How important is the piano roll to you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When making music, how important is the piano roll for you? Or maybe you don't use it.

Its important in that I need to make sure I can edit what I play into the DAW, but I don't need anything fancy other than nice tools that work well. I don't need realtime note features for example. As long as I can transpose easily, have scale mode for easy visualization, and decent automation drawing tools then I'm good to go.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Very. I play most of my parts into the DAW with my synths and MIDI controllers, so I use it to clean up my playing, adding/editing automation, sometimes making variations, transposing, or whatever. It’s one of the most important parts of any DAW that I use.
Last edited by cryophonik on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

wuworld wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm When making music, how important is the piano roll for you? Or maybe you don't use it.
It's important. How about you? Why do you care what others do?

If I need a tight rhythm with, eg, drums/percussion or piano left hand, I need either piano roll or score. I prefer human playing for atmospheres/textures and for the lead.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:15 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm When making music, how important is the piano roll for you? Or maybe you don't use it.
OP is on a roll today, it seems.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576023

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=576022

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=576021

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576020

piano roll is my life

this is bragging, but with me there's no difference between modes of operation. I prefer human time so I draw human time if I have to.

I can't play stuff to save my life and I very rarely use audio / samples.

So I'd say - very.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TOtally not important !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Tracker‘s view is just a different method of doing more or less the same as PRV though.

For me it‘s important, but i seem to have pretty low standards as i really think Reaper‘s PRV is pretty awesome too. And yes, i tried FL Studio aswell
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

It's important in terms of easily being able to resize or move notes around without hunting for pixels. Other than that, I don't use much advanced functionality.

It's also important that there's a "ghost note" feature, the ability to see notes of any other chosen MIDI parts behind the part I'm editing, so I can see my melody in relation to the chords, for example. Most DAWs have this, though FL Studio only has a partial implementation, making its piano roll worse than most other DAWs (you can only see ghost notes of other tracks within the same pattern).

So important, that when I hear a chord progression I like, I envision a series of blocks made up of stacked rectangles with various spaces between them.

No really. I do.

My piano roll is my life
there are many like it,
but the one I have customized in REAPER is mine.

It is my best friend. I have mastered it better than most other things in my life.

I write and edit all my MIDI in it, with the pen interface of a Wacom Cintiq display, while utilizing multitrack MIDI view to see harmonic relations between notes on different tracks.

Without it, I'm useless.

Without me, someone would probably make more popular music with that gear :D

lessera wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:12 am So important, that when I hear a chord progression I like, I envision a series of blocks made up of stacked rectangles with various spaces between them.

No really. I do.
So do I.

Except in my case it is often the other way around - I see some visual lines (wires on electrical poles etc.) and imagine how they would sound like as notes on 12-TET piano roll. Extra fun when those lines cross eachother in multiple layers and in "per-note automation" style, making the imagined notes morph into eachother - that's something I'd hope to be possible in all DAWs in the future.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm
OP is on a roll today, it seems.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576023

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=576022

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=576021

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576020
Why are you still replying in my threads?

Why do u care replying in my thread, if it's not something your not interested in discussing the topic?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”