Cubase Elements has ~95% of what I need from a DAW :o

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Elements, Artist, and Pro. Currently I use Elements the most.

BUT.... - that's only because Artist and Pro are on dongles.
Elements is on an elicenser on my laptop, which I'm often using more than my desktop.

After the new licensing system is set up, and I can have Pro on both the laptop and
desktop without using a dongle, I'll probably only use Pro.

But yes - Elements is pretty capable and would probably more than meet a lot of people's needs.
Last edited by felis on Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

btw. reMIDI can be used as a clip-based MIDI container in Cubase too, can record/playback clips(note triggered)/slice and redistribute notes between its pads/shift/transpose etc. just can't edit them
but supports drag and dropping (and it was 18$ during the Xmas sales :D ) it's a MIDI sampler not a scratchpad but found useful in Cubase
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Been using Cubase Elements for years and loving it, does pretty much everything I need. However, I might upgrade to Artist when 12 gets released and 1999 style dongle will finally be history.

Thought I needed all the midi and audio modulation bells and whistles that Bitwig has to offer, learned that just because you can modulate everything it doesn’t mean you should. Will be selling my Bitwig Studio license

I used Elements for a while, before I switched to Cubase Pro. Looking back, that was a good way to go about it. I learned a lot about Cubase using Elements and as OP said, it covers most of what you need for making music, at least as a hobbyist. What I really like about Elements, compared to other entry level DAWs, you can use third party VST. The only reason why I upgraded to Pro was, that I wanted some easy to use plugin to edit my vocal recordings. I was thinking of buying Melodyne, but then I managed to buy the upcrade to Pro for the same price as getting Melodyne and I was sold.

Cubasis has 95% of what I need. Doesn’t mean I’ll switch to iPad anytime soon. It’s a nice scratchpad
void main(dumb)

I prefer DAW's of which there is only a single commercial version, like Reaper, Mulab etc.

Does Elements offer the same audio quality, like when exporting/rendering? The same target formats etc.?

What is the difference between a Midi channel and a VST channel?
Say, I have one of those drum plugins that open like a dozen sub-channels?

I got a key for the LE version that came with the Retrologue 2 license I bought here. But I never installed LE, it seems to be the most basic of all versions.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 pm What is the difference between a Midi channel and a VST channel?
This is about tracks (in arranger), not channels (in console). VST track hosts a VST instrument, like e.g. Kontakt, which can receive MIDI from multiple MIDI tracks.

Other things you can find here:
https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I think this is a fair assessment. I cross-graded straight to pro when I got Cubase so i can't directly speak from experience, but pulling up and looking at the feature list, and its actually a pretty good haul for the base edition.
64 MidiTracks, 48 Audio, 24 Instrument Tracks. Time stretch and sample editing. 40 or so audio effects. They don't allow to render in place, which sucks because that would be a way to sidestep the 24 Instrument limit (i'm sure thats why they don't let you) but for many people, 24 Instruments is going to be enough. Especially if you have stuff like Kontakt that you can layer different sounds in the VST itself to avoid using other tracks.

I would honestly say its probably one of the best base DAW's you can buy for a cool 99$
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Another bonus is also not having to use the dongle, however, much to the delight of everyone on the planet nobody will have to deal with them soon :party:

What I always disliked about the smaller versions of Cubase is that the routing doesn't allow for the same as in the Pro version. For example, you can't record the output of a VSTi.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pm What I always disliked about the smaller versions of Cubase is that the routing doesn't allow for the same as in the Pro version. For example, you can't record the output of a VSTi.
Honestly, like the Bounce in place limitation, I'm sure thats also in place to prevent people from abusing the 24 VSTi limit.
It's a business decision I suppose.

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 pm What is the difference between a Midi channel and a VST channel?
This is about tracks (in arranger), not channels (in console). VST track hosts a VST instrument, like e.g. Kontakt, which can receive MIDI from multiple MIDI tracks.

Other things you can find here:
https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
Ah, sorry, of course I meant tracks, not channels :hihi:
So, can I stack various VST's in one track?

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:06 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pm What I always disliked about the smaller versions of Cubase is that the routing doesn't allow for the same as in the Pro version. For example, you can't record the output of a VSTi.
Honestly, like the Bounce in place limitation, I'm sure thats also in place to prevent people from abusing the 24 VSTi limit.
It's a business decision I suppose.
Yeah, makes sense. Even though it's also limited in Artist, which doesn't have those track limits. But, maybe it's like "If you want to have the advanced routing, you have to buy the Pro version" generally.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 pm So, can I stack various VST's in one track?
No, not in Cubase as far as I'm aware. But you can send MIDI from several MIDI tracks to one VST track, hosting a multi-timbral plugin (like Kontakt, Falcon, etc.).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:53 pm Another bonus is also not having to use the dongle, however, much to the delight of everyone on the planet except those that really don't have a problem with it nobody will have to deal with them soon :party:
Fixed that for you.

Actually I prefer the dongle and so do others compared to some of the dodgy options being mooted for Cubase. Internet dependent login? No f**king way. iLok type PACE shite? No f**king way. I can live with security linked to the PC though it doesn't impress me. Ideally would be happy if they just left well alone and kept the dongle.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”