TO ALL Developers of Software Plugins ! Take out Personal Informations from Plugins !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, for us it has helped a lot to display "registered to ..." on the init preset. Over the years, numerous people have been helped by it with their support cases. And also, numerous people have been helped to become legit - or at least, stopped from sharing warez.

Our future copy protection scheme which we hope to roll out in the next 2 years does indeed contain a visual cypher (pixel salad) which we could display instead. But I assume that displaying some scrambled information will make people even more uneasy than just the name, or maybe a anonymised email address ("j***.s****@isp.com"). Thing is, who stops us from displaying credit card numbers, right - or whatever some people come up with. Such that IDK, I'm not sure if anonymising is such a good idea either, and neither is not displaying any license info, in our experience.

Open for suggestions tho.

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 am Well, for us it has helped a lot to display "registered to ..." on the init preset. Over the years, numerous people have been helped by it with their support cases. And also, numerous people have been helped to become legit - or at least, stopped from sharing warez.

Our future copy protection scheme which we hope to roll out in the next 2 years does indeed contain a visual cypher (pixel salad) which we could display instead. But I assume that displaying some scrambled information will make people even more uneasy than just the name, or maybe a anonymised email address ("j***.s****@isp.com"). Thing is, who stops us from displaying credit card numbers, right - or whatever some people come up with. Such that IDK, I'm not sure if anonymising is such a good idea either, and neither is not displaying any license info, in our experience.

Open for suggestions tho.
I think how your company is doing it is the best compromise. Displayed on init an that's it. After loading another presets it's gone. Easy as that.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 amThing is, who stops us from displaying credit card numbers, right - or whatever some people come up with. Such that IDK, I'm not sure if anonymising is such a good idea either, and neither is not displaying any license info, in our experience.
Good point, I didn't think about that. It would never cross my mind to display a code generated from a credit card number or something like that, but who knows what people could come up with or what users may imagine.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

noiseresearch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm I think how your company is doing it is the best compromise.
Best compromise between what? 90% of the plugins I use don't show personal info on the GUI.

Although, as I said, I don't have an issue with that, if it's just my name, or my email adress. I don't even see a reason for more than that. And, TBH, I hardly see the reason to display anything. To prevent piracy? How? The least people upload videos.

Support cases? First thing you'll know is who you are talking to. And, if it's not, you can ask for the presonal info in the email.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pm
noiseresearch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm I think how your company is doing it is the best compromise.
Best compromise between what? 90% of the plugins I use don't show personal info on the GUI.
In this context? The best compromise if you show personal info. Simply do not keep it all the time displayed (Madrona Labs Aalto is doing that for example).
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Alright.

I still think there's no need for it though. Although I don't really care if it does or not. Seems more of a gimmick to me, more than anything else, TBH. "Hey, look, that's mine, and I even paid for it!"

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pmSupport cases? First thing you'll know is who you are talking to. And, if it's not, you can ask for the presonal info in the email.
You have no knowledge of the various kinds of support cases we deal with on a daily basis. Therefore I'd like to kindly request to not make any such assumptions.

So you know from screenshots of a GUI showing the user details on the display in the init preset who you are dealing with for support cases?

Frist thing I do in support emails is to state my customer info, name, adress, email address, and customer number (if any). That also seems to be the thing most companies expect in such cases. My point is, I don't see how those informations on the GUI would help, when you can state them in the email.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Ok, I'll stop then. Obviously, this is classified information, that I don't know, and shouldn't know anything about.

Why participate in this thread then though? Urs gave some information, which I can't make anything of, in his first post here. Surely he has his reason, and can do what he wants. I just don't get it, that's all.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:22 pmFrist thing I do in support emails ...
You're projecting then. Every support case is different though, and people have all sorts of reasons to use all sorts of typos, aliases, nicknames, whatnot. So please don't paint the ability to see the textual string a software is registered to as a neglectible and unimportant aspect.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:26 pmWhy participate in this thread then though? Urs gave some information, which I can't make anything of, in his first post here. Surely he has his reason, and can do what he wants. I just don't get it, that's all.
You're projecting again. Other people certainly find my input valuable, both in terms of examples and reasons given. No worries though, you don't need to make sense of it, as this information is obviously of no relevance to you.

Synthack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm If you're the person putting up tutorials, then just censor the info out via editing. It isn't that hard if you don't move your windows around a lot.

Takes a bit of work but it's definitely doable.
1.) if you're streaming live that option goes out of the window

2) "takes a bit of work" is quite the understatement here

OP clearly has a point and a half - but of course the typical KVR-fanboyism-culture must jump to the defense of all those oh-so-poor and unjustly-attacked developers at every possible occassion...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

That of course doesn't take anything away from Urs having a valid point too, of course.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Return to “Instruments”