DrumComputer VST from Sugar Bytes - out now, EUR119!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumComputer

BRoySound wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 pm Embrays Designs - 500+ Velocity Sensitive Drum (Engine Presets) for Sugar Bytes DrumComputer up at www.gumroad.com/embrays
I recently purchased Embrays Designs' DrumComputer preset pack and have been having a lot of fun playing with it. The various ways in which it maps velocity sensitivity have helped me to further realize the possibilities and expressiveness of this great plugin.

bboxdw wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:39 pm
BRoySound wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 pm Embrays Designs - 500+ Velocity Sensitive Drum (Engine Presets) for Sugar Bytes DrumComputer up at www.gumroad.com/embrays
I recently purchased Embrays Designs' DrumComputer preset pack and have been having a lot of fun playing with it. The various ways in which it maps velocity sensitivity have helped me to further realize the possibilities and expressiveness of this great plugin.
Thank You for Recommending this Pack Dave,

I was limited to the Factory Samples, as there was only the Resynth Algo then but proper Sample Import had not yet implemented during the early release, but tweaked and modulated every parameters available for the Velocity strikes to work like a Natural Drum strike would and the results came out really good.

Curious to go back again to DrumComputer and do a fresh bunch of presets with the Sample Import now Active combined with the other Engines and Parameters.
Will post some Update Presets.
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

All i can say is that i wanted to like drum comuter. I have tried hard, but i couldnt. The drum synth of this plugin cant make a solid kick. Every time you trigger a sound it is reproduced in a different way. this is cool for certain aplications, but it wont work for my kind of electronics. Oscilattor reset at each note on would be interesting to have. the new sample engine kind of fixes this, since you can use samples to do kicks, but i wont buy a drum synth that cant do a solid kick with it synthesis engine.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

i wanted to like all the Sugar Bytes stuff, but none of it remains in my plugin folder.

sqigls wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:37 am i wanted to like all the Sugar Bytes stuff, but none of it remains in my plugin folder.
ikr?
and i really can't say anything bad about them or any of their stuff either.

Personally I love the fact that DrumComputer sounds different...We need more leftfield drum machines and personally I am pretty bored with the generic kick drum sound everyone produces nowadays, I prefer more experimental drum and rhythmic sounds (but then I use DFAM and Blck_Noir with a modular, so I am probably not the typical drum VST user!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BRoySound wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:09 pm

I was limited to the Factory Samples, as there was only the Resynth Algo then but proper Sample Import had not yet implemented during the early release, but tweaked and modulated every parameters available for the Velocity strikes to work like a Natural Drum strike would and the results came out really good.

Curious to go back again to DrumComputer and do a fresh bunch of presets with the Sample Import now Active combined with the other Engines and Parameters.
Still great and inspiring work, even with that limitation! The sample import did make a difference--not just for using on its own, but as a trigger for the resonator module. I look forward to hearing what else you come up with, given that new capability. I now wish that the modulation matrix had two or four more knobs so velocity could be assigned to even more parameters at once. Maybe you can talk them into adding that and then do a preset pack that shows off the advanced capabilities. :)

In the meantime, I've decided to post a free download of some of the punchier kicks I've recently created in DrumComputer that I hope will be helpful to some people. They don't have much programming with respect to velocity sensitivity, like the great Embrays Designs presets have, but will hopefully provide another illustration of what's possible with this plugin, and another launching point for further tweaking.

Punchy Kicks for DrumComputer:
https://www.davewheitner.com/music/pres ... mcomputer/
Last edited by bboxdw on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 pm Personally I love the fact that DrumComputer sounds different...We need more leftfield drum machines and personally I am pretty bored with the generic kick drum sound everyone produces nowadays, I prefer more experimental drum and rhythmic sounds (but then I use DFAM and Blck_Noir with a modular, so I am probably not the typical drum VST user!)
I credit DrumComputer and its sound and sequence designers with nudging me a little more in the left field direction, and leading me to discover sounds I otherwise wouldn't have. In the modular-oriented realm, it has even led me to experiment with attempting to emulate aspects of different drum synths in Bitwig's grid.
hcv242 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:50 am All i can say is that i wanted to like drum comuter. I have tried hard, but i couldnt. The drum synth of this plugin cant make a solid kick. Every time you trigger a sound it is reproduced in a different way. this is cool for certain aplications, but it wont work for my kind of electronics. Oscilattor reset at each note on would be interesting to have. the new sample engine kind of fixes this, since you can use samples to do kicks, but i wont buy a drum synth that cant do a solid kick with it synthesis engine.
You're not the first to voice this opinion, which is what inspired me to throw up some of the kick sounds I've created in DrumComputer. Some of them rely solely on the synthesis engines. I also know that some people want and need more granular control over certain options like the modulation curves, so they won't meet everyone's needs, but will hopefully help some. I also use other plugins (e.g., BigKick or Bitwig's grid) for some applications, and have just begun to explore new ways of combining some of them (e.g., using Atlas' sample mapping/finding feature to locate samples to drag into DrumComputer, or layering DrumComputer and Atlas in Bitwig). Great to have different options, especially when they complement each other in interesting and inspiring ways.

