Sgt. Pepper vs Dark Side?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:44 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:42 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:38 pm only one uses lightsabres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8M17dt6wU
she could have cut him in half, saved us all a lot of trouble.
But then there would be two of him :o

i love both but my estimate is that i've listened to dark side about 5 times as much as sargent pepper's.

so i guess i vote for dark side.
lyrically, it's more realistic and truer to life thanks to roger waters.
musically, it's just as enjoyable, thanks to david gilmour and the rest of the band.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

mumpcake wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 am Two classic landmark albums, but which one is best?
The Easy All Stars ones.

I'll give a serious answer:

Huge Beatles fan here (far prefer them to Floyd overall): Sgt. Pepper isn't even the Beatles best album. It's not even in the top 3. Dark Side of the Moon IS Pink Floyd's best album. So Dark Side of the Moon.

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:59 pm
No, I think it's a myth that a worm becomes two worms when cut in half.

Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:20 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:59 pm
No, I think it's a myth that a worm becomes two worms when cut in half.
No, it's a myth they become two live worms :wink:

He's not a worm tho, he's clearly not that advanced....

mumpcake wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 am Two classic landmark albums, but which one is best?
Difficult to say, Easy Star All-Stars released two great albums there.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

If I had to choose, it would be Sgt. Pepper. I have to be in a particular mood to listen to Roger begin his journey to bitter moroseness through these musings on madness, death, war, poverty, death, materialism, and such. Don't get me wrong, I love DSotM, but I prefer to listen to something that makes me smile and feel better about things. My associated memories with DSotM are also generally darker.
Both albums at the peak of their respective careers.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Safe As Milk

Generally I am more into Pink Floyd, but I like Sgt. Pepper better than Dark Side.

Why?

Because my dad's 8-track of Dark Side wore out when I was a tiny kid and he never replaced it. When I bought it on cassette in the late 80s, my Walkman tore it up at the end of side 1. So I got to listen to Sgt. Pepper a lot more and burned it into my brain.

Probably the PF album I've heard the most is Wish You Were Here. Mettle was really good though, and I was big into Momentary Lapse.

I do remember the day Dark Side came out. March, 73, I think, somewhere around there. Somebody from the next street over had bought it first day available and showed it to me on his way home. I heard a few tracks around that time, but Money turned me off. I didn't quite get that it was a commentary, rather than a fantasy. I thought, 'Materialistic feckers'. The rest was completely lost on me until a few years later and a few spliffs later. Wish You Were Here was and is my favourite of theirs, I suppose, next to Meddle.
It was only in the last 10 years, since the death of my best-friend, that I've listened to DSotM a lot. From my teen years, I've always loved 'Us and Them', though now I think 'Any Colour You Like' is boring.
Sgt. Pepper.....it's always sunny in Pepperland. :party: :band:
EDIT: as for Pepper, over the years I've acquired a visceral loathing for Paul's twee When I'm 64, and even She's Leaving Home. The only thing really that redeems that for me now is Lennon's cheeky 'bye-bye' at the end of every verse. :hihi:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

has paul ever written a negative song?
john might have though. "run for your life" might be one.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Too Many People.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:10 pm
Difficult to say, Easy Star All-Stars released two great albums there.
:tu:

Dub Side of the Moon is still regularly on my playlist. Though I can't say the same for the Sgt. Pepper one. I'm really not sure but I have an inkling that I might actually prefer the Easy Star All Stars version to the real DSOTM. (Their deeper dub version of DTSOM wasn't as good IMO) :-o I know that's sacrilege, but it is very, very good.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”