TO ALL Developers of Software Plugins ! Take out Personal Informations from Plugins !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 am Except Urs has already consulted lawyers about this and the outcome is that it's not illegal what u-he is doing. If it were, you can bet they'd change it.

Were you present when Urs discussed this with his lawyers?

Either way, it's yet another red herring. Facts are what they are. The law is what it says it is.
Last edited by jens on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am But when it comes to randomness, I would deem "random one of your customers" far more appropriate here. That is a small, but certainly not irrelevant difference.
I have no idea whether you're a customer or not. We value customer privacy and thus don't keep files on KVR nicknames or any of that stuff. As such, to me, you're a random guy on the internet who overblows a non-issue in a public space in order to make us look worse than we are. Please excuse me if I'm not grateful for you legal advice since we have professionals that way actually pay for this.

jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am Were you present when Urs discussed this with his lawyers?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please only buy software from companies where you're present when they talk to their lawyers.

If it's against some sort of law to put some info in part of the plugin like that, why hasn't anyone been sued in the past approx. 20 years of plugin development? I have no issue with it and I am sure many others feel the same way.

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 am
jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am But when it comes to randomness, I would deem "random one of your customers" far more appropriate here. That is a small, but certainly not irrelevant difference.
I have no idea whether you're a customer or not. We value customer privacy and thus don't keep files on KVR nicknames or any of that stuff. As such, to me, you're a random guy on the internet who overblows a non-issue in a public space in order to make us look worse than we are. Please excuse me if I'm not grateful for you legal advice since we have professionals that way actually pay for this.

It isn't me who is overblowing anything.

That is yet another red herring.

Claiming I was expecting yout to be grateful is another one.

I guess I should start counting them as I guess there'll be more. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am Facts are what they are. The law is what it says it is.
Yep. And the fact is, you're wrong on this one.

I have to agree with the data privacy guys

For Zebra 2 quick and dirty solution is to mod your Preset , Main and Perform Tabs (grafic) .
emphasis on dirty, this blue gray blob will stay on everything you do.
DE-Preset.png
Lite version of it is to mod the less used tab and then go to the first preset .
It´s sad that the Long John Silver get a better Privacy than we legit users :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:58 am
jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am Were you present when Urs discussed this with his lawyers?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please only buy software from companies where you're present when they talk to their lawyers.
Ah, there's the next red herring.

He claimed that you discussed this with "your lawyers". I basically asked him whether he knows for a fact that you did.

This discussion is about you violating EU law. It has nothing to do with software purchasing decisions.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 pm
jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am Facts are what they are. The law is what it says it is.
Yep. And the fact is, you're wrong on this one.
Except it clearly isn't.

I laught at some Youtube guys who use cracked Sylenth1 version :lol:
At the same time I proudly present mine :)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pmI basically asked him whether he knows for a fact that you did.
Yes, I do, because as u-he beta tester, we get some more insight on behind the scenes stuff. And the whole GDPR and privacy thing was definitely taken very seriously.

Feel free to stop this ludacris witch hunt that is completely baseless. Unless you're actually a lawyer by trade. Which you are not, right? Good.

"With hunt"... ah, there is the next huperbole, the next drama, the next red herring.

jens wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 pmIt isn't me who is overblowing anything.
You're literally accusing me of violating laws. Which I'm not.

You're also insinuating that I'm lying by the doubts you sow about the legal efforts we undertake.

My apologies if I think you're totally overblowing the issue.

If displaying a username / real name would be against the law, then banks/insurance companies wouldn’t show the username of their employees in their software.

Of course it’s different than a software bought for personal use, but if a real name / username was something so secret, then banks/insurance companies wouldn’t show those informations on every page of their front ends (they know a thing or two about law, trust me on this).

Of course those pages are not meant to be showed to the world over the internet (just to the internal support and maybe sometimes to the final customer)… a username / real name / email on the gui of a plugin is a matter of opportunity (since it can be shown on videos/livestreams by the user), but I’m quite sure it’s well within the boundaries of the law.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

It seems I triggered something…
Sorry for that, but my response was to the claim that some publish even the address… I don’t think U-He is on thin ice either, as it is only displayed on the init preset. I guess that is fine, though I love the inti sound of Diva, I probably would not use it on stage where random people could have a look on my screen. As long its hidden in normal operation, nothing wrong with it…
The big ones often display it when you start up an app (Adobe comes to mind…)
I guess these are fine, and its a very common practice since ages… (Gewohnheitsrecht?)
Still, I know my slightly foreign feeling when reading my name. I ignore it usually, I could even be proud that I licensed the software. But it clearly also shows, that this is a privacy issue outside of any legal impact. And it can be avoided.
A QR code somewhere on the UI, could be used to verify a license easily. If you scan it, it could lead to a web site that simply confirms it without exposing any name.
Another option would be to ask for a license which is bound to your artist name instead of your real name. Some sort of opt-in, very useful for vloggers like the OP I guess, they can show that using legit software is worth it…

There is no point for any sort of accusation! Some of my most beloved developers do it and I don’t have the slightest intention to put them into difficulties. On the other hand it is something which needs to be debated and it would only resolve if there are constructive proposals how to solve the problem…

Return to “Instruments”