Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 am
NikkiA wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm PX7 was discontinued last year, there was supposed to be a new FM synth by Propellerheads to replace it, but I don't see any sign that it was released.
It’s called algoritm , adsr envelopes only

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /algoritm/
I tried algoritm. Wanted to like it but passed. Maybe I’ll revisit it. But F em seems much more powerful.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 am
NikkiA wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm PX7 was discontinued last year, there was supposed to be a new FM synth by Propellerheads to replace it, but I don't see any sign that it was released.
It’s called algoritm , adsr envelopes only

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /algoritm/
I tried algoritm. Wanted to like it but passed. Maybe I’ll revisit it. But F em seems much more powerful.
F'em has bad sound quality. No clue why. Everything that comes out of it sounds "cheap". Unlike OPS7 which sounds beautiful 😍.

No it doesn't , Fém sounds great , hi-fi but great ..the coder knows his stuff ( previously workded for waldorf )
I agree OPS7 sounds wonderfull
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:51 am
perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 am I tried algoritm. Wanted to like it but passed. Maybe I’ll revisit it. But F em seems much more powerful.
F'em has bad sound quality. No clue why. Everything that comes out of it sounds "cheap". Unlike OPS7 which sounds beautiful 😍.
I disagree. If you find F'eM sounds bad quality and "cheap" then you should check your settings.
Fernando (FMR)

IMO the issue with F'em's sound from demoing it is that the presets seem determined to do impressions of analog type stuff, using the filters, free-running oscillators etc. The latter especially make it sound very 'polite'. Fix the phase of the oscillators and suddenly you have that more up front, hi-fi FM sound and all the nasty clangy tones you could want.

I had other issues with it that made me buy FM8 for the time being but if the bugs etc. get sorted I may well end up going back to it later.

f.'em is Sytrus on crack.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

F'em is very sensitive to amount of modulation. It has way greater modulation amount range then DX7. Korg OPSIX has greater range too but not that much. It give F'em access to more sounds, but its harder to deal with.

yul wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 am Any suggestions on managing my user patches?
The system preset folder seems a bit too far down I'd love to be able to specify my own folder.

Maybe the only answer is to create a folder in the system folder?
The save option always defaults to that folder anyways which is not too bad.

I feel I am more inclined to use the SYX/Classic patch management anyways (I stick with basics).
The 32 preset system in a bank seems very intuitive (never had a DX7 but many gear from that period had the same).
The SYX patch mode may have an issue. Reloading a project keeps the patch going but you lose the reference to the initial SYX program and bank. I was using a generic DX7 bank saved on my computer and can't retrace the preset I used. Help is appreciated. Is Plogue monitoring here or should I contact them? This is a bit annoying. Thx

digitalboytn wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:15 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:08 am
digitalboytn wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:10 pm
SebAV wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:59 pm I’m still not ok with the UI. So I stand by PX7 for now. Sound is not as authentic but the UI (except browser) is far better to me
It's always important to get the priorities right :tu:

Don't worry about the sound :wink:
The "sound" depends on his abilities to program it, don't you think?
No...

His ability to program the synth is irrelevant because the sound engine is always going to be what it is :wink:
My inability to program one of the 300k already existing authentic dx7 sounds with OPS7 is indeed less relevant than being at ease programming dx7-ish sounds with PX7.
Ofc OPS7 with a PX7 kind of UI is what I’d go if that existed. But it doesn’t.

yul wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 am
yul wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 am Any suggestions on managing my user patches?
The system preset folder seems a bit too far down I'd love to be able to specify my own folder.

Maybe the only answer is to create a folder in the system folder?
The save option always defaults to that folder anyways which is not too bad.

I feel I am more inclined to use the SYX/Classic patch management anyways (I stick with basics).
The 32 preset system in a bank seems very intuitive (never had a DX7 but many gear from that period had the same).
The SYX patch mode may have an issue. Reloading a project keeps the patch going but you lose the reference to the initial SYX program and bank. I was using a generic DX7 bank saved on my computer and can't retrace the preset I used. Help is appreciated. Is Plogue monitoring here or should I contact them? This is a bit annoying. Thx
Please contact Plogue. This is just a thread about one of their products and not a support channel.

I guess I'm a little confused. When I dragged a preset within SysEx screen to another spot in the same bank (A), it cleared out the preset that was there. Is that normal behaviour?
I thought it would place the preset I was dragging to that new spot in the bank, but it clears it out. It works fine if you drag a preset from bank A to B.

Examigan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm I guess I'm a little confused. When I dragged a preset within SysEx screen to another spot in the same bank (A), it cleared out the preset that was there. Is that normal behaviour?
I thought it would place the preset I was dragging to that new spot in the bank, but it clears it out. It works fine if you drag a preset from bank A to B.
Just tested. Yeah, that's a weird one. Please email Plogue. :)

Thanks, I’ll do that.

nominil wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:06 pm
yul wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 am

Please contact Plogue. This is just a thread about one of their products and not a support channel.
I did. Actually I think I figured out a workaround.

Any SYX bank/program in the browser you can audition but to save it you need to bring it in the A/B column. If you don't and just save the project, the sound is still there but you lose the reference .

If you do save it in the A/B colum, the patch name stays however you still lose the initial reference to the original DX bank (not great).

Basically you cannot import a DX7 bank, you need to import programs and create a new bank. Weird but at least I have a workaround.

Anyone else having these situations? I mean it's a really great plugin are people using it the way I do?

I can't program FM to save myself, but like everyone else - i have a ton of DX patches.
I'd like to just load a bank - save single presets to a folder with no f**king around, then when i have 32 basses, or 32 stabs or whatever, just make a bunch of banks i can load quickly in future.
At present, it's just not straight forward enough for me bother doing this.

Return to “Instruments”