Lazy developers exposed by Apple M1 transition (lack of native updates)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS 5

v1o wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 am Why were you so quick to adopt the M1 architecture? That's what you get for so desperately wanting to be there first and being an early adopter of new technology.
I’m repeating myself but dev kits were available to devs that wanted them in spring 2020, and first M1 came out well over a year ago.

It’s tech world, more than one year and a half isn’t “quick”, it’s already dated.

To be fair, the transition was announced at WWDC 2020 and the dev kits weren't out until late summer. You can be sure that Apple did not prioritize small developers when those were sent out. My guess is that most won't have had access to a Silicon machine until commercial machines were actually out in late 2020 and some couldn't even justify the purchase until there were more users.

And again, there are developers that have ancient and/or x86 specific code that is hard to translate. There was a pandemic going on with all its psychological and economic realities.

I think we all need to learn to be a bit more empathic and patient with people. Except for PACE – they can go f**k themselves.

I'm repeating myself here again, "smaller" devs were the first to go native. Bigger with the more cashflow are the ones lagging behind.

So one year then. I'm sure PA/iZotope/Slate/PACE/Arturia/NI/<insert a dev still not native> could afford a 699$ Mac Mini one year ago.

Plugin Alliance was heavily affected by the flood in the North-Rhine Westfalia region in Germany, that surely must have ruffled up their shedules. Who knows what the reasons for the delay in the other companies is.

And it doesn't matter: bitching doesn‘t speed up the process. It is what it is. Spent your money elsewhere in the meantime.

On topic - d16 aren't lazy:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=576449
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

wvshpr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:58 pm Plugin Alliance was heavily affected by the flood in the North-Rhine Westfalia region in Germany, that surely must have ruffled up their shedules. Who knows what the reasons for the delay in the other companies is.

And it doesn't matter: bitching doesn‘t speed up the process. It is what it is. Spent your money elsewhere in the meantime.
Yeah dirk had to sell one of his supercars and the source codes were on the analog consoles so they were lost.
Further more, the flooded console somehow caused PA to withold distribution of M1 binaries from DS and UA.
The BX studio flood also somehow caused NI, arturia, slate, izotope to not be able to code and distribute M1 binaries!
Magical

Plugin Alliance AFAIK is not just one single guy developing on one machine. I'm a PA customer, and even though their plugins work through Rosetta 2 on my Mac mini M1, I find it quite deplorable that they haven't updated any plugin with native M1 support. Plus, since the debut of the M1 architecture, they have released a couple new plugins, yet none of these new ones are M1 native. And to complete the picture, there's no communication from PA about their plans on this matter.

Well, Arturia already updated V-Collection and Pigments to M1, so they are just half lazy now - FX Collection 2 M1 is hinted to happen 'early next year' (current year).

sguyader wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 pm And to complete the picture, there's no communication from PA about their plans on this matter.
Dirk communicates just with that facebook usergroup :dog:

Well, it was promissed to 'late november' and the last time that I checked he said January.

PA is indeed a lot of developers and probably some of them already had M1 versions, while others don't (The non-PA version of GigPerformer already has a M1 version, by example). Besides that, PA also waits for release a big update for everything 2 or 3 times in a year, and this kinda sucks honestly.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They released knifonium update a week after release, but granted it was a silly bug.
Also DS Thorn on PA page was updated to V1.3 in September 2021, and while you can get V1.3 M1 binary from Dmitry, the PA version is still x86 only. Go figure.

I mean, it's easier just not to expect anything from them and just take anything they do at face value.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:44 pm Small rant here..Why are so many developers so far behind in transitioning to Native Apple M1? Slate Digital, Plugin Alliance, Antares, Universal Audio, Native Instruments, iZotope, Softube, IK Multimedia just to name a few, are all behind in updating their plugins to run natively on M1. What’s going on?!

Shout out to FabFilter, Valhalla dsp, Waves, UVI, u-he, and all the developers who actually give a crap about users and have updated to M1 native. It makes no sense that M1 native support has been put off by a lot of these companies for so long. And to find out all the developers were notified 6 months-1 year in advance of the very first M1 MacBook releasing, yet here we are 3 years later and all these developers are not M1 native?! :evil:

And to make matters worse a lot of the developers who aren’t M1 native (looking at you Slate Digital) are CONSTANTLY emailing ads to buy their products, yet they are not updating and maintaining them? :dog:

Not one to rant but this is really ridiculous. I skipped the first generation of M1 because I knew it would take some time for the major plugin developers to go native. But yet here we are in 2022 and you have industry standard plug-ins like Kontakt, Auto Tune Pro, UAD not even native yet? Do developers even care these days? Very disappointed to say the least.
Hey OP, could you take the word lazy out of the thread title, please? It’s an unfounded insult to developers. We musicians and producers support developers and vice versa. KVR wouldn’t be the forum it is otherwise.

Thanks.

So first of all, SoftSynthLover99 said he was quitting KVR, so I don't think he's going to change the thread title.

Second of all, it is what it is. It's already been said, why change it? The attitude used to be: if you don't like what you're seeing, change the channel. Now unfortunately it seems to be: demand an apology, retraction, public flogging and cancellation. It's a sickness.

Third, some indie developers are lazy. They know how to do one thing, and they don't want to have to learn something new. Some of the public complaining seems to fit into that category.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Can you use the Exponential Audio plugins With Rosetta?

I can attest that R2 works with Rosetta under Big Sur, but don't have any others to verify. IZotope has officially declared no plan to upgrade any of them but this chart suggests they should work under Rosetta. I'd stick to Big Sur. Apparently they all break using Rosetta in Monterey.

Return to “Effects”