Where can I try out Headphones in the UK?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The high street is dying. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Probably nowhere at the moment ... coz covid :scared:

MARs music 1999...we had em all on display, it was the entire concept of MARs music, everything on display and able to be demoed...the internet ended that :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Considering some DT 900 Pro X’s but doubt I’ll be able to find somewhere to listen to them before jumping in.

Hink wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 pm MARs music 1999...we had em all on display, it was the entire concept of MARs music, everything on display and able to be demoed...the internet ended that :shrug:
Yes. Been looking all over but nobody does the wall or rack of cans you can listen to anymore. So few Hi-Fi shops left and only a handful of music production emporiums.

Worth noting that if an Apple Store carries the headphones/earphones you want, they do a 14-day no quibble returns policy.

When I was unsure about some Sennheiser IEMs (IE9) back in the day, I told the salesman and he recommended I purchase them, use them for two-weeks, and return them no questions asked if I didn't like them. I did return them, no issues. (...and bought them again from Amazon because they were over £100 cheaper.)

I would never recommend this for smaller boutiques and such, you would potentially be damaging their bottom line, which is unfair; but with Apple being the largest company in the world (depending on your metric), my morals bend to that - that, and the salesman literally instructed me to do it.

SHall1000 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 pm
Hink wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 pm MARs music 1999...we had em all on display, it was the entire concept of MARs music, everything on display and able to be demoed...the internet ended that :shrug:
Yes. Been looking all over but nobody does the wall or rack of cans you can listen to anymore. So few Hi-Fi shops left and only a handful of music production emporiums.
Again it was how MARs started and likely what killed MARs, that 45 day return policy was a free rent to own, at the time we were not on commission which was good for us. We had a band once come in, buy 4k worth of recording gear, returned it and when asked why they were returning it they said "we finished the album". (not all could be returned)
Company history

Mark Begelman began Mars Music with the purchase of the five-store Ace Music store chain in south Florida. He had gone into one of the Ace Music locations to try a guitar amplifier, but a salesperson told him he couldn't turn up the volume, and that if he purchased it and didn't like it, he wouldn't be able to get a refund. Frustrated with his shopping experience and music stores' limited product selection, lack of clear pricing, and store personnel who wouldn't allow customers to try the merchandise, he used $10 million of his own funds to start Mars Music. The company slogan was "We love it when you touch the stuff" and the chain offered a great 45-day return policy.[2][3]
Before we went on commission the same held true for employees, play, have fun, impromptu jams on our 10,000 watt soundstage, I would program incredible light shows in the DJ room, it was a ball. The concept was we would let you try anything we had and it was great, also expensive.

I was at my store just about from the beginning, I left shortly after we went on commission and the chain crashed and burned (not because I left, I just figured I could move to a store ten minutes from my house with a better customer base). I could have worked at the old MARs forever, just zero pressure and a lot of fun. Also when we did these things setting things up like they wanted we often spent more time with a customer, we established strong relationships with our customers. When I left one guy from Rhode Island followed me to Nashua New Hampshire where I was working. For him I completely set up an ADAT system to demo the set up process, we had several ADAT systems on display but I put one together in front of him. Then boxed it all up for him and took it out to his car :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Richer Sounds? Pretty sure they're still going over there. I had a quick butchers at their website and they sell the full range - loads of Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer etc. Always used to be able to demo stuff at RS when I lived there (which is quite a few years ago admittedly), but I bought a Cambridge amp last time I visited home and the stores still let you play with stuff.

Actually I miss Richer Sounds - they sell some good stuff at good prices. Nothing like that down here. :(

Over your ears? :roll: :phones:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”