Cubase - Vst 2 vs 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I always install vst 3 versions and never vst 2 versions of plug ins. Vst 3 is better across the board right? I wouldn't be surprised if there's barely any difference, maybe stuff like the suspend while not playing is vst 3 only. But I have this nagging thing where maybe there's something worse with vst 3 vs vst2, I may just be mis remembering a post I read ages ago?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

kenny saunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:17 pmHi, I always install vst 3 versions and never vst 2 versions of plug ins. Vst 3 is better across the board right? I wouldn't be surprised if there's barely any difference, maybe stuff like the suspend while not playing is vst 3 only. But I have this nagging thing where maybe there's something worse with vst 3 vs vst2, I may just be mis remembering a post I read ages ago?
No, in a lot of cases VST3 plugins are more buggy, so it's always good to have both if available.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:22 pm No, in a lot of cases VST3 plugins are more buggy
I can't really confirm that... for the plugins I use, the VST3 versions are as stable as VST2.

If vst3 is available I always use that, and don't like it when the same vst2 version is automatically installed.
I go through and delete them.
I have only one that doesn't work correctly as vst3 - Waldorf Largo, so I'm forced to use the vst2 version.
I've written to them about it, but it doesn't seem likely that they'll fix it. :x

What problems did you discover in Largo's VST3?

I just install VST3s now because I am too lazy to point VST2s to my external hard-drive.

At the moment, I still install both, because, if I have problems with one format, I can fallback to the other. Although, as I mentioned, most plugins work as well in VST3 as they do in VST2.

I too install both, since some of my 'hosts' (like Komplete Kontrol and Maschine and Reason 11) don't quite work with vst3 yet.
For most developers I go with vst3, those that complain about vst3 I often find their plugins work better in vst2 than vst3 (not surprisingly (cart/horse)), but whilst I am a huge vst3 advocate, it is rare from my experience anyway (I can't think of any), that a vst 2 version of a plugin is more buggy than its vst3 counterpart), whilst indeed they are a few plugins where the vst2 behaves better than the vst3 version.

Cubendo user here so for sure I prefer working with vst3, especially with audio effects.

rsp
sound sculptist

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:17 pm What problems did you discover in Largo's VST3?
Release velocity doesn't work in the vst3 version.
The Evil Dragon guy here verified it, and I notified Waldorf about it.

I'm stuck with using vst2 for that one, and for some Native Instruments stuff.
But NI is gradually getting their act together.

Ok. Unfortunately, I really don't see a lot of activity from Waldorf in regards of their software lately... I think the last Largo version is from 2018.

I wonder if they will even do a Apple M1 version. But, who knows. Maybe it's just the calm before the storm. ;)

I've not to this day used any VST3 instrument.

vst 2 by default, vst3 also if it's sidechain appropriate.
and i'm guessing everything vst3 (native) when Cubase 12 arrives.

i've had a lot of problems with vst3 in the past, and it's a pain in the ass they stopped FXP/FXB support for vst3.
...if i'm juggling a project from Ableton Live to Cubase.

to be quite honest, i have noticed absolutely no advantage to vst3, apart from the sidechain. i have tons of vst2 plugins that don't seem to use any CPU when they aren't active, and tons of vst3 plugins that do. And my automation timing isn't as vital as some producers obviously, cos i don't see any problem there either.

If Reason had VST3 support, I wouldn't bother with VST2 at all. Once they start supporting it (which is already in the roadmap) I'll just delete the VST2 folder
void main(dumb)

sqigls wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:11 amvst 2 by default, vst3 also if it's sidechain appropriate...
I've seen "sidechain" mentioned multiple times with regards to VST3 - why? All VST2 plugins that are supposed to have sidechain input do have it.

Is there something extra with VST3s?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I've been using pretty much VST3 only for a while now, and it's fine, no issues here.

I use both as I have to, but really not bothered either way.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”