TO ALL Developers of Software Plugins ! Take out Personal Informations from Plugins !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just because one doesn’t agree or see the point doesn’t make it wrong.. the OP was very clear about his concerns, a dev understands that concern because he dealt with similar requests. It’s just so simple. Why twist and turn things when you don’t care about it to begin with?

One of the concerns expressed by the OP and others was basically 'what if I'm a huge @sshole online -I don't want people figuring out who I am' which I guess is valid. But why not just be less of jerk online? Or own your views and be willing to risk having your name associated with them if that's how you really feel? Don't want to lose work in that case? Well, then think twice and learn how to act or take some personal responsibility and be willing to accept the consequences. I don't know where this whole "I want to behave in a way I know will be offensive but don't want to suffer any consequences from said behavior" attitude has come from, but it's old. When I started in corporate America, they told us time and time again, "don't put anything in writing you wouldn't want to see plastered in a newspaper." It's good advice for all digital interactions.

Now it's different for someone who may be politically active and speak out against their government in countries where doing so can legitimately be dangerous (as in to your life and liberty - not just your reputation or wallet), but then, maybe live streaming your music production at the same time isn't a good idea too? The less attention you draw to yourself the better, no? Call me old fashioned, but not everything needs to be shared in public forums and social media, and if you do choose to do so, then the responsibility for your actions is on you.

No one's forcing anyone to stream their music production, and if you are, then there's a chance people may figure out who you are. If that's a concern, don't do that. Someone on that live stream may recognize your voice, or your face, etc. Between IP addresses, facial recognition technology, voice printing, Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc. having all your data, I feel like if you want to keep things on the down low, it's easy not to try to choose to stream.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm One of the concerns expressed by the OP and others was basically 'what if I'm a huge @sshole online -I don't want people figuring out who I am' which I guess is valid. But why not just be less of jerk online?
Nope, it wasn't. You obviously misunderstood this. It wasn't about being a jerk, it was basically about being (politically - and potentially what not) opinionated and not wanting to give others around you the chance of feeling entitled to holding you accountable for it because personally they have an opposing opinion and consider it the only valid one.

And this thread nicely exhibits how close-minded the bulk of people still is to this day, so that point is certainly isn't very far-fetched at all. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm One of the concerns expressed by the OP and others was basically 'what if I'm a huge @sshole online -I don't want people figuring out who I am' which I guess is valid. But why not just be less of jerk online?
Nope, it wasn't. You obviously misunderstood this. It wasn't about being a jerk, it was basically about being (politically - and potentially what not) opinionated and not wanting to give others around you the chance of feeling entitled to holding you accountable for it because personally they have an opposing opinion and consider it the only valid one.

And this thread nicely exhibits how close-minded the bulk of people still is to this day, so that point is certainly isn't very far-fetched at all. :shrug:
I'm sorry Jens, but maybe we're reading it differently, but here's the OP a few posts into this thread (emphasis mine):
capracan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:14 am Any of you Student know your Real Name...but yeah if u are a Producer/Ghostwriter/ Activist and use you secret ID für this Plugins (your Email)...then you are maybe no longer a Ghostwriter...also if you use the N* word or some specific politic words (whitegiantdick or something)...that can hurt, u can lost your job. :party:
And the very next post in the thread after that one by someone else:
Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:29 am I don't want my students to know my political views; it's something I keep to myself, as our society in America is so polarized, with people using extremes and exaggerations to label political opponents. It could shut doors to students learning something from me.

I also don't want to lose my job, but I don't use the N-word, and I avoid racist and other types of discriminatory thinking.

Still, I'm no model if ideal internet chat-room behavior. Hmm, maybe I should pretend students can see what I type, and maybe I should be less of a jackass. Meh, to hell with that.
...so yeah, the way I read that, there's an element of this that's exactly about how people behave online. That's why I addressed that element of it in my post. I don't think I misunderstood anything.

Synthack wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 pm 1. So normally if you are doing a business, you do this thing called research. Once you're done.. you go and buy said equipment for your business. In this case if you're doing it after the fact, then you're clearly doing it wrong. I know because I run a business that deals with video editing.
"Normally", huh? Because it is absolutely not possible that there are hobbyists who at some point reach a level where they seek to semi-professionally start some kind of pastime-venture, right?
Especially at a place such as this here this ought be deemed unthinkeable right from the get-go.

And all the rest of what you state here exhibits a similar level of close-mindedness and wannabe-pro swagger.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 pm
jens wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm

I'm sorry Jens, but maybe we're reading it differently, but here's the OP a few posts into this thread (emphasis mine):
capracan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:14 am Any of you Student know your Real Name...but yeah if u are a Producer/Ghostwriter/ Activist and use you secret ID für this Plugins (your Email)...then you are maybe no longer a Ghostwriter...also if you use the N* word or some specific politic words (whitegiantdick or something)...that can hurt, u can lost your job. :party:
I would think he was exaggerating to make a point. For some vegans meat-eaters are the anti-christ - and vice versa. So he'd certainly have a fair point without ever using the N-word or whatever else you personally deem c**nty.

And all I'm saying is, that's the portion of the argument I was responding to. If someone truly feels that way, my post was written to counter that argument. I didn't pull it out of my ass. It was discussed and I responded to that aspect of it.

It seems to me that the easiest solution is to put any personal information in the About tab/window, like many developers do, so it’s not visible during normal use. But, good luck getting all developers to do that.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I would think a simple option (whihc is off by default) to "hide personal info" ought do the trick.

TL;DR The OP has a legitimate concern.

I'd suggest existing law in the EU such as the GDPR and the Privacy Act of 1974 in the US, though the latter applies to US Federal records and systems of records.

However, both serve as models for how companies should view PII, and possibly cause for action/redress by or on behalf of customers. Code-wise, it's an easy fix to implement. Ex. "Registered" could easily substitute for someone's name and still indicate the legitimacy of the copy.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Heh. I judt figured out how to make my first million! I'm going to write a black bar program that is resizable and always sits on top! That way, users can place it anywhere on their screen to cover up what they want and still focus what's beneath it. Mushaha! At $1.99 a pop, I'll be rich! Tahiti, here I come!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:32 pm Heh. I judt figured out how to make my first million! I'm going to write a black bar program that is resizable and always sits on top! That way, users can place it anywhere on their screen to cover up what they want and still focus what's beneath it. Mushaha! At $1.99 a pop, I'll be rich! Tahiti, here I come!
Call it Redakt and sell the idea to Native Instruments 8)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm As for the OT if you are a hobbyist\pro\semi-pro\etc and don't want your name plastered on your stream/recording then it's pretty simple. Go buy another licence and get the name changed by simply requesting it with the developer.
Or just buy from developers who care more about their paying customer than they care about harassing unlicensed users 💕

Please stop supporting shitty business practices and spend your money on people who are user friendly 💕

Return to “Instruments”