sqigls wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:37 am i wanted to like all the Sugar Bytes stuff, but none of it remains in my plugin folder.
I feel the same way about Sinevibes. They seem great on paper and they sound okay, but I never use them for anything.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:34 pm I feel the same way about Sinevibes. They seem great on paper and they sound okay, but I never use them for anything.
I also feel the same about sinevibes!
:lol:

bboxdw wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:55 am
BRoySound wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Still great and inspiring work, even with that limitation! The sample import did make a difference--not just for using on its own, but as a trigger for the resonator module. I look forward to hearing what else you come up with, given that new capability. I now wish that the modulation matrix had two or four more knobs so velocity could be assigned to even more parameters at once. Maybe you can talk them into adding that and then do a preset pack that shows off the advanced capabilities. :)

In the meantime, I've decided to post a free download of some of the punchier kicks I've recently created in DrumComputer that I hope will be helpful to some people. They don't have much programming with respect to velocity sensitivity, like the great Embrays Designs presets have, but will hopefully provide another illustration of what's possible with this plugin, and another launching point for further tweaking.

Punchy Kicks for DrumComputer:
https://www.davewheitner.com/music/presets/
Just Checked your Kick Presets, Excellent Stuff Dave, Very Clean, Punchy, well Balanced Kicks.
I'll advice everyone to download and try these Kicks in the Engine Presets.
I'll also advice everyone to use fx plugins similar to PA bx_boom to add more Thump and Body to the Kicks, it surprisingly works Great on DrumComputer Kicks.

about the Mod Matrix, I suggested the same to Rico, but it was very busy hectic at that time before the Release, I'll check with him again if it's possible to implement now, with the many engines and parameters, more assignable matrix will open up velocity expressiveness even more for sure.

also, was checking out your Albums on Apple Music, Just Brilliant, Very Enjoyable, especially the experimentation and playing with the different sounds is worth going through all your songs.

and Thank you again for the Kick Presets.
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

BRoySound wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 am
Just Checked your Kick Presets, Excellent Stuff Dave, Very Clean, Punchy, well Balanced Kicks.
I'll advice everyone to download and try these Kicks in the Engine Presets.
I'll also advice everyone to use fx plugins similar to PA bx_boom to add more Thump and Body to the Kicks, it surprisingly works Great on DrumComputer Kicks.
Thanks! I haven't tried that plugin; helpful to know about.
BRoySound wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 amabout the Mod Matrix, I suggested the same to Rico, but it was very busy hectic at that time before the Release, I'll check with him again if it's possible to implement now, with the many engines and parameters, more assignable matrix will open up velocity expressiveness even more for sure.
Using just your presets as an example, in cases where the matrix assignments are already maxed out, being able to assign velocity modulation to sample start time and color would be quite cool. That's probably the sort of thing you were referring to earlier, and of course is just the tip of the iceberg.
BRoySound wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 am also, was checking out your Albums on Apple Music, Just Brilliant, Very Enjoyable, especially the experimentation and playing with the different sounds is worth going through all your songs.
and Thank you again for the Kick Presets.
Thanks and you're very welcome. Thanks also for the inspiration your work has provided!

More updates made to the DrumComputer kicks download at https://www.davewheitner.com/music/pres ... mcomputer/. Version 1.4 as of 2022-01-05; more presets added and adjustments made to many existing ones.

Several (presets with "rsdel," short for "resonator delayed" in the name) utilized an idea from a Venus Theory video for slightly delaying the sub (in this case, basically the level of the resonator) to avoid interference with the initial transient downward pitch sweep. Edit: I later realized this often isn't necessary, and there are also other options such as high-pass filtering the analog/wavetable or resynth/sample modules or lowering the tone of the resonator module if needed to lessen or avoid clashes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrS8Fb2unQ

[Update: first, yes, I see now this was not the best spot for my post... second, fully uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick]

Hi there - just installed DC today and it seems like it can't find the wavetable nor the sample files.

By that, I mean any sound that uses a wavetable or sample, in the name field for that part of the sound, it reads "not found:[first few letters of file]."

See pic for a better idea of what I mean.
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.57.54 PM.png
I've tried pointing DC to the correct folders and sound files (I can navigate to them from within DC), but it won't accept the selection/doesn't load it...

Anyone have an idea as to what the issue might be? I'm on a Mac w/apple silicon running Big Sur, if that matters at all.

I'll send a note to Sugar Bytes, but thought I'd canvas the hive first.

Cheers lads/lasses!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Their Factory synth is pretty cool. :)

Return to “Instruments”