Audio Interface

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking ideally for a small USB 3 interface, with TRS outs , XLR mic in with phantom power and is reliable.

My ID4 is really starting to play up, and I am getting tired of it tbh. I really don't need loads of in/outs, just the basics, but whatever it is, needs solid drivers (Windows 10/11)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Very high performance for a USB device, RME BabyFace Pro/FS.
Very solid driver too.
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=5092

In normal circumstances, I would agree with Pictus over the BF Pro FS. Problem is that there are major shortages of RME gear across the usual UK and EU dealers. Thomann say it'll be several months before they get them in, Scan's delivery has been overdue since early November, Andertons say 'more stock due on 3 months or longer', KMR haven't got any, Synthax are out of stock. Other products in the range across these retailers are also short/out of stock/well past delivery dates. I put my name down for a BF Pro FS from Scan in December and decided I wouldn't risk a long wait, cancelled the order and went for a Digiface USB and ADI-2 FS, utilising my SL Crimson as a preamp and mixer frontend. Works beautifully well.

@LeVzi: personally down the bottom end I really like the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 (had one on my laptop last year). It has the TRS outs you want, the mic preamps are fine, the driver works more than well enough for using software guitar amps and synths, and I can't recall seeing any major threads on forums saying they have issues.

Pictus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:19 pm Image
Very high performance for a USB device, RME BabyFace Pro/FS.
Very solid driver too.
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=5092
That is a USB 2 interface meant specifically for portability.

Another option is what I currently use, MOTU M4. It has been rock solid since I got it February 2021 and I am getting the best latency I've ever gotten at 256

Why does it need to be USB 3? You can always run a USB 2.x device into a Type C socket if you need to and AFAIK, if all you want to do is run your computer and a mic though it, there is zero advantage to using USB 3 over USB 2. Restricting your search to USB 3 devices is going to really narrow your options.

I'm also a bit disappointed with my Audient EVO 8. Some aspects of it are great but it also gives me more problems than any other interface I've used. OTOH, the other USB 3 device I have, a Steinberg UR44C, has been great so I imagine the smaller UR22C will also serve you well. One of the new Universal Audio Volt devices might be a good fit, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Constructed Identity wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:25 am That is a USB 2 interface meant specifically for portability.
Well, the OP asked for a small device...
It is USB 2, but still faster than most other audio interfaces, because the FS
is a newer/improved product there is a possibility for it to be a bit faster
than the older Pro version.
Not in the test, but the Fireface UCX II is also very good.
In the USB land nothing comes close to the RME, they are on top and
faster than the some other brands PCIe and Thunderbolt versions!

No, he asked for a "a small USB 3 interface", you only got it half right. You also seem quite hung up on it being "fast", which is something the OP didn't even mention. Latency may not be an issue at all for him. The other thing I'd point out is that in terms of bang for your buck, RME makes very little sense at all. Nobody has to pay those kinds of ridiculous prices to get usably low latency. You might have once but not in 2022.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That Babyface looks like XLR out to me, it's not a big deal just means I need to get new cables, I have TRS to XLR at the moment for my monitors.

I would prefer something USB3 as it's more future proofed tbh, the ID4 Mk2 is USB3 but tbh I want to avoid Audient, the drivers are awful and well the unit hasn't lasted long at all. (Mk1)

I am damned that firewire support was dropped from the motherboards, or i'd still be using the same Saffire I had at the start, thats over 10 years old, and still going strong. (At least would be)

Latency isn't an issue tbh, not overly fussed on that. I just want a good solid interface but will need phantom power for my mic.

I had the Steinberg one, but they were unbalanced outs from that unit, and I had all kinds of noise issues with the unit.

On that latency chart, the ID4 is a lot worse, but it's fine for what I use, so latency really doesn't matter.

The UA Volt has caught my attention tbh.

My UR44C definitely has TRS outputs. If you get a UA Volt, I'd be keen to hear how it goes for you.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 am My UR44C definitely has TRS outputs. If you get a UA Volt, I'd be keen to hear how it goes for you.
It looks the business doesn't it.

tbh I am looking more towards the Volt 176 , suits more my needs, you get an 1176 (UA version) built in.

I'd love to have a DSP UA interface, but tbh, I cannot justify the expense.

And tbh, you get a fair bit of included software with this unit. Looks nice size too. I think this is what i'd go for if the Audient packs in.

I have a RME Fireface 802, which is probably the only audio interface I'll ever need. The cheap UA interfaces look interesting.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Good solid interface: RME - I dont think there are any other one
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

PreSonus is improving the USB driver, at least for the PreSonus Studio 1824c
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... st15819125
I wonder if it's the improvements also apply to the other models.

LeVzi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am I am damned that firewire support was dropped from the motherboards, or i'd still be using the same Saffire I had at the start, thats over 10 years old, and still going strong. (At least would be)
Hi LeVzi,

I have my Saffire DSP Pro 24 working over Thunderbolt. I have a laptop with TB3 so I just use a couple of adapters on the FW cable into the laptop. It has been solid.

So if you are ever going to upgrade, consider getting TB for your Saffire.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Living Room Rocker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:32 am
LeVzi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am I am damned that firewire support was dropped from the motherboards, or i'd still be using the same Saffire I had at the start, thats over 10 years old, and still going strong. (At least would be)
Hi LeVzi,

I have my Saffire DSP Pro 24 working over Thunderbolt. I have a laptop with TB3 so I just use a couple of adapters on the FW cable into the laptop. It has been solid.

So if you are ever going to upgrade, consider getting TB for your Saffire.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
I'd have to get a TB card for my system, my MOBO doesn't have native TB only usb 3.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”