. it was a couple years ago that the transition was made and there was plenty of time to take care of it."

I don't know about 'making posts everywhere', since I don't typically hang around social media, nor should I be obliged to as a licensee, but as for multiple emails ... According to my records, only one was sent to my email address. If I received 3 emails like you did, particularly right up to the fairly arbitrary 'deadline', I'd likely not find myself in this situation. For the record, I delete my spam folder manually and check its contents before doing so.

It's also funny to me that if you haven't had the need to update your plugins in a while (which for old plugins like these can easily happen) you are met with this series of pies to the face, each one bigger than the previous. As a user experience it's pretty comical.

Ultimately I can stomach pretty much all aspects of the situation, other than the arbitrary deadline for the 'offer' of paying the administration fee to convert your license to the new system.

Gimme a break. You're already moving to a system which is going to cost me $25 to transfer a license, you want to charge me for this, and you're taking that 'offer' off the table when it suits you ?

Alrighty then.

:clown:

The time limit was something imposed by PACE. In fact, if you go through the process described on the transition page, it will still work (at time of writing).

ChiTown24 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 am "ES made posts everywhere and sent out multiple emails about the transitions. it was a couple years ago that the transition was made and there was plenty of time to take care of it."

I don't know about 'making posts everywhere', since I don't typically hang around social media, nor should I be obliged to as a licensee, but as for multiple emails ... According to my records, only one was sent to my email address. If I received 3 emails like you did, particularly right up to the fairly arbitrary 'deadline', I'd likely not find myself in this situation. For the record, I delete my spam folder manually and check its contents before doing so.
wasn't saying you should be obliged to hang out on social media just signifying that he did make efforts on multiple channels (forums/social media/email) to let people know they needed to take action to transfer the licenses.

anyways.. per his post it seems like he can help you get things worked out so your stuff works as it should with your new install.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”