Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Straight from the factory it seems...

What would a J8 cost if Roland decided to manufacture it again, identical to the original version?

More likely Behringer will copy it…

Roland J8 reissue: $4999
Behringer J8 emulation: $799

Jk, I have no idea
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:42 pm Straight from the factory it seems...

What would a J8 cost if Roland decided to manufacture it again, identical to the original version?
Forty thousand dollars. Same as you'd pay now for a unit in mint condition.

They wouldn't ever bother, though. Too much trouble.
I hate signatures too.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:42 pm What would a J8 cost if Roland decided to manufacture it again, identical to the original version?
The original cost $5,295 in 1985 (last year it was produced), so, adjusting for inflation, that would be 13,720 today.

...Of course, production techniques have vastly improved since 1985, so I think it would probably be about a quarter of that (total guess, not based on anything). That would make it about $3500. ...which I think is actually not a bad guess, TBH.

But, yeah, Behringer will make a version of it not long after the chip shortage ends (so, maybe in 2023 or 2024), no doubt. ...and I'd bet that one will come in at $1800 or so. Again: TOTAL guess, not based on any facts at all.

This comment is 99% speculation and 1% Google. Keep that in mind. :)

Having said all of that: I agree that Roland would never bother. It's really not at ALL their style.

sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 am Although I really like the idea of CLAP, I don’t really see it replacing anything anytime soon.
People claiming it being the next big thing are being delusional IMHO. It’s never gonna get much traction. Hope I’m wrong, though…
If Ableton Live adopts it, developers will flock to it like toddlers to cheerios and we’ll never see the .VST extension ever again except for plugins that are no longer developed.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 am Although I really like the idea of CLAP, I don’t really see it replacing anything anytime soon.
People claiming it being the next big thing are being delusional IMHO. It’s never gonna get much traction. Hope I’m wrong, though…
It already has enough traction to be a success for me. Bitwig is supporting it and so is u-he and those 2 developers right there make up a significant portion of my most used music software. Right there I am going to see real world benefits soonish. A few more plugin developers and I'm pretty much set.

Wrong thread perhaps?
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:34 am Wrong thread perhaps?
rsp
Is there a thread about this specific subject? I'd like to keep an eye on it (if it does exist indeed)

Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:51 am Is there a thread about this specific subject? I'd like to keep an eye on it (if it does exist indeed)
About CLAP?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=574861
I hate signatures too.

Would be nice to see TAL also in the CLAP club ;)

Also would be nice if some of the Super Jupiter's (MKS80) modulation routings would find its way into J8 (or a small modulation matrix).

J8 and Diva seem to be a great team ;)

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:05 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:51 am Is there a thread about this specific subject? I'd like to keep an eye on it (if it does exist indeed)
About CLAP?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=574861
Thank you!

cryophonik wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 pm Roland J8 reissue: $4999
Behringer J8 emulation: $799

Jk, I have no idea
I don't think Roland has any interested in doing an analog reissue (why give their customers something they'd want) but if they did, I think you got the price spot on. The Sequential Prophet-5 Rev. 4 is 10 voices and costs like $4,300, so I think Roland would charge a premium and could totally see it costing at least $4,999 for 8 voices.

Yep, seems realistic. The Behringer price as well. :D

Roland won't do it though.

The cost to retool IR3109s would probably drive any potential price sky high anyway. They COULD buy them from System-80, but that's not a very Roland proposition, and purists would probably scream about them sounding wrong anyway.

edit: System-80's solution isn't IC level compatible, just a reimplementation in a sub-circuit using a modern OTA, so that wouldn't suffice for purists at all.

Return to “Instruments”