Cool new plug in format on the way -- CLAP

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wrappers are gonna be rock solid. This is not bit-bridging.

I have no doubt hopes are high.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:09 pm New plugin developers would this way still be able to provide a "VST2" plugin (which is a CLAP wrapped into a CLAP-to-VST2 wrapper) even if they couldn't get the VST2SDK license from Steinberg since 2018.
Wasn't the agreement with Steinberg which had to be signed back then also about distributing VST2 plugins, in which case the CLAP-to-VST2 wrapper wouldn't help anything either, no?
Might be that memory failed though.

LeVzi wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:49 pm Because if it becomes more popular, I don't see Steinberg being too happy about it. Or Apple for that matter with their native system (AU is it ? ) or the AAX format.
Apple won't care. They don't do anything to support plugin formats apart from AU, but they don't do anything to lock them out, either.

Steinberg can go ahead and be mad. They might send scary legal threats to the CLAP project, DMCA the repo and get it taken down for a week or so, or even revoke VST licenses from vendors who work with them. They don't actually have any legal standing to be anything more than a minor nuisance, and even if they try, the resulting drama is free marketing. Alternatively, they could try and recoup some community goodwill by improving VST3 or bringing back VST2. I don't think they will actually do either of those things, though. They just can't help themselves.
I hate signatures too.

SCNR :hihi:

Apart from that I like the idea. Awaiting clappyhost from Hermann Seib any time soon...

No_Use wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:03 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:09 pm New plugin developers would this way still be able to provide a "VST2" plugin (which is a CLAP wrapped into a CLAP-to-VST2 wrapper) even if they couldn't get the VST2SDK license from Steinberg since 2018.
Wasn't the agreement with Steinberg which had to be signed back then also about distributing VST2 plugins, in which case the CLAP-to-VST2 wrapper wouldn't help anything either, no?
Might be that memory failed though.
Except this is not distributing a VST2 plugin, this is distributing a CLAP plugin first and foremost. The wrapper will be done by a developer that already has a legitimate VST2 SDK license, so no problems regarding distribution.

So any DAWs support this?

Or have planned support?

soundmodel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:58 am So any DAWs support this?
At this point: Only internal builds passed among a handful of developers.
Or have planned support?
Sure!

kylie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 pm Image

SCNR :hihi:
Well, one standard is on its way out, making space for this one. So effectively the number of standards stays the same ;)
Awaiting clappyhost from Hermann Seib any time soon...
Well, if the Behringer DAW supported it, that would be quite an entrance, wouldn't it?

(assuming that Hermann was hired to work on that project too, not just the PPG clone)

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:14 am Well, one standard is on its way out, making space for this one. So effectively the number of standards stays the same ;)
We'll see. Give us a sign. Release u-he C4T without "the other format" but with clap instead, and we will believe it. Ok, I will, but "that would be quite an entrance, wouldn't it?" :D
kylie wrote: Awaiting clappyhost from Hermann Seib any time soon...
Urs wrote: Well, if the Behringer DAW supported it, that would be quite an entrance, wouldn't it?
(assuming that Hermann was hired to work on that project too, not just the PPG clone)
Right now it is just vaporware. Apart from that I like the way of Hermann allowing me to do a short testdrive on a plugin with ~1MB footprint (for VST2, that is - I know that Savihost3 is almost twice as big :wink: ) without loading up a fully featured DAW...

kylie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:42 pmRelease u-he C4T without "the other format" but with clap instead, and we will believe it.
Yes, we had similar ideas.

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:29 pm
kylie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:42 pmRelease u-he C4T without "the other format" but with clap instead, and we will believe it.
I guess it would be a tad too optimistic to expect it this year... ?! :lol:

kylie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 pm
Depends on your timezone... :hihi:

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:44 pm
kylie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 pm
Depends on your timezone... :hihi:
I would not say I'm close enough to throw stones to your headquarters but if I'd board a train I could be there before the end of this year easily. Long story short - your timezone :D

Hehehe, then maybe next year ;)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”