Fragile Gods - "Medicine"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thoroughly enjoyed that, as always!
great production and great little pop song. pulp do that dark tinged lyrics in gentle pop, i always liked it :)

like when you used to see couples on the dancefloor grooving to "love will tear us apart..." :hihi:

eassae wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:46 pm Nice work Frantz!
Thank you, sir. :)

folderol wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:02 pm As you can see, I commented 'over there' :D

Nice to see it pop up here too!
Thanks for commenting Here, There, and Everywhere. :)

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:44 pm :o ... the video is creepy. I'm not sure if this is more of a complaint or a compliment. probably if you take the text - more of a compliment. :)
There are some dark images in the video. I suppose the hanging dolls could be construed as "creepy" but I think there is more to it than that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

enroe wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:28 pm I've just watched your video:

Many associations - from voodoo dolls to the searching eye. The colorful
pills and syringes are almost spooky! Oooh, have a great trip through the
world of hypochondriacs and pill areas! Text, song and video are made
from one piece - fantastic! :tu:

The video is almost as much work and effort as the song itself. In that
respect, it's very amazing, very good! :wink:
The video is constructed from stock footage although not the usual corporate variety. There are a few people doing artistic and dark videos in that space. After finding the appropriate video clips, I overlayed a screen recording of me typing out the lyrics which helped personalize the clips I think.

Thanks for your detailed comments. Glad you liked it. :)

Pop done right... I enjoy everything you post here. Everything’s so well separated in the mix.

Frantz wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 pm Although it wasn't premeditated, I happen to like the contrast between the text and music. My tastes can be a little eccentric I guess. Thanks for your comments. :)
I think this clash/contrast is what gives the song a lot of its appeal. The melodies are light and pleasant. Some of the synth backing has a more ominous atmosphere, and the lyrics themselves contain no sugar-coating at all.

Two things I noticed were:-

1) at 1:23 (Soundcloud version) the bass synth drops out until 1:57. I think the song loses a little drive at that point. I think a minimal bass presence there might work.

2) "to cure this hopeless condition" might sound more "punchy" if replaced with a 6-syllable phrase - maybe something like "to fix this mess I'm in". It might be a better rhythmic fit with the music and allow you to up the vocal "intensity" in the last line of that chorus, assuming that you wanted/needed to.

I loved the melodies on here. The first few times I listened in early December they didn't go where I expected them to (which I enjoyed), but now I'm acquainted with them I'm enjoying them even more.

Your vocals are a great fit with Aika's again. Her harmonies are lovely. This is an all-round great track.

I hope your health issues continue to improve.

Good work :)

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:57 pm thoroughly enjoyed that, as always!
great production and great little pop song. pulp do that dark tinged lyrics in gentle pop, i always liked it :)

like when you used to see couples on the dancefloor grooving to "love will tear us apart..." :hihi:
You've perfectly grokked the vibe. Thanks for your comments vurt!

frank1985 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:29 am Pop done right... I enjoy everything you post here. Everything’s so well separated in the mix.
Thanks, glad you enjoy my stuff! :)

seismic1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:32 am I think this clash/contrast is what gives the song a lot of its appeal. The melodies are light and pleasant. Some of the synth backing has a more ominous atmosphere, and the lyrics themselves contain no sugar-coating at all.

Two things I noticed were:-

1) at 1:23 (Soundcloud version) the bass synth drops out until 1:57. I think the song loses a little drive at that point. I think a minimal bass presence there might work.

2) "to cure this hopeless condition" might sound more "punchy" if replaced with a 6-syllable phrase - maybe something like "to fix this mess I'm in". It might be a better rhythmic fit with the music and allow you to up the vocal "intensity" in the last line of that chorus, assuming that you wanted/needed to.

I loved the melodies on here. The first few times I listened in early December they didn't go where I expected them to (which I enjoyed), but now I'm acquainted with them I'm enjoying them even more.

Your vocals are a great fit with Aika's again. Her harmonies are lovely. This is an all-round great track.
I'm glad you enjoyed the melodies, vocals, and lyrics. :)

Regarding the points you raised:

1) In that section, I was going for an extreme contrast to everything that came before. I understand your point about the lack of bass/losing drive. It was sort of intentional. I could have been persuaded to rethink this if the feedback came earlier but once the song is on YouTube and Spotify, it's not really changeable like Soundcloud.

2) I agree that I may have squeezed in an extra syllable in that line. I thought it worked reasonably well. I do think "cure" and "condition" are more keeping to the subject of doctors and medicine than the alternative lyrics you suggested.

Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”