Quest and request

Official support for: apisoniclabs.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.
1.Can you do volume to db?
2. Ask me please when I use rr and random mode how many voices playing? Every new sample kill prev?
3. Can you do 16 kill group and change playing voices in kill group? Or make changing release when new sample kill old

Hi Andy, I'm not sure if I understand everything you're asking, so I'll answer what I can...
1. Some values (when I get to that) will be displayed in decibels instead of percentages, like volume
2. Each layer can have up to 8 voices, if all are playing and a new one is needed, the oldest one will be taken over
3. I would like to know why you want 16 cut/cutby groups... also cut/cutby groups are for pads and not for layers...

1. Now the volume is reflected from 0 to 200. In dB it would be more correct.
2. I mean if I use the poly mode on the pad and select the round robin, when playing quickly, the sounds are summed up, when in trigger mode they cut off very quickly. Is it possible to do as in battery 4 to choose how many voices the maximum sounds in the mode of pad poly and round robin? for example, in the battery, you can put 2 voices and select a release. I mean about voices inside pad. Now in mode poly we get 8 voices when play shorter notes.

1. Already answered
2. Ok, not a bad idea, I'll think about it.
Thanks

Hi,

When I loggin here in KVR I often come by your thread, reading the development of Speedrum, as I always interested in a good versatile drum sampler plugin. I tested the free lite version last year and it works great in my system.

Reading the 2nd point mentioned above, I just comment to share some thought which might be useful for you to consider.
It is indeed an essential feature for drum sampler and I also always want it for the SFZ format some days in the future with sfizz sfz sampler.

So, what mentioned by Andy is a true condition of what general/common sampler playback do.
A drum sampler mostly play the sample using one-shot mode, so the whole sample play from beginning to the end.
When playing fast lines, like cymbal roll or toms roll (which usually the real/acoustic samples are long, says up to 10 to 20 seconds), the build up sound sound is very noticeable and unnatural. It stacked up again and again after every new hit. Limiting the voice to 8 doesn't help to shape the sound nicely because all the 8 voices/samples will still ringing together. (Kick and snare sometimes not too noticeable because the samples usually quite short)

From the real-life condition of drums, example, a first cymbal hit then a second hit. The first hit will be decaying shorter because it interupted by the second hit. And so on when the third and fourth hits come in, previous hits will be decaying shorter, and so on. This is usually called Self-muting (or self-choke)

To simulate that behavior, you can add a release control to shorten the previous hits.
*This feature in SFZ V2 (Aria extension) is the off_time opcode. In Battery, it called Voice Overlap or Fade Time
From technical aspect, afaik, to have that function you need to assign the samples to a Group so the sampler will know which hit belonging to which group is needed to shortened by the specified release time.
This is currently achieveable in most sampler like sforzando, Battery, Kontakt, etc.
The problem is, when that cymbal want to be choked, it need a very short cut time (off time, fade time, release time, whatever you called it). So technically, it need to be assigned to an another Group to have a second cut time value.
If you are familiar with sfz format, I can describe it in simple way.

[*]In the first example here, the crash is limited to 1 polyphony which it means, the second hit will cut the previous hit by the specified cut time of 3 seconds, so the build up muddy sounds is successfully avoided. It self-muted :

Code: Select all

<region>
sample=crash.wav
key=49
loop_mode=one_shot
group=1
off_time=3
polyphony=1
(*note that the curve used by sforzando is concave so the cut time value a bit longer, whille NI sampler default value max at 1 seconds and it used linear curve)

[*]This second example is a normal programming for hihat or cymbal choke. The cut time is short at 0.5 seconds when the crash key 49 choked by key 60. But it doesn't has the Self-muting feature because when putting polyphony=1, it will make unnatural too short cut-off sound (because the specified cut time is 0.5s).

<region>
sample=crash.wav
key=49
loop_mode=one_shot
group=10
off_by=11
off_time=0.5

<region>
sample=silence.wav
key=60
group=11
[*]So to combine both features (Self-muting and Choked by others), you will need two different cut times available to shape the sample choke behavior. This is atm, also not yet achieveable in sfz, but here what it may looks like :

<region>
sample=crash.wav
key=49
loop_mode=one_shot
group=1
off_time=3
polyphony=1
group2=10
off_by2=11
off_time2=0.5

<region>
sample=silence.wav
key=60
group2=11
*(First group for Self-muting and 2nd group (group2) for choked by silence)

Of course I understand that Speedrum is MPC-style and used mostly for electronic drum samples. But I think this feature could be useful for some cases, e.g. when someone imported an acoustic drumkit samples).
I maybe describe it in a confused example but I find technically explain it in sfz text is quite simple to be reading-out and the principal is the same.

P.S.
Is the demo of latest speedrum available as Win Vst2 32-bit, or it's 64-bit only now?

I understood what Andy wanted to say from his second post, but thank you for the additional explanation and examples. It's already in the backlog, but I can't say when I'll get to it because there are already a lot of things to do.

There is no 32-bit version, I have not yet received a single request for it.
The Lite has a 32-bit version, but I’ll probably drop it in the next update.

Return to “Apisonic Labs